Overwhelming iPad 2 demand continues, Apple's online orders now ship in 4-5 weeks

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday was forced again to delay estimated shipping times for new iPad 2 orders, as those who buy must now wait four to five weeks for their order to be sent.

Yet another delay comes as stock of the iPad 2 around the U.S. is believed to be entirely sold out at all locations, including Apple's retail stores and partners. Some select Apple stores with new shipments of the iPad 2 are set to open early today, while many other stores await more stock in the face of crushing demand.

The latest delay applies to all models of the iPad 2, including Wi-Fi and both 3G models from AT&T and Verizon. It also includes all capacities: 16GB, 32GB and 64GB.

"Demand for the next generation iPad 2 has been amazing," Apple said in a statement to the press this week. "We are working hard to get iPad 2 into the hands of every customer who wants one as quickly as possible."

Tuesday's need to push back estimated shipping times is the latest in a string of delays since the iPad 2 first went on sale in the U.S. last Friday. Initial orders were scheduled to ship in a matter of days, but the wait was quickly pushed back to between two and three weeks.

On Saturday, Apple was forced to extend estimates to three to four weeks. Now, customers who hesitated to buy could be waiting over a month to receive their iPad 2.

Wall Street analysts generally expect that Apple sold at least a half million of the iPad 2 in its first weekend of availability. More bullish estimates have forecast Apple to have sold as many as 1 million at launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 97
    [greg][greg] Posts: 78member
    Remember all those people saying those waiting in line were stupid, and if they'd just been patient and waited a week or two, they'd be able to waltz right in and pick one up? Well... looks like they were wrong. This thing is red-hot.
  • Reply 2 of 97
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Absolutely crazy. I picked one up from Walmart and have been amazed at how thin and light it feels. I am so glad I didn't have to wait a month or so.
  • Reply 3 of 97
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    In line at the store in Cincy. A least 150 people at 8 am. Sigh, no iPad for me almost certainly.
  • Reply 4 of 97
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Fifth Avenue Apple store sold 7,200 iPads on launch day, according to this one article. That's a lot of iPads per hour.

http://www.businessinsider.com/here-...ley+Insider%29
  • Reply 5 of 97
    Quote:

"We are working hard to get iPad 2 into the hands of every customer who wants one as quickly as possible."

Yes Apple, work hard cracking the whip that makes the slaves pump these out faster. Apple you are not "working hard", your supply contractors are, ergo the common Chinese worker.

Taking a month to ramp up proper production is hardly rocket science.
  • Reply 6 of 97
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Anyone know if the Japanese quake will cause (or is causing) supply chain delays in the iPad? Does iFixit have a component source breakdown anywhere?
  • Reply 7 of 97
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Absolutely crazy. I picked one up from Walmart and have been amazed at how thin and light it feels. I am so glad I didn't have to wait a month or so.

Got mine launch day, Stamford, CT. Planned to be there at 4pm, but at 3pm got a bit anxious so I justified my obsession by saying I'd visit a bookstore, grab a coffee, and see what the line was like. 3:15, there were already possibly over a hundred people in front of me. Almost walked out then and there - historically I've been an "order it and have it come to me...I can take the wait" kind of guy, and I've never been one to stand in line.

Obviously, I did it anyway. Fifteen minutes later the line behind me was two hundred feet down the hall to the exit, then looped right back up to me and one hundred feet farther.

I'm extremely happy with it. Browsing is absolutely blazing fast compared to the first iPad. Quantitatively, it's not that much lighter, but it is enough of a difference to breach threshold...you will notice it immediately, and welcome it. It is also much, much more comfortable to hold. Not sure if it is the material or merely the thinness and flat back, but it is much less slippery as well. I'm drawing up a pre-nup agreement with it as I write this. I'm hoping for a boy, she's hoping for a girl, but really we'll be satisfied with two eyes, two arms, two legs, a beating heart, and a touchscreen.
  • Reply 8 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post

Yes Apple, work hard cracking the whip that makes the slaves pump these out faster. Apple you are not "working hard", your supply contractors are, ergo the common Chinese worker.

Taking a month to ramp up proper production is hardly rocket science.

They're getting paid and without Apple, they might not even have a job, or maybe they'd be standing in a rice field somewhere.

As for rocket science, you are clearly not a rocket scientist. It took the super popular iPhone 74 days to hit the 1 million mark, and Apple most likely sold that many iPad 2's in 1 day. The iPad 1, which was also a huge success moved 300,000 on launch.

iPad2's are being sold and probably 1 million people already have them in their hands. You and alot of the other people who like to second guess after the fact would make a bad CEO if you were in charge of Apple. Like I stated on a previous thread, the iPad is being adopted quicker than the VHS recorder, the DVD player, the game console and digital cameras.
  • Reply 9 of 97
    toyintoyin Posts: 58member
    Wow. Apple is on fire! I went to the Apple store opening day and saw the line and headed straight home. I ordered it online and will be waiting another 2-3 weeks. Ah Cest La Vie I'm in no rush and my current iPad makes the waiting easier.

Poor Motorola. I'd be just a tad worried about Xoom sales at this point.
  • Reply 10 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post

Poor Motorola. I'd be just a tad worried about Xoom sales at this point.

You're right about that.

The iPad 2 sold more in a matter of hours than the Xoom will sell for the entire quarter. It's estimated that the Xoom will sell around 300,000 for the entire quarter. Anybody who even mentions the Xoom in the same breath as iPad, and is seriously trying to compare the two is living on a different planet, or at the very least in a rubber padded room.
  • Reply 11 of 97
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They're getting paid and without Apple, they might not even have a job, or maybe they'd be standing in a rice field somewhere.

As for rocket science, you are clearly not a rocket scientist. It took the super popular iPhone 74 days to hit the 1 million mark, and Apple most likely sold that many iPad 2's in 1 day. The iPad 1, which was also a huge success moved 300,000 on launch.

iPad2's are being sold and probably 1 million people already have them in their hands. You and alot of the other people who like to second guess after the fact would make a bad CEO if you were in charge of Apple. Like I stated on a previous thread, the iPad is being adopted quicker than the VHS recorder, the DVD player, the game console and digital cameras.

agreed

apple's monster hits

just

keep getting bigger

the ipad2 seems like a great media machine.

• Reply 12 of 97
    Barely a year ago, that's what the naysayers were spouting.

I hope UK supplies are unaffected.
  • Reply 13 of 97
    teunisteunis Posts: 23member
    Wondering how much this will push back International shipping on release day.

sigh.

_teunis
  • Reply 14 of 97
    kubekube Posts: 40member
    The big thing is that in virtually every review iPad beats or trounces Zoom and Galaxy tab. I suspect many people were waiting for this generation of tablet, but on the fence about which to choose. The zoom sounded like it might have better specs. After the flock of reviews the choice is easy: iPad 2.
  • Reply 15 of 97
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Geez, again with the semantics, AI! Do you really know that Apple was "forced" to change its shipping time? Maybe they knew they were going to extend it before they even launched the iPad 2 based on their own manufacturing schedule (which they decide upon).

I wasn't an English major in college, but I still shouldn't have to point out improper wording. (Yes, I know, I'm being an ass, but IMHO it really makes a difference in the article's tone).

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 16 of 97
    Nooo...! When will iPad 2 reach my place then if even in the US the stock is still scarce.. ;-(

I want one now..
  • Reply 17 of 97
    Why have not any of you babblers correlate the announcements of extended shipping times with the timeline of the Japan disaster announcements? Over selling may be a cover for more desperate supply link problems.
  • Reply 18 of 97
    Any day now Apple will announce the revise international shipping date of iPad 2. To 4 weeks.
    Quote:

_sigh/

• Reply 19 of 97
    I wonder how long it will take to buy one of these in Canada once they start selling them on March 25th. I was able to get my iPhone 4 only on Sept 28, before that Rogers was constantly out of stock and as far as I know even mid-January it was difficult to buy iPhone 4 in Canada from Rogers.
  • Reply 20 of 97
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

Geez, again with the semantics, AI! Do you really know that Apple was "forced" to change its shipping time? Maybe they knew they were going to extend it before they even launched the iPad 2 based on their own manufacturing schedule (which they decide upon).

I wasn't an English major in college, but I still shouldn't have to point out improper wording. (Yes, I know, I'm being an ass, but IMHO it really makes a difference in the article's tone).

-=|Mgkwho

I agree!