Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Who said it escaped us?

He did.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Who said it escaped us?

If you need to have Engadget tell you that the Smart Cover doesn't "protect" the back from scratching it up, then you are probably not smart enough to ever have $500 at given time.

Seriously, you trolls wishing AI would write down to a stupider demographic: really?
  • Reply 43 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Dude, why do you even bother with technology at all, you are obviously happier when you don't use it.

I'm a book collector and have at various times worked in publishing and retail, I have a collection of tens of thousands of books but ...

... the second I got an iPad I wished I could digitise the lot of them. Reading books on a device as opposed to the old paper copies is far easier and you can carry a lot more of them around with you. I got three books for Christmas this year and before Boxing Day was over I was looking for them online so I could download them and read them more comfortably on the iPad.

Sometimes newer is just better. I don't think anyone is really going to miss the paper-based book once they get used to the alternative.

I'm already thinking of building a book scanner in the basement so that I can preserve my huge collection of books for the future because most of them are going to turn to dust shortly after I pass away and no one is going to read them if they aren't digitised at some point.

I agree, only I took it even further, I listen to books ... on my iPod or iPhone. Reading on anything is such a pain on the beach in Florida ... bright light, sun glasses, oil and all not to mention not being able to lie in any position for maximum tanning!
  • Reply 44 of 78
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    The worst place for the iPad to take impact is its screen. No cover is going to do much about that while the machine is in use. A two or three foot drop onto carpet wouldn't alarm me too much; tile or concrete would though. Closed, the Smart Cover should provide just enough padding to keep the screen safe from a short fall; the iPad 2's rounded edges will probably distribute blows to the corner more evenly than it would with the original iPad's. Wait until the other tablet buyers drop their plastic contraptions on to ground and watch the entire unit shatter.

Wall to wall tile makes me slightly afraid of potential accidents. At any rate I won't have any idea until my friend brings it from the US in a couple weeks Arrived yesterday at his place by the way, and I ordered before 4 AM EST last Friday.
  • Reply 45 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

If you need to have Engadget tell you that the Smart Cover doesn't "protect" the back from scratching it up, then you are probably not smart enough to ever have $500 at given time.

Seriously, you trolls wishing AI would write down to a stupider demographic: really?

Welcome to the forums.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Sometimes newer is just better. I don't think anyone is really going to miss the paper-based book once they get used to the alternative.

The alternative is damaged eye-sight.
  • Reply 47 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's why 5 of the 6 iPad 2 models are less expensive than the Motorola Xoom which is its nearest competitor.

The Zoom is $599. But that's on a contract.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    Quote:

The Zoom is $599. But that's on a contract.

WiFi only model no contract is released on the 27th.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Sure, E-ink and LCD give you different looks.

Different looks? You just don't get it. The iPad hurts your eyes after a while, just like any 'computer'. The Kindle does not. The Kindle is the next best thing to paper for "reading" on. And paper is king when it comes to reading very long form. The iPad is best product ever, but the Kindle is better for reading books. It's like the way a knife has far more uses than a spoon, and if I had to choose one of the two I'd choose a knife. But if you are trying to eat soup a spoon wins hands down.

In my ideal world, in addition to the amazing iPad, Apple would make the world's first mass-produced dedicated touchscreen E-Ink book reader. They would resurrect the product name iBook. You'd download books to your account from anywhere or any product that has iTunes/iBookstore (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch/Mac/iBook, etc.) and those books would appear in your iBook Library for reading. It would be a 7 or 8" edge-to-edge E-Ink screen with very little "or no" chrome round the edge of the product. It would basically look like you are holding a page of a book in your hand, but that "page" would be your whole library of books. Books - as in, novels. It would be a dream product. And you just know Apple would have some nice simple software on there that gets the job done.

Amazon can't make software or hardware to save their lives, but the actual display technology used on the Kindle is absolutely perfect for reading books on. The iPad is not even close. The iPad's UI is WAAAAYYYY better, but I'm not talking about UI. I'm talking about the actual screen. You know, that light shining directly in your face. Not to mention the Kindle 3 Wifi weighs 241 grams. Almost 1/3 the weight of an iPad. The iPad is the best thing to happen computing in the history of the computer, but it's not, by any means, anywhere near the perfect book reader. I believe there is a market for "the perfect book reader". Even the Kindle isn't it. Who'll eventually make that perfect book reader is anyone's guess. Perhaps it will be the Kindle 5. Three versions in and Amazon can't even make decent page buttons. They are retards.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

WiFi only model no contract is released on the 27th.

Oh. That's better than $799. I believe that's the 32GB version also.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    Quote:

Are you reading my comments again?

Pure coincidence, mon. I did go back several post up just now and saw your post about the shield.

Which other post of yours that I may have inadvertently read?
  • Reply 52 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Pure coincidence, mon. I did go back several post up just now and saw your post about the shield.

Chillax.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:

It's like the way a knife has far more uses than a spoon, and if I had to choose one of the two I'd choose a knife. But if you are trying to eat soup a spoon wins hands down.

Nice illustration
  • Reply 54 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Got mine this morning, even though it was supposed to (according to the FedEx web page) arrive Friday.

Oh. My. God. I love it. I spent most of the day downloading apps and playing with it, and it STILL has something like 37% battery. It's amazing. The apps are great. I've been rockin' out on Garage Band ... how fun!

I've never bought anything so much fun in my life.

battery life is CRAZY like that girl in the tree in that ANDROID ad ...

it s the white 64GB wifi only model ... now to trade up my black iphone 4 for a white one whenever the HELL that comes out... or heck i'll just buy the white Mophie iphone battery cover case..

PROGRESS = BANKRUPTCY = I am BROKER than AL ROKER
  • Reply 55 of 78
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Thanks! I decided, when iPad1 came out, that I would wait until version 2. And I am totally happy with this purchase. And I can't believe how cool reading is on it. There are TONS of free books. It's a blast.

Welcome to 2010 Seriously though, iPad 2 is the way to fly if you haven't tried an iPad before... Enjoy!
  • Reply 56 of 78
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Face down, as up...

Nice reference there to 2 Live Crew
  • Reply 57 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Sounds pretty good on paper. But will anyone want to buy it?

There's a lot of people who want to buy it, hundreds even give or take.. Including me, and four people close to me.
  • Reply 58 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

This article read like an advertisement. Like Steve wrote it himself.

Anyway....

"While the new Smart Covers don't "protect" the back, that's partly a feature"

WTF? Try to drop your iPad on the floor accidentely and see how good the 'feature' works!

Then don't drop it.. Oh wait, you said "accidentally", okay fair enough.. If you did, then that's one good reason to buy a new/newer one.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I don't understand the obsession with protecting the iPad/iPhone. IF you are afraid of dropping the thing, or if, like me you have young kids with zero respect for xaddy's treasured toys, then yes, perhaps. But the thing looks beautiful. It is ridiculously thin. So why would you want to cover it up and make it all fat and bloated. If it gets scratched it will still be beautiful. If it is all nice an shiny but covered up, then what's the point? For me the ip4 is a thing of beauty. With the bumper it is fugly. With a cover it is bulky. I prefer to live with the scratches.

Thank you, spot on. Hopefully 'dacloo' reads your post.

IMHO whenever we put on covers or protectors on our gadget, we missed the very reason why it's made that way. Not just for this iPad 2 alone, or any Apple products, but also for every gadgets and gizmos made by others as well.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I love the original case and plan on modifying it for the iPad 2. I hate the new cover.

Paper punch a hole for the rear camera, X-axto knife a rectangular hole for the new speaker and a small hole on top middle for the new mic. Good to go.