Apple delays launch of iPad 2 in Japan in wake of earthquake disaster

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Though Japan was originally scheduled to be one of a number of countries where the iPad 2 will launch next week, Apple announced on Wednesday that it has delayed the launch while the country works to recover from the recent earthquake and tsunami disaster.

The iPad 2 was supposed to go on sale in Japan on March 25. But on Tuesday, the delay was announced, and a new sale date was not revealed, according to Reuters.

"We are delaying the launch of the iPad 2 in Japan while the country and our teams focus on recovering from the recent disaster," Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris reportedly said.

The iPad 2 is still scheduled to go on sale March 25 in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the U.K. Apple has said that availability for many more countries around the world will occur in the coming months. Further international availability and pricing will be announced at a later date.

As Apple gears up for an international launch, the company has struggled to meet demand in the U.S., where the iPad 2 went on sale last Friday. Apple is believed to be completely sold out of its touchscreen tablet in all of its own retail stores, as well as partners' locations.

In response to the disaster in Japan, Apple over the weekend began accepting Red Cross donations through iTunes. Through a page devoted to the tragedy (iTunes link), users can donate in amounts of $5, $10, $25, $50, $100 and $200. One-hundred percent of contributions will go to the American Red Cross.

An unnamed Apple Store manager also revealed that Apple retail stores in Japan have become a rallying point for citizens following last week's devastating earthquake and tsunami. Crowds have reportedly flocked to Apple's stores to stay connected, gain Internet access, and recharge their smartphones in order to make calls and reach loved ones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Makes sense, iPads might not be the priority there. Plus, deliveries and infrastructure could be better used for relief supplies.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    never mind
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Makes sense, iPads might not be the priority there. Plus, deliveries and infrastructure could be better used for relief supplies.

I completely agree. In this time of tragedy, it is more important to get supplies where they need to be rather to put an extra burden on the infrastructure with iPad deliveries.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    There are lines enough as people use the Apple Store for communications, charging their phones, getting news, and apparently even sleeping there (for employees). No need to add to the chaos right now.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    With rolling blackouts, gas shortages, food shortages in places, not to mention all of the other stuff happening with the reactors, there's no way that they could have launched I think.

What Apple is doing with the donations through iTunes is fine and all, but I'm surprised that they haven't donated anything themselves yet, like some other big companies have already done. Maybe they could match every donation made through iTunes. Even Charlie Sheen has donated a portion of his ticket sales.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

With rolling blackouts, gas shortages, food shortages in places, not to mention all of the other stuff happening with the reactors, there's no way that they could have launched I think.

What Apple is doing with the donations through iTunes is fine and all, but I'm surprised that they haven't donated anything themselves yet, like some other big companies have already done. Maybe they could match every donation made through iTunes. Even Charlie Sheen has donated a portion of his ticket sales.

Not all companies choose to announce their givings. It is possible that Apple and many other comapnies are giving without announcing to the media.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    apple is a quiet giver and does it regularly.

medical donations are big including help given to finance hospitals.

steve jobs is sub rosa and wants to stay that way. the only time he wants to broadcast something is when he wants to promote a new product such as the ipad2.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    The only thing the bothers me about this decision is that there might be a lot of people in Japan who could really use the distraction an iPad 2 could bring. Not everyone can help the recovery all the time.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Have there really been rolling blackouts?

I heard that the blackouts were planned but turned out to be unnecessary. People are voluntarily limiting their energy usage and others are already cut off anyway.

This isn't meant to diminish the scale of the tragedy... just trying to get the details right.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Have there really been rolling blackouts?

I'm not sure if they're voluntary or mandatory yet, but I did find this article.

Toshiba has halted production of flash-memory chips for the iPad 2 and Nintendo 3DS. “They are reporting that their supply could be (down) as much as 20% in the next couple months,” says analyst Dale Ford at market research firm iSuppli.

Rolling blackouts could take toll on Japan’s economy

http://www.usatoday.com/money/econom...-blackouts.htm

Actually, they are in effect:

Due to the damaged power infrastructure, Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) has announced rolling blackouts across its service region.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/japan...#ixzz1Gh8JSjUB[
  • Reply 11 of 43
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

there might be a lot of people in Japan who could really use the distraction

That may be true but one truck delivering iPads is one less truck available for delivering food and other essential supplies for the survivors.

There were many vehicles wrecked during the catastrophe so it's likely every spare truck needs to be pressed into service for essential supplies.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    sticknicksticknick Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

The only thing the bothers me about this decision is that there might be a lot of people in Japan who could really use the distraction an iPad 2 could bring. Not everyone can help the recovery all the time.

Really?

I'm pretty sure the *last* thing on anyone's mind in Japan at the moment is buying a new iPad.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    It's great that the Apple stores in Japan are helping people in need.

Anyway, at the moment, Apple can sell all the iPads they can produce without selling any in Japan. That will surely continue to be the case at least until the next round of international launches following March 25th.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

Really?

I'm pretty sure the *last* thing on anyone's mind in Japan at the moment is buying a new iPad.

I'm pretty sure that you would be surprised at what is on their mind...
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm pretty sure that you would be surprised at what is on their mind...

I've to agree. Some might even think "I wish I could just used the iPad2 once before the radiation consumed me...."
  • Reply 16 of 43
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

I'm not sure if they're voluntary or mandatory yet, but I did find this article.

Toshiba has halted production of flash-memory chips for the iPad 2 and Nintendo 3DS. ?They are reporting that their supply could be (down) as much as 20% in the next couple months,? says analyst Dale Ford at market research firm iSuppli.

Rolling blackouts could take toll on Japan?s economy

http://www.usatoday.com/money/econom...-blackouts.htm

Actually, they are in effect:

Due to the damaged power infrastructure, Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) has announced rolling blackouts across its service region.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/japan...#ixzz1Gh8JSjUB[

I'm curious if these ever actually took effect.

On the news last night they specifically said that the announced rolling blackouts never happened.

Its tough to know for sure yet.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    [greg][greg] Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPad 2 is still scheduled to go on sale March 25 in ... Canada ... Mexico ...

With stores sold out, and online purchases delayed by 4-5 weeks, I wonder how many Americans will be crossing the borders to try and pick one up... I live in Buffalo, and would definitely consider a short trip to Toronto, or a suburb thereof...
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I'm curious if these ever actually took effect.

I think that they did, because this article which I just found is from March 16, so it's pretty new.

TOKYO : Tokyo Electric Power on Tuesday imposed further power outages affecting around five million Japanese households, including in parts of the capital, following last week's massive earthquake.

The company plans to continue the rolling power cuts Wednesday.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...116760/1/.html
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

They are not necessarily substitutes. Moreover, it's not reasonable to suppose that the supply chain and customer chain in a $5 trillion economy will come to a standstill because of this. Even if it does, perhaps for no more than a couple of weeks.

IMHO, here is a huge over-reaction going on in markets (just like the nuclear issue is being totally hyped by an uninformed press).

All that said, for purely 'the optics might not look good' reasons, it might be a sensible decision on Apple's part.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post

With stores sold out, and online purchases delayed by 4-5 weeks, I wonder how many Americans will be crossing the borders to try and pick one up... I live in Buffalo, and would definitely consider a short trip to Toronto, or a suburb thereof...

Canadians don't like iPads or something? I have no idea, but don't you think that they're going to be in demand there too? Apple fanatics will form long lines no matter where they are from I think.