Shortages of Apple's iPad and iPhone to bleed into June quarter following Japan tsunami

Comments

• Reply 41 of 114
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kravemas View Post

Which NYC store will prob give me the best chance of getting an Ipad tomorrow (friday)? Im closer to the one on 5th (cube) followed by the one on 68th (Lincoln Center) Also, what time should I get out there? 4am , 5am?

Any info will be much appreciated!

Get out a tent and spend the night. That's the only way you are getting an Ipad if the scalpers have anything to say about it.
  • Reply 42 of 114
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If he wasn?t being racist when the repeated ?Asain scalpers? and assumption that he knew that all the Asians were scalpers. Why not just scalpers, why are Asians so vilified in his post to the extent that he made a silly comment about buying up all the chopsticks so he stick it to all Asians because of some that stood in line on a cold morning waiting for an iPad? You really think his comment wasn?t arrogantly narrow-minded? I don?t see how anyone could read it any other way.

I think you are digging to deep and not the first time. I see a lot of frustration in that post, but not racism.

I can simple be frustrated or even hate someone or something without beeing a racist. If i hate black dude living near me doesn't mean i hate all black dudes (as in colour), i hate that specific person or group of persons (as in scalpers).

P.S. Just an example.
  • Reply 43 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

This kind of midset dooms people in the West. The Bubble living westerners, who go in a panic when a winter storm is coming, will be utterly clueless when a earthquake or serious disaster happens.... Look at Katrina , rich america can't even help their citizens because they viewed those people as "not my problem" individuals... not to mention the undercover racism towards that area... let that be a affluent rich area and I bet the response would have been different.

So now you are lumping all westerners together. How about the bubble the people of Japan have been living in for so long with their projected 2.5x their GDP debt load? That was before the current crisis.
  • Reply 44 of 114
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

This kind of midset dooms people in the West. The Bubble living westerners, who go in a panic when a winter storm is coming, will be utterly clueless when a earthquake or serious disaster happens.... Look at Katrina , rich america can't even help their citizens because they viewed those people as "not my problem" individuals... not to mention the undercover racism towards that area... let that be a affluent rich area and I bet the response would have been different.

Every word you posted here is pure crap.
  • Reply 45 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I visited the Lincoln Center store first today, as I assumed that would give me the best chance, but they had nothing today, zero iPads. And even that store has now become infested with scalpers. I got there at 6 am today and I wasn't even close to getting one, if they had had any in stock. So you'll probably have to get there a lot earlier than that. Remember, you're competing against hundreds of people who are all part of a gang. They can just make a phone call and Boom! 50 people show up.

The one on Fifth Ave is insane, and don't be surprised if thousands are waiting there with the majority also being sleazy scalpers.

The best you can do is just to choose one, arrive real early, and hope to get lucky.

Hmmmm... you think you've got it bad... just wait until they go on sale in Canada... we'll have the Canadian scalpers, the US scalpers and people from the US trying their hardest to get an Ipad2... the rest of the Canadians will be left out in the cold... eh!

(ps - if you're coming up make sure you bring your toque.)
  • Reply 46 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

I think you are digging to deep and not the first time. I see a lot of frustration in that post, but not racism.

I can simple be frustrated or even hate someone or something without beeing a racist. If i hate black dude living near me doesn't mean i hate all black dudes (as in colour), i hate that specific person or group of persons (as in scalpers).

P.S. Just an example.

Yes he/she is. There is no racism in describing people. I can't be descriptive because I might offend someone.
  • Reply 47 of 114
    Quote:

If he wasn?t being racist when the repeated ?Asain scalpers? and assumption that he knew that all the Asians were scalpers. Why not just scalpers, why are Asians so vilified in his post to the extent that he made a silly comment about buying up all the chopsticks so he stick it to all Asians because of some that stood in line on a cold morning waiting for an iPad? You really think his comment wasn?t arrogantly narrow-minded? I don?t see how anyone could read it any other way.

It was more a case of generalisation than racism.
  • Reply 48 of 114
    Quote:

How does that make sense? Apple wants to get as many iPads into consumers hands as possible. That?s how they make money! They don?t want consumers to get discouraged or annoyed or trampled. That?s not how they make money! The mall is clearly at fault for issuing a stupid rule that not only defeats the first-come-first-serve for people willing to arrive early to wait in line, but also makes the situation harmful and a potential lawsuit if people can?t wait quietly in queue but have to race from their cars and risk being trampled, as you stated. I?m not sure how Apple could be at fault for that poor decision.

Perhaps you mis-understood the last point in my writings (i is an enjuneer - so i dont rite gud) my last point was why doesn't apple fulfill much earlier placed orders (on line) before shipping to the stores? they still sell the same amount surely, one way is more reasonable in terms if civility and fairness...
  • Reply 49 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hmmmm... you think you've got it bad... just wait until they go on sale in Canada... we'll have the Canadian scalpers, the US scalpers and people from the US trying their hardest to get an Ipad2... the rest of the Canadians will be left out in the cold... eh!

(ps - if you're coming up make sure you bring your toque.)

That would only hold if people in the US were still unable to get ahold of the Ipad while people in Canada were able to get ahold of the Ipad. Try again.
  • Reply 50 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

That would only hold if people in the US were still unable to get ahold of the Ipad while people in Canada were able to get ahold of the Ipad. Try again.

So you're saying that there is a lot of supply in the US? ... or maybe you are saying that they won't sell any in Canada? or ???

It sounds to me from everything that is written here that supply is quite constrained in the US.

So... you try again.
  • Reply 51 of 114
    Quote:

So you're saying that there is a lot of supply in the US? ... or maybe you are saying that they won't sell any in Canada? or ???

It sounds to me from everything that is written here that supply is quite constrained in the US.

So... you try again.

It is until the Ipad is released in other countries. Once it's released in other countries it's much harder to scalp because people in those other countries how have access via their own stores. Don't expect a drove of US citizens in Canada to buy out supply of Ipads when they can wait inline at the store here in the US overnight and do the same thing.

The other thing one should keep in mind is that the more scalping that goes on in the US which inflates the demand in the US, the more likely for other countries to see their launch delayed....just like the last time. Scalping only hurts the consumer and Apple's brand image. This is why Apple should limit purchases to one per customer and they should put undercover cops inline to root out the scalpers or at least make it more uncomfortable for them. The vast majority in the US will just wait until they can get one or simply will re-adjust what they want (the latter being the worst case scenario for Apple).
  • Reply 52 of 114
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quick assessment:

If you had your heart set on getting an iPad 2 now then your pretty much screwed.
  • Reply 53 of 114
    Quote:

It is until the Ipad is released in other countries. Once it's released in other countries it's much harder to scalp.

Well... then the scalpers would sell them to people in the States!
  • Reply 54 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

P.S. Just an example.

He made a comment about buy up all the chopsticks in order to get back at them. How is that no racists? How does being frustrated ? which he clearly is and which is understandable ? give you a free pass at being bigoted?

Using your example, what I concluded my comment by saying that I was going to buy up all the fried chicken and watermelon? How could anyone not take that as a racially derived comment?

Here?s the difference, his attack wasn?t targeted at the scalpers, but at Asians, hence it?s a racist comment.
  • Reply 55 of 114
    mrpogemrpoge Posts: 9member
    Quote:

This kind of midset dooms people in the West.

Actually, I think the inability to recognize sarcasm will doom the West.
  • Reply 56 of 114
    Quote:

Well... then the scalpers would sell them to people in the States!

No they won't. If I was a scalper why would I go to Canada to wait inline for an Ipad when I can do that right here in the US? It doesn't make any sense. You assume that Apple Stores won't get any more Ipads ever. Apple has shipments of Ipads coming in every day.
  • Reply 57 of 114
    mobilememobileme Posts: 288member
    Quote:

So now you are lumping all westerners together. How about the bubble the people of Japan have been living in for so long with their projected 2.5x their GDP debt load? That was before the current crisis.

No not all westerns but the majority. Am I wrong in seeing this in the western society?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Every word you posted here is pure crap.

Care to explain why??? oh yea thats right cause you can't, just admit, that countries like america england and others care only about themselves at the end of the day.

9-11 was an example of this, the american country was, in unity, but a few years later, now 9-11 is being saluted by a mosque. A pure slap in the face to the people who lost families at 9-11.
  • Reply 58 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Perhaps you mis-understood the last point in my writings (i is an enjuneer - so i dont rite gud) my last point was why doesn't apple fulfill much earlier placed orders (on line) before shipping to the stores? they still sell the same amount surely, one way is more reasonable in terms if civility and fairness...

Apple should only ship iPads to stores once all iPad orders made online prior to the date a store would receive supply has been shipped? That certainly sounds fair if we assume that the online sales to individuals and the retail outlets are equal in the way Apple divvies up the supply, but from a business standpoint I don?t think it makes much sense.

I know several people that ordered online last Friday morning and then waited inline for an iPad 2. If they got an iPad that day they were either going to cancel that sale or sell to a friend when it arrived.

There isn?t much you can do when there is such a huge demand. You could pay someone to wait inline for you. Pay them $10/hour to sit in line from 1am(?) until you decide to get there, say 6am. That would cost you $50 but save you 5 hours in line. I pay my capuchin helper monkey (I mean assistant) $20/hour just to do all the time consuming crap for school so I can focus only on the actual studying and have more time to goof off on AI.
  • Reply 59 of 114
    Quote:

Apple should only ship iPads to stores once all iPad orders made online prior to the date a store would receive supply has been shipped? That certainly sounds fair if we assume that the online sales to individuals and the retail outlets are equal in the way Apple divvies up the supply, but from a business standpoint I don’t think it makes much sense.

I know several people that ordered online last Friday morning and then waited inline for an iPad 2. If they got an iPad that day they were either going to cancel that sale or sell to a friend when it arrived.

There isn’t much you can do when there is such a huge demand. You could pay someone to wait inline for you. Pay them $10/hour to sit in line from 1am(?) until you decide to get there, say 6am. That would cost you $50 but save you 5 hours in line. I pay my capuchin helper monkey (I mean assistant) $20/hour just to do all the time consuming crap for school so I can focus only on the actual studying and have more time to goof off on AI.

I think the best solution is to sell the Ipad internationally on the first day. That will give scalpers more options while making it harder to scalp.
  • Reply 60 of 114
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Here’s the difference, his attack wasn’t targeted at the scalpers, but at Asians, hence it’s a racist comment.

98.43% of the scalpers are Asians. Go see for yourself. Start at the beginning of the line and then work your way to the end. All you see are Asians practically. And by Asians I mean Chinese people specifically.

The Chinese guy (who was not a scalper but a Mac fan) who was standing next to me in line said that he chose that specific store because it was farthest away from Chinatown. We had a good laugh when I told him that I had also chosen that store for that exact same reason.