Overwhelming iPad 2 demand continues, Apple's online orders now ship in 4-5 weeks

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 97
    boogabooga Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    You're right about that.



    The iPad 2 sold more in a matter of hours than the Xoom will sell for the entire quarter. It's estimated that the Xoom will sell around 300,000 for the entire quarter. Anybody who even mentions the Xoom in the same breath as iPad, and is seriously trying to compare the two is living on a different planet, or at the very least in a rubber padded room.



    I'm not so sure. It all comes down to supply. If Apple can't build enough iPads, they might not be able to take advantage of the fire they started, and people might get frustrated and go for a Xoom. And buy Android apps and lock themselves in. Apple has a real risk here, and the iPad2's buildability matters a lot more at this point than any other spec the device has.
  • Reply 22 of 97
    [greg][greg] Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post


    Yes Apple, work hard cracking the whip that makes the slaves pump these out faster. Apple you are not "working hard", your supply contractors are, ergo the common Chinese worker.



    Taking a month to ramp up proper production is hardly rocket science.



    Wrong latin phrase -- you want "id est", not "ergo". Ergo, you're an idiot.
  • Reply 23 of 97
    wheeleswheeles Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post


    Anyone know if the Japanese quake will cause (or is causing) supply chain delays in the iPad? Does iFixit have a component source breakdown anywhere?



    Congratulations, you've just stumbled into the elephant in the room. Anyone thinking that Apple will be unaffected by events in Japan shows just how little they know about think impact of global events on a global company.



    Yes, demand is overwhelming whenever there are supply constraints. That is the nature of supply and demand.
  • Reply 24 of 97
    bmoviebmovie Posts: 88member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toyin View Post


    Wow. Apple is on fire! I went to the Apple store opening day and saw the line and headed straight home. I ordered it online and will be waiting another 2-3 weeks. Ah Cest La Vie I'm in no rush and my current iPad makes the waiting easier.



    Poor Motorola. I'd be just a tad worried about Xoom sales at this point.



    Looks like we may not have to worry about the "Flash in the pan" for too long! A million people have voted and Android's argument/advantage will vanish in a puff of vapor.
  • Reply 25 of 97
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,938member
    We need some balance here. We need DaHarder to post pictures of his superior Galaxy Tabs and Xooms. We need some pontifications about the deal killing flaws of the iPad 2. We need some "no Flash, no deal" tirades. Oh, and a few iSheep comments wouldn't hurt either.
  • Reply 26 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post


    Yes Apple, work hard cracking the whip that makes the slaves pump these out faster. Apple you are not "working hard", your supply contractors are, ergo the common Chinese worker.



    Taking a month to ramp up proper production is hardly rocket science.



    You forgot to stamp your little feet.
  • Reply 27 of 97
    ssls6ssls6 Posts: 49member
    I'm sure they get flash from japan, I would expect they are changing the supply balance as we speak.
  • Reply 28 of 97
    bmoviebmovie Posts: 88member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    You're right about that.



    The iPad 2 sold more in a matter of hours than the Xoom will sell for the entire quarter. It's estimated that the Xoom will sell around 300,000 for the entire quarter. Anybody who even mentions the Xoom in the same breath as iPad, and is seriously trying to compare the two is living on a different planet, or at the very least in a rubber padded room.



    Motorola should take advantage of the situation and reduce the price of their tablet?"Xoom?$595. No Waiting!" Unfortunately when its time for buyers to mail back their Xooms for the one-week upgrade to 4G, Apple can run ads with "No Waiting" too. Won't be long before the Xoom becomes the Zune.
  • Reply 29 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheeles View Post


    Congratulations, you've just stumbled into the elephant in the room. Anyone thinking that Apple will be unaffected by events in Japan shows just how little they know about think impact of global events on a global company.



    Yes, demand is overwhelming whenever there are supply constraints. That is the nature of supply and demand.



    Actually, your comments demonstrate how little you know about Apple's supply chain. Apple only get flash drives from Japan and the factory was unaffected by the the recent events. Congratulations, you just stumbled into letting everyone know what you don't know. Get catch phrases in your post though, but utter rubbish.
  • Reply 30 of 97
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,571member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ssls6 View Post


    I'm sure they get flash from japan, I would expect they are changing the supply balance as we speak.



    It's still uncertain how much the events in Japan will affect Apple I think.



    Memory chip prices are sharply on the rise though. If there's an added delay due to the events in Japan, then people will just have to wait. It's not like they have any choice. And people complaining about it won't help either. I'm sure that there are more important things going on at the moment than people getting their iPad 2's. I think that other manufacturers will be more greatly affected than Apple though, especially other mobile phone manufacturers.



    Toshiba Corporation, which supplies Nand chips to companies including Apple, said it had halted operations in parts of Japan that were hit by the earthquake. It also closed other sites following a request by Tokyo Electric Power Company to reduce electricity consumption.



    Toshiba, which supplies a third of the world’s Nand chips, said it had closed three plants in the Kanto area. Four other factories in Tokyo and in the adjacent Kanagawa prefecture have reduced operations.



    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/42c66e52-4...#axzz1Gg7xQ4ER
  • Reply 31 of 97
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,571member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmovie View Post


    Motorola should take advantage of the situation and reduce the price of their tablet?"Xoom?$595. No Waiting!" Unfortunately when its time for buyers to mail back their Xooms for the one-week upgrade to 4G, Apple can run ads with "No Waiting" too. Won't be long before the Xoom becomes the Zune.



    They can always resort to a "Buy one Get one Free" deal, which is the case with many of those android phones.
  • Reply 32 of 97
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,571member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennypacker View Post


    Actually, your comments demonstrate how little you know about Apple's supply chain. Apple only get flash drives from Japan and the factory was unaffected by the the recent events. Congratulations, you just stumbled into letting everyone know what you don't know. Get catch phrases in your post though, but utter rubbish.



    I was reading that the CPU is made by Samsung and Samsung also makes a ton of nand memory, so it kind of makes sense that both of those would come from Samsung. I don't know for sure, I'm just speculating here.
  • Reply 33 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post


    Wrong latin phrase -- you want "id est", not "ergo". Ergo, you're an idiot.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post


    Yes Apple, work hard cracking the whip that makes the slaves pump these out faster. Apple you are not "working hard", your supply contractors are, ergo the common Chinese worker.



    Taking a month to ramp up proper production is hardly rocket science.



    Vandelay, if you buy any of those ipod, iphone or ipad, you are not just an idiot you are a fake too!
  • Reply 34 of 97
    Hmm, looking like the UK launch might be a bit iPad 2 free if things stay like this.

    I'm sure they are saving a few for us \
  • Reply 35 of 97
    Have any of the NYC or East Coast Apple stores restocked Ipad 2's today? I was in the Santa Monica Apple store yesterday and one of the employees said they may get a shipment on Tuesday morning.
  • Reply 36 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post


    Wrong latin phrase -- you want "id est", not "ergo". Ergo, you're an idiot.



    Ack... first, spelling nazis, then grammar nazis, now Latin Nazis!!!



    "Bibo Ergo Sum ebrius"
  • Reply 37 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    It's still uncertain how much the events in Japan will affect Apple I think.



    Memory chip prices are sharply on the rise though. If there's an added delay due to the events in Japan, then people will just have to wait. It's not like they have any choice. And people complaining about it won't help either. I'm sure that there are more important things going on at the moment than people getting their iPad 2's. I think that other manufacturers will be more greatly affected than Apple though, especially other mobile phone manufacturers.



    Toshiba Corporation, which supplies Nand chips to companies including Apple, said it had halted operations in parts of Japan that were hit by the earthquake. It also closed other sites following a request by Tokyo Electric Power Company to reduce electricity consumption.



    Toshiba, which supplies a third of the world?s Nand chips, said it had closed three plants in the Kanto area. Four other factories in Tokyo and in the adjacent Kanagawa prefecture have reduced operations.



    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/42c66e52-4...#axzz1Gg7xQ4ER



    some argue that this will take weeks to walk through the supply chain... However, it's my understanding that Apple's Supply chain is one of the tightest in the industry, and it will likely hit production in a matter of less than 2 weeks.



    However My real worry is the impact on the demand side... if this disaster worsens, will it cause a global 'double dip' in recession and impact sales long term. Japan is definitely going to be impacted directly.... spend money on heating, gas, food (my reports from Tokyo is that food is now in short supply, and will be for several weeks).... or an iPad2?
  • Reply 38 of 97
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,571member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syracuse View Post


    Have any of the NYC or East Coast Apple stores restocked Ipad 2's today? I was in the Santa Monica Apple store yesterday and one of the employees said they may get a shipment on Tuesday morning.



    NYC stores got restock. I was going to head out right now, but I think that it's too late already, so I'll probably wait until tomorrow and just leave early.



    Huge lines. You'd think it was launch day.
  • Reply 39 of 97
    rtkanertkane Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post


    Yes Apple, work hard cracking the whip that makes the slaves pump these out faster. Apple you are not "working hard", your supply contractors are, ergo the common Chinese worker.



    Taking a month to ramp up proper production is hardly rocket science.



    It's not about ramping up production, it's about switching your production line over to a new product while phasing out an old one. Apple (and every other company) doesn't build a production line based on what initial demand is going to be, but rather demand over the long haul. Why build a facility that can crank out 100,000 units a day if you're on-going demand is only going to be 10,000/day? Sure, you might be able to meet initial demand more easily, but your capital investment is going to waste as production lines sit idle (and ultimately those would get passed through to the consumer in the form of higher prices).



    So Apple is forced to make a choice between when they expect to be able to discontinue production on an old model (iPad 1) and start production on the next one (iPad 2) and how many units they can produce before old stocks run dry. It amazes me to think that people really believe there's a conspiracy (not saying you do) that Apple artificially holds back stock on a launch and would rather people go away pissed without an iPad then make a $600 sale. They may manipulate pre-orders and release times, etc. to affect PR of the release, but to purposely choose a potential lost sale over dollars in hand is crazy. Especially with a product that may, in part, heavily rely on people's inability to avoid impulse purchases built up from excitement. I guarantee some folks that would've bought on day 1 will have a lot of time to think in the next 4-5 weeks and come to the realization that, "you know what, I really don't need it and probably should use the money to pay for <INSERT MORE IMPORTANT ITEM THAN IPAD 2 HERE> that I've been putting off". Crazy I tell you! Apple and its shareholders don't want that.



    Anyway, Apple will run their lines like crazy trying to build up a decent supply for an initial launch, but there's just no realistic way to build capacity to meet the demand of a product launch like this. And if they waited a month to launch until they did have a larger initial supply, they're maybe out of market for most of that month because remember, they've cut off old production and enough demand exists to bleed existing stock. I would imagine it's a pretty fine balancing act between "what can we produce of next gen stock" and "what stocks do we have of old product before we run out" to determine a launch day. And I'd think that this even played into what price points they were willing to drop old product stock to to sell it out and keep people interested in iPads for the 9 or 10 days between announcement of iPad 2 and its release.
  • Reply 40 of 97
    I managed to get my order in a few minutes early, 12:51am PST for a ATT 64gb Wifi + 3G. All the accessories other than dock have shipped and the iPad 2 stills says delivery between the 18th-25th..



    Still glad I didn't stand in line or wait but I'm totally drooling for my iPad 2



    RobStar
Sign In or Register to comment.