Apple rethinks inventory management for iPad 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Has previously debated in court, it is illegal to refuse cash in a store.

I didn't know that. Maybe I should bring my huge collection of pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters to pay for my iPad when I finally go to get one, just to be a pain.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It doesn't have to be a credit card, a debit card works just as good. I don't buy stuff on credit, I use my debit cards.

Wait until the banks start capping the debit card purchase limits to either 50 or 100 bucks. This should go into affect by some banks in July.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    triggstriggs Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Yeah, I remember that news story. I still think that they should do it again. If somebody doesn't have a credit card in this day and age, then too bad for them. What's the point of even being on the internet if you don't have a credit card? Is that woman going to run to the news again because she wasn't able to order from Amazon with cash?

At the very least, they can have a credit card only policy for the first month or two.

Umm, you can pay with cash on Amazon. They partner with Coinstar, Western Union, Touch-n-Pay, and several others (http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=682500011). Oh, and of course you can just go to Target and buy an Amazon gift card with the money in your pocket, or link to your bank account.

I'm sure you have a point in your head somewhere, but the fact is you can survive online in a cash-only manner.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Debit card issuers typically do not have good extended warranty programs, nor do they have the same commitment to merchant/fraud dispute resolution.

Yes, that I agree with. Credit cards do offer better protection, in the case that something goes wrong.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Wait until the banks start capping the debit card purchase limits to either 50 or 100 bucks. This should go into affect by some banks in July.

Really? That sounds insane. I order stuff online all of the time with my debit card, and most of those purchases cost more than $100. If that new rule is true, then surely there has to be a way to get it increased.
  • Reply 26 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What are the silver balls?

?

5 chars
  • Reply 27 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by triggs View Post

I'm sure you have a point in your head somewhere, but the fact is you can survive online in a cash-only manner.

Maybe somebody can survive online with cash only, but it sounds extremely inconvenient. And don't those third party services cost extra money to use?

Only poor people and people who live in the ghetto use cash only, in my opinion.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

They're violating the TOA, by purchasing multiple times.

That so-called TOA is per order, I believe, not per person.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    Quote:

There was even some Russian guy who came back multiple times wearing a disguise.

I'm sorry, but that is funny
  • Reply 30 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

?

Images with story - look at them. It's like a game of Where's Waldo? (Where's Wally)
  • Reply 31 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

o suggest that the "largest tech company" is only starting to learn the basics of proper product processing only last year is utter nonsense and ridiculous. Even the smallet brick and mortar bookstores won't place their books on-shelf until properly recorded.

True, but to be fair Apple is operating at a different volume than any other company in the world right now.
  • Reply 32 of 91
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

...characterized to AppleInsider as a "little white lie" told to "avert the wrath of customers."

Oh great, now the trolls will add this to 'the iPod won't do video' thing to paint Apple as congenital liars.
  • Reply 33 of 91
    Quote:

That so-called TOA is per order, I believe, not per person.

Maybe, Apple doesn't seem to care too much about it apparently.

It seems like you are trying to defend people who are gaming the system.

Let's say I won the lotto and I'm filthy rich by the time the iPad3 comes out, I should hire 1000 people to stand in line for days and buy out the entire stock of a few Apple stores, and then go on to make a nice profit from that. That would be no different than what the current scalpers are doing, and I assume that you would be defending my actions then right?
  • Reply 34 of 91
    Just to help folks potentially find their new iPad2 I wanted to share my tale...

Last Friday evening I stood in line for a few hours at one of the Apple stores in San Antonio, Texas hoping to get a chance to purchase a new iPad2. Unfortunately the store sold out about 50 people in front of me! I mentioned to my wife that other retailers (e.g. Target, Best Buy and Walmart) also could have received shipments of the new tablet but I really wanted to purchase the device from the Apple store (for the experience). Actually, even though I stood in line for several hours the folks at the Apple store were wonderful and tried very hard to keep us informed of their inventory (and also they provided Cokes, Tea and water to help us survive the event!).

I had journeyed to San Antonio to purchase the device because the only place I could potentially purchase the iPad2 closer to home was from a Wal-mart (because of the small town that I actually live in). My wife suggested several times that I should call the Wal-mart to see if they had any of the devices available. I continued to reply that there was no way that our small town Wal-mart would have the device when the big city Apple store had run completely out!

I finally gave in and called them, the reply..."Oh sure we've got a bunch of those in all of the configurations and both colors!"... "Yeah, we got'm all yesterday"...

So, 15 minutes later I had driven to Wal-mart, purchased my iPad 2 (no line at all) and was walking out to the most dangerous place in my small town (the Wal-Mart parking lot) and headed home!

So the message to my story is: Try all of the stores in your town and even some of the ones in nearby small towns and who knows, you might find one!

Oh and yeah, she was right again!!!

• Reply 35 of 91
    Quote:

Maybe somebody can survive online with cash only, but it sounds extremely inconvenient. And don't those third party services cost extra money to use?

Only poor people and people who live in the ghetto use cash only, in my opinion.

Your opinion is wrong. I am not poor and do not live in the ghetto and I use cash. Many small business owners whose business is primarily cash based, use cash.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    How about being able to purchase via iTunes? It would be offered on a country by country basis to sync with the planned launch.

Also, prioritize sale according to how long a user has been in the iTunes ecosystem. To prevent possible privacy violation, it would only be based on months, not individual users. Older users get priority, but only if they act fast, otherwise, the next in queue gets a shot until inventory runs out.

This would be in addition to online and retail offerings.

The current system shafts the legitimate user base big time.
  • Reply 37 of 91
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

That got in PR trouble for 'requiring' credit cards before. They ended up giving the woman on the news story a free iPad. They probably won't go there again.

Thats interesting, when i got my ipad2 at the verizon store, I noticed they had a cash machine in there. But people were lining up to take cash out. Thought, thats kind of odd(I had never noticed), I guess its common.

BTW, off topic, but I hope I don't regret getting a verizon ipad2 - 1) they made me sign up for at least one months data use(can cancel at any time, but still). 2) - they will only keep your registation valid for 6 months without use. If you don't have a valid registration - you have to re-register all over again. Their contract terms are 'unclear' if they will charge a fee when doing so.

My intent was to only activiate on trips etc which is not very often, might have been a mistake.

Please excuse the rant.
  • Reply 38 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoodlesNoodlemann View Post

Your opinion is wrong. I am not poor and do not live in the ghetto and I use cash. Many small business owners whose business is primarily cash based, use cash.

I'm about to head out to my local deli soon and grab a few things. I'll be paying with cash.

I'm talking about people who don't have any credit cards or debit cards, people who don't even have a bank account and who have to pay every single purchase with cash.

I'm sure you have a credit card/debit card and bank account right? In that case, I wasn't referring to you.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoodlesNoodlemann View Post

Agreed. Given their druthers, Apple would undoubtedly prefer to receive cash payments, as the transaction costs are much lower. Don't forget that roughly between 2% and 3% of the CC sale goes to the processor. There's also the relatively small risk of credit card fraud as well. If someone buys an iPad on a stolen card, there's little Apple can do to prevent the loss if they didn't catch it at the point of sale.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:

Let's say I won the lotto and I'm filthy rich by the time the iPad3 comes out, I should hire 1000 people to stand in line for days and buy out the entire stock of a few Apple stores, and then go on to make a nice profit from that. That would be no different than what the current scalpers are doing, and I assume that you would be defending my actions then right?

Would you even care about scalping if you and everyone else could get one today or tomorrow?...