Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: New WiFi Diagnostics tool

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
    I know some that like is because it’s like iOS movement, but I don’t care for it. It’s the first thing I had to change. I see the mouse pointer as the object I’m moving down when moving my fingers down to scroll a page. I’m just glad Apple offered a choice here.

Ah! Thanks. I am getting used to it now ... I think

p.s. I missed it as I was using an older mouse with a scroll ball at the time as my magic mouse's battery was dead and hence looked in mouse options! Obviously the track pad settings alter the mouses balls too, if you see what I mean.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

You are either talking about "Little Snitch" or "Wireshark". Between those two, your requirements should be well met. Both work wonderfully on your Mac.

Little Snitch monitors data goming in and out of one computer. I wanted to be able to look at the data passing by on the network but not necessarily entering or exiting the iMac. Wireshark looks promising. I'll look into that. Thanks.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How about they make it so it stops forgetting the wifi password like EVERY FRIGGIN DAY. Same thing with Mail. Anyone else have this issue? This new Wifi stuff sounds cool though.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

How about they make it so it stops forgetting the wifi password like EVERY FRIGGIN DAY. Same thing with Mail. Anyone else have this issue? This new Wifi stuff sounds cool though.

No. I do not have this issue.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    what bugs me is why no mac (afaik) or iphone or ipad can join airport extreme networks using airport utility's (quasi) Wifi Protected Setup "add wireless clients" feature.

ive tried other wifi protected setup devices but they won't negotiate a connection, but

one of them a trend net tew-664 usb stick will successfully negotiate and connect to a

airport extreme based on a pin number. it also works on "first attempt" apple's lingo for push button WPS but i've never been able to connect that way

I've emailed steve a couple times why include such a great feature in airport extremes but have no way to utilize it in any apple device ever manufactured but he never replied to me

it sounds to me that it would be easier to use that half-WPS feature then having to type 12 or 20 or more digit password on a cramped iphone keyboard or emailing/texting the password and pasting it.

this feature does not change the existing airport in any way, such as changing the existing password, it just does a key exchange with a supported device and sends it the passphrase securely to it that it needs

to connect to it. full-WPS differs in that the entire setup can be changed, apple's version only sends the keys

oh i almost forgot before someone replies and says the key exchange isn't secure please keep in mind that wpa and wpa2 changes keys every 60 minutes by default and informs all paired wireless devices

what the new key is. this is the "wpa group key timeout" timer in airport utility in wireless options
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

A way to capture real-world wi-fi situations, this can only help to make OS X and iOS better.

--- On an unrelated note ---

I can't quite get used to the reversed tab interface control. It seems more gimmicky than improvement. But I'm not yet using 10.7, so maybe somebody who is can chime in on this. It almost seems like they want to provide a "physical" movable control for touch interfaces, rather than a series of AM radio-like push buttons.

It makes sense if Apple is planning on bringing touch screen options to some of their Macs.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    drkingdrking Posts: 1member
    How to set a password to secure a previously unsecured network? There doesn't seem to be a way to do this now or to edit?

Thank you,

Drking
  • Reply 28 of 33
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drking View Post

How to set a password to secure a previously unsecured network? There doesn't seem to be a way to do this now or to edit?

Thank you,

Drking

That was never a feature of the operating system. If you have an Apple router, use the Airport Utility. If you have another brand of router, you'll probably need to access the router's admin panel. This hasn't changed with Lion.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    On the Golden Master of Lion Option-Clicking on the WiFi menu bar icon doesn't open up the WiFi Diagnostics tool.

Gotta do it manually at:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Wi-Fi Diagnostics
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

On the Golden Master of Lion Option-Clicking on the WiFi menu bar icon doesn't open up the WiFi Diagnostics tool.

Gotta do it manually at:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Wi-Fi Diagnostics

I've loaded Lion and Option Click on the WiFi icon doesn't have the menu option.

I was able to run the app manually from a command line. Any ideas on what is needed to activate the option?
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PapaMordecai View Post

I've loaded Lion and Option Click on the WiFi icon doesn't have the menu option.

I was able to run the app manually from a command line. Any ideas on what is needed to activate the option?

If it's not there, there isn't one, and it can't be added. Not even Option-Clicking brings anything new up.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    It's not available from the menu (option-clicking or not). It was in the Lion beta, apparently, but not the shipping version. You have to run it manually.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I had the same problem with OS 10.7.2. My Macbook Air could remember wireless password. This is how I resolved the issue.

Open Network Preference

Click the Advanced button to bring up Add a wi-fi network profile screen.

I had an entry in Preferred Network. My entry was

Network name Linksys security WEP Enterprise

I click on Linksys, click on the '-' button to delete it.

Click on '+' button to add a new network

In the network name field, type your wireless network name

In Security drop down box, I pick WEP.

Enter your wireless password.

click ok, apply

Do not click 'Choose a network' button, it do not remember wireless password if you add a network thru 'Choose a network' button.