Apple iTunes takes just 4% of US digital video market as Netflix dominates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 112
    Too bad NetFlix doesn't have any HD movies that are current. I'll take my rentals on iTunes for $4.99 over a $9.00 a month subscription to nothing worth watching.
  • Reply 22 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Subscription music = Fail.

Subscription video = Win.

It's just that simple, people...

For me the equation is:

Subscription music = win = Subscription video

I love my Rhapsody subscription. A vast catalog of music to enjoy for less than the price of a CD (or iTunes album) each month. How can you really beat that? I've got the freedom to explore various artists and genres that I just couldn't get any other way.
  • Reply 23 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Maybe a good acquisition for Apple? Just over 10 Billion. ... iFlix?

Once the various ISPs buy up or make exclusive deals with the studios -- and start streaming movies themselves -- Netflix will become redundant.
  • Reply 24 of 112
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Unless you're willing to cut the cable cord, iTunes TV downloads and Amazon VOD TV downloads just don't make much sense for anything more than the occasional missed episode that you can't find on demand or on a network's web site.

I cut the cable cord, entirely using iTunes. (Thankfully, the shows I wanted to watch were on iTunes.)

I added up how much my yearly cable bill would be, vs. how many iTunes Season Passes I could get for the same cost. Answer: a lot more shows than I actually desire to watch first-run!

Meanwhile, Hulu, Netflix, and my local library are all great ways to watch non first-run stuff. And since good, thoughtful shows are the most likely to be cancelled, there?s some benefit in waiting!

iTunes fills a niche for me, as does Hulu, but I plan to resume using Netflix as my top video service. The selection can?t be beat.
  • Reply 25 of 112
    I have ATV1 and netflix.com acct.

we watch about 80% netflix,

5% iTMS content,

and 15% 'I plead the fifth on where that content came from, Your Honor'

(note to self... need to move Transmission and all torrent content on a removable, encrypted disk, that is set to 3 tries and self-destruct with a MilSpec 7pass Erase setting).
  • Reply 26 of 112
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

This is what I've been calling for for years! YAY! I'm totally willing to pay the fee.

Thank you.

Is there that much good stuff on the BEEB these days to be worth the fee? I ask as I haven't been able to watch it in 20 years since moving to the States.

BTW (and un related to my first question) On my few visits I did notice I could no longer understand many of the newscasters due to strong regional accents, a far cry from BBC English I remember! What happened?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...al-iplayer-app
  • Reply 27 of 112
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    I'm most likely a little off the average, as I don't have cable or satellite. If I used iTunes in place of HuluPlus and NetFlix I would probably be paying $100 or more a month. Sorry, that's just way too much. And RedBox et al have set the price for movie rental at 25% of the iTunes movie price, so iTunes loses there as well.

Just to watch The Daily Show from iTunes would cost $40 a month, plus it's usually delivered much later than Hulu.

iTunes gets the 4% of users who are not price sensitive. It's too bad for me, because I'd much rather have Apple TV than Roku, but I guess I'm just too cheap.
  • Reply 28 of 112
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Residential DSL will be capped at 150GB. That's way more than you'll need in a month for a HEAVY Netflix watcher.

I'm not supporting AT&T's decision in any way, but they're doing this to stop the torrenters who download 100 movies a month. It's very unlikely that it'll affect you or anyone you know. According to AT&T, we're talking less than 2%.

Quote:

Yeah, 250GB is a LOT.

Anyways, it's not surprising that Netflix is far in the lead. I pay $9/month, and can watch as many movies on streaming as I want to. Granted, most of the ones I want to see they don't offer on streaming, but still.

250GB is merely adequate and should be the bare minimum. I can regularly hit that number, and in months during which I'm at home a lot (December and January) I can easily hit 350-450GB.

If ISPs are going to give us modems and plans that have the theoretical capability of downloading upwards of 1300GB a month, then they should expect customers to want to get full value for their money. There is no such thing as a "bandwidth hog." Arbitrary limits are simply that, arbitrary. There is no basis in logic for choosing that number.
  • Reply 29 of 112
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

Once the various ISPs buy up or make exclusive deals with the studios -- and start streaming movies themselves -- Netflix will become redundant.

Yes, probably true. Bag of hurt
  • Reply 30 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I read a week or so ago that iPlayer is going global. It said in the US it will be < $10 per month.

I'll be interested to see exactly what will be included (rights issues), but I'd pay $10 for this.

Doctor Who will air in the US the same day as the UL for the first time ever this season. They also filmed in the US for the first time. Torchwood is also picking up some US actors for the cast and being backed by Starz network where it will presumably air, perhaps on the same days in both countries.
  • Reply 31 of 112
    [QUOTE=AaronJ;1829325 I do have to be careful where I point the remote, though, as my iMac is at a ~90-deg. angle from where my ATV2 is. A couple times I was trying to play a movie, and the Beatles started playing. [/QUOTE]

If you take a moment to pair your remote to the Apple TV, that annoying problem disappears ... Just look under settings and then remotes ... Your remote will then only work on that Apple TV, no mater what other iDevices are around.
  • Reply 32 of 112
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Is there that much good stuff on the BEEB these days to be worth the fee? I ask as I haven't been able to watch it in 20 years since moving to the States.

If Doctor Who were the only thing, it would be worth it.
  • Reply 33 of 112
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

If you take a moment to pair your remote to the Apple TV, that annoying problem disappears ... Just look under settings and then remotes ... Your remote will then only work on that Apple TV, no mater what other iDevices are around.

Oh, yeesh. I should have done that myself.

Thanks for the heads-up.
  • Reply 34 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Residential DSL will be capped at 150GB. That's way more than you'll need in a month for a HEAVY Netflix watcher.

Quote:

Yeah, 250GB is a LOT...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

250GB is merely adequate and should be the bare minimum. I can regularly hit that number, and in months during which I'm at home a lot (December and January) I can easily hit 350-450GB.

I agree with dualie. I don't what you guys think a lot is, but my wife and I pretty much exclusively watch netflix (we work different schedules so maybe 4 hours a day). Combined with regular internet usage, we use 230-250GB a month.
  • Reply 35 of 112
    Quote:

BTW (and un related to my first question) On my few visits I did notice I could no longer understand many of the newscasters due to strong regional accents, a far cry from BBC English I remember! What happened?

For me it depends on what actually ends up being available. I would assume rights issues will prevent the full iPlayer being available in the US. For example, Ricky Gervais' productions are co-produced by the BBC and HBO, and I assume HBO will hold the exclusive rights to show that stuff in the US - I'm sure there will be a few things like that.

However, I'd be happy to pay $10 per month for Have I Got News For You and Question Time alone.

I know what you mean about the regional accents on BBC News. It's the outcome of 13 years of a Labour government in my opinion. They put pressure on the BBC to cover things other than London more (which in itself is a sensible goal), but the BBC interpreted that to mean they had to have regional accents, which if they are hard to understand, does not make sense.
  • Reply 36 of 112
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    the reasons for NetFlix success are simple - a great low price for the service and no time limits on watching anything. snailmail BD's and a huge DVD catalog (which can be ripped) add options for those looking for more. it's a great deal for consumers, hence its 60%+ market share.

all the more more expensive a la carte services like iTunes can offer for the home viewer is earlier access to the big hits. but only the impatient really need that. and you can just do it the few times you feel the urge. their biggest audience is probably mobil device users who are traveling and want to kill some time with a recent movie. there is no sales volume in that model. hence Apple's 4% share.

the problem is, the mediacos hate NetFlix. maybe even more than iTunes now. they see their product being sold too cheap and kicking back too little cash to them. and the telcos hate it too, because it uses them as "dumb pipes."

the new AT&T 150G monthly data cap is the first effort by these guys to get a bigger piece of NetFlix action. more telco limits will follow. and all the mediacos will demand sharply higher license fees when those contracts come up for renewal.

so the direct and indirect cost of NetFlix will be going up. a lot.
  • Reply 37 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by un_plug View Post

I agree with dualie. I don't what you guys think a lot is, but my wife and I pretty much exclusively watch netflix (we work different schedules so maybe 4 hours a day). Combined with regular internet usage, we use 230-250GB a month.

As someone who almost certainly uses less than 50Gb per month (I'm a light Netflix user, and download a few albums a month) I could be inclined to say it's fair enough you pay more than I do.

However, charging by use is only fair if they charge a fair rate. The incremental cost per Gb for a network provider is close to nothing (in the rage of cents, not dollars), so if they were to charge, for example, $5 per extra 100Gb, that would be fair. $50 per 100Gb would not.

Speaking of network providers, you might all be interested in this blog done by Netflix, which compares ISPs in terms of throughput. If you have a choice between two or three, it might be a useful tool.

http://techblog.netflix.com/2011/01/...-networks.html
  • Reply 38 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I cut the cable cord, entirely using iTunes. (Thankfully, the shows I wanted to watch were on iTunes.)

I added up how much my yearly cable bill would be, vs. how many iTunes Season Passes I could get for the same cost. Answer: a lot more shows than I actually desire to watch first-run!

I did exactly the same thing which led me to purchased the 1st-gen AppleTV. $100/month for Comcast = $1200/yr. With season passes anywhere from $20-50 that's between 24-60 series I could purchase. Since I watch about six shows religiously, I save about $1000/yr (plus no commercials and I can rewatch shows if I want).

Quote:

I do have to be careful where I point the remote, though, as my iMac is at a ~90-deg. angle from where my ATV2 is. A couple times I was trying to play a movie, and the Beatles started playing.

You know you can pair your remotes, right? By default every device will see every Apple Remote, but you can pair them so that you won't accidentally trip the wrong machine .
  • Reply 39 of 112
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    Netflix is pretty good, but as soon as someone can bring to market an instant streaming service with more current/popular releases, they will get killed. It's really annoying how much isn't on streaming. But nobody else is any better, so meh.
  • Reply 40 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Unless you're willing to cut the cable cord, iTunes TV downloads and Amazon VOD TV downloads just don't make much sense for anything more than the occasional missed episode that you can't find on demand or on a network's web site.

Agreed. I so want to cut the cord but unfortunately I can't find a good (and legit) source for my Forumula 1, Moto GP, WSBK and AMA Supercross/Motocross fix. iTunes could pretty much cover eveything else I really care about which are Discovery & History Channel shows.