Sellout of latest iPad 2 shipment raises questions about Apple's international launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I did own a box of 5 1/4" floppy disks which I used on that machine. I think that they were Verbatim.

I still use 5.25" floppies. One of my samplers (an E-Mu SP-12 Turbo) uses a Commodore 1541II disk drive for loading and saving.

Apple ][c, or ][gs would be a more logical evolution given that the /// was a dud. I was a Commodore user back in the day, but spent every minute I could using Apples at school and a local library. I used to write programs in BASIC that switched to the Apple ][e's color scheme, simulated a boot time, and then had a basic interpreter that would turn commands like LOAD "$",8 into CATALOG. I had an imaginary company whose offices were in a tree in my back yard called "Apple Upgrade" whose sole purpose was creating software that ran Apple ][ programs on different platforms. That was long before I knew what an emulator was.

That was when I wasn't drawing mock up designs for video game systems with cartridge inputs for every console or hi-fi equipment I wished I could own.

Proudest Apple ][ moment might have been a day that a substitute was in our computer class. We had a typing program written in BASIC and you could just send an interrupt and modify the code. I changed it so that you only had to hit one button to move to the next letter and increase your score, added an intro that said, "This game sucks," and then saved it to the disk.
  • Reply 62 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

The iPad demand is found outside the US, right? Apple knows this, right? Constrained shipments in the US are for a reason...the launch of this year's iPad outside the US will go on as planned.\

EXACTLY.

Who is the idiot writing these posts?

Do they have *any* idea how a company manages international quotas etc?!

I'm sure there will be shortages in all countries the iPad is launched, but they're not going to suddenly direct all international stock to the US are they?

What a dumb post.
  • Reply 63 of 121
    arjnyarjny Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Artificial supply shortage to drive demand - lineups and mass impulse buying expedited.

How do you drive a market to covet your product - tell them it's in limited supply.

This tactic is routine in a lot of business. People want what they can't have.

Nowhere is this practiced more then in the tech industry.

Also a great way to determine and monitor market demand.

Could this be the case here? The timing of the international release is interesting. It's different from their iPhone strategy, but that may be because of carriers.

It is not an issue with artificial supply. Walked by the New York Store hoping they had them in stock. The staff was telling everyone that they were going to begin selling iPad's again at 9:30. Unfortunately, there were already over 500 people in line and I had an appt at 11. The line went from 5th to Madison, then from 58th to 59th on madison and then was extending back upon 59th to 5th. Unfortunately, at least half the line seemed to be people paid to stand in line to buy ipads for shipment overseas.
  • Reply 64 of 121
    jacksonsjacksons Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Perhaps Xoom, Playbook and Galaxy sales departments should try that, it might help . Apple on the other hand really sells everything they can make. Hard to take for Apple haters I know, my heart goes out to them.

Somehow Microsoft managed to sell 10 million Kinects without any lineups.
  • Reply 65 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

On this account, I agree. There is no credible competition in the full service consumer tablet arena (much to the consternation of the fandroids!). None! This is surprising, shocking and, one can only assume, bound to change at some point.

My theory is that Apple had some production snags in the ramp-up but kept the launch on schedule because they had to assume real competition was coming. If they had known that Honeycomb would seem half baked and that the Xoom would be over-priced and uninspired, maybe they could have allowed themselves to build out a few million to deal with launch insanity...

No doubt they hit production snags as it was rumored on this site about a month about production issues but I don't believe a company with the stature of Apple are clueless about their competition.

Many geeks clued that are clued in on the tech world know that Honeycomb is half-baked and overpriced for awhile now.
  • Reply 66 of 121
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

This is nonsense. Some companies need to do this to build hype (HP with its 5000 Windows 7 tablets), but when you have a sellout of over half a million devices (more than the rest of the industry has probably sold combined, over 2 years), then its really really unlikely to be artificial demand.

In fact, if you look at Apple's guidances with regards to the original iPad, they clearly stated that revenues would be constrained because of supply not meeting demand. If you look at all analyst reports from last year, they clearly agreed that Apple lost money waiting to be given out to them because the iPhone 4 and iPad supply could not match demand.

I find it hilarious that the same people who said that the iPad would not sell, and would flop, think Apple deliberately did not anticipate that it would be the biggest selling new type of product in history.

Tell him and make it clear to him. I didn't understand his reasoning either.
  • Reply 67 of 121
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

Probably because they're simplistic and cheaply made devices.
  • Reply 68 of 121
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDDave View Post

Am I the only one who believes this product shortage reflects badly on Tim Cook, the Apple COO?

Snip

yes you are.
  • Reply 69 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

Yep, and with only two stores, too! That's like 6 million per store or something....
  • Reply 70 of 121
    I received my apple online order today. I placed my order at 1:01am PT. if I knew demand was going to be like this I would have bought two!
  • Reply 71 of 121
    [

Could you tell me what model you ordered? I ordered a white 16GB wifi only at 2:12 am

from Santa Cruz, Ca. and my order still says "not yet shipped." Sure wish I was in your position.

Den

QUOTE=Paul94544;1829636]I completed my online order at 2am on Friday 11th

According to my tracking number with FedEx (an engraved white iPad)

Mar 15, 2011 2:40 PM Left FedEx origin facility SHENZHEN CN

Mar 14, 2011 11:32 PM Picked up SHENZHEN CN Package received after FedEx cutoff

Mar 14, 2011 10:11 AM Shipment information sent to FedEx

so it took the factory all weekend until 10 am in the morning to build? , engrave, prep, and package it, it missed the cutoff time at Fedex facility in Shenzhen on Monday (dammit) so left the next day Tuesday at 2:40pm

According to Fedex it should be delivered to me in San Ramon, Ca on Friday.

It is interesting that the cutoff time is 3 o'clock in afternoon in SHENZHEN China at the Fedex depot. It gets flown to LANTAU ISLAND HK then Anchorage, clears customs and then on towards the lower States, Oakland->Pleasanton. It took 3 days once in FedEx hands to get all the way for other parts of my order

all time are PST[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 72 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New shipments of the iPad 2 to some Apple stores around the country on Tuesday immediately sold out, raising questions for one analyst about how much inventory Apple will have available for next week's international launch.

Anyone who knows Apple knows there's inventory available to do the initial launch.

The bigger (and real) question is "Then what?"

With the major disaster still unfolding in Japan, along with backorder times in the US alone at 4-5 weeks, it makes a person wonder what things will be going forward.
  • Reply 73 of 121
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    mstone - you have class!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They would be useless to us since the software would have speciality behaviours and the hardware built with aluminium cases , colour screens and a home button in the centre .

• Reply 74 of 121
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You don't really believe this, do you? Maybe Apple paid all those people to line up to create an impression of huge demand? I think you need to put your tin foil hat away and go and try an iPad 2. The demand is driven by its awesomeness. Apple can sell as many as they can produce. The shortage is a byproduct of Apple's success with the iPad. I doubt if the shortage plays into Apple's hands here, though in some cases I am sure you are right. Its a risky strategy, however.

If everyone who wanted an iPad 2 had one today... the buzz would be over. No lineups, no curiosity, no clamor, no hype, no press releases or articles about lack of demand.

This move (if it was a move) will ensure that there will be a feverish race to get an iPad in other countries as well - ensuring that the iPad 2 is the most sought after gadget in the world.

You can't buy this type of marketing, just ask Microsoft.

I'm not saying it is so - but I wouldn't put this kind of strategic marketing past Apple.

As long as there is demand - there is free marketing.

Apple is lightly dusting the world with the new iPad - instead of satisfying demand market by market (which they did with the original iPhone).

I find it curious.
  • Reply 75 of 121
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    apple now has 6 strong; Streams of income

MBP/MBA

MINI'S AND THE CLASSIC

IPOD TOUCHES

IPHONES 3G 4 G

IPAD 1 AND 2

ITUNES STORES world wide

3 APP STORES

>>>>

coming soon

data farms

ATV

and maybe

nano phone ??

A smaller ipad ??

all you guys who bash apple fanbois>> can now bash us on one of 4 great devices

peace

• Reply 76 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by happyden View Post

[

Could you tell me what model you ordered? I ordered a white 16GB wifi only at 2:12 am

from Santa Cruz, Ca. and my order still says "not yet shipped." Sure wish I was in your position.

Den

QUOTE=Paul94544;1829636]I completed my online order at 2am on Friday 11th

According to my tracking number with FedEx (an engraved white iPad)

Mar 15, 2011 2:40 PM Left FedEx origin facility SHENZHEN CN

Mar 14, 2011 11:32 PM Picked up SHENZHEN CN Package received after FedEx cutoff

Mar 14, 2011 10:11 AM Shipment information sent to FedEx

so it took the factory all weekend until 10 am in the morning to build? , engrave, prep, and package it, it missed the cutoff time at Fedex facility in Shenzhen on Monday (dammit) so left the next day Tuesday at 2:40pm

According to Fedex it should be delivered to me in San Ramon, Ca on Friday.

It is interesting that the cutoff time is 3 o'clock in afternoon in SHENZHEN China at the Fedex depot. It gets flown to LANTAU ISLAND HK then Anchorage, clears customs and then on towards the lower States, Oakland->Pleasanton. It took 3 days once in FedEx hands to get all the way for other parts of my order

all time are PST

[/QUOTE]

I got mine delivered to San Mateo, CA. Ordered 64g black wifi only on Friday morning at 1:01am PT. Mine was delivered two days early!
  • Reply 77 of 121
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

If everyone who wanted an iPad 2 had one today... the buzz would be over. No lineups, no curiosity, no clamor, no hype, no press releases or articles about lack of demand.

This move (if it was a move) will ensure that there will be a feverish race to get an iPad in other countries as well - ensuring that the iPad 2 is the most sought after gadget in the world.

I'm not saying it is so - but I wouldn't put this kind of strategic marketing past Apple.

Apple is lightly dusting the world with the new iPad - instead of satisfying demand market by market (which they did with the original iPhone).

I find it curious.

the ipad2 sold a very large amount.maybe 1 mill

maybe 2 mill w/back orders.

the kindle sold under 200,000. in 4 months

and 8 weeks now to get one now .

i feel that apple's great products cause the whole media show

and the ipad1 was the fastest sell out in the history of the tech world

the truth is out there.

as fox mulled says

• Reply 78 of 121
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Artificial supply shortage to drive demand - lineups and mass impulse buying expedited.

How do you drive a market to covet your product - tell them it's in limited supply.

This tactic is routine in a lot of business. People want what they can't have.

Nowhere is this practiced more then in the tech industry.

Also a great way to determine and monitor market demand.

Could this be the case here? The timing of the international release is interesting. It's different from their iPhone strategy, but that may be because of carriers.

Funny this does not happen to any other device. Xoom is available anywhere it is sold and the same unit has been on the shelf since it was delivered. I went in twice to look at it and the serial number is the same. They have 25 in stock this week and that is the same number they told me two weeks ago.
  • Reply 79 of 121
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

An international launch helps Americans get their products quicker too because it removes the market for professional scalpers.

This is true. I think they stock pile some for the internal launch and some of those ipads have probably already been delivered or on there way. Too late to back out.

And you really need to be one hell of an Apple haters to think they are making out the shortage on purpose. Look at the numbers, look at the 4 to 5 weeks week shipping delays, its obvious they just cant keep up. In fact its in Apple best interest to flood the market with ipads before the competition starts selling there devices.
  • Reply 80 of 121
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

I find it curious.

This could be a good strategy for a few days, but not been able to keep up with demand is very bad after a few days has you then start to loose customers. Since the ipad now has a month+ wait time, its obvious they cant keep up.