Apple rumored to enter new collaboration with Canon

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dlux View Post

(there again, apple put the ceo of intuit on their board of directors, and that hasn't prevented quicken from still sucking on the mac relative its windows version.)

QfT!!
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

I find APS-H to be really nice with telephoto photographers, esp. those who use the 70-200 zoom lenses. Gets you a little extra reach. Lots of people are willing to get 1.4x extenders that reduce f/stops and affect autofocus performance, and Canon basically gives people the effect for free.

In that case, why not APS-C at 1.6x? Maybe the 7D (FWIW, I recently sold mine).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

Canon's camera and lens lineup's better for pro telephoto photography than Nikon. Everything else is generally better with Nikon, though.

At this point, I'd take a mythical hybrid of Nikon backs and Canons range of glass.

Though the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G is simply a thing of beauty...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Well, in fairness, let's look at the actual full-frame models:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 21.1 MP, 5 fps

It appears there are trade-offs with both brands, and I think they balance out in the end. Basically comes down to where you've invested your gear. And if you're new to the DSLR world, and trying to decide, you can ask some trusted friends/colleagues—where you'll likely get equally strong arguments from either side, or you can just flip a coin. Either way, you're getting a solid, robust outfit.

Thanks for reminding me. The AF on the 5DMk2 is a complete embarrassment on an otherwise fine FF dSLR. They neutered what could have been a great all purpose camera into a great landscape camera.

Quote:

2) In the sub-DSLR category, Canon's PowerShot G-series cameras far outshine anything Nikon has.

No doubt that Nikon's Coolpix should be equally an embarrassment to the company that also created such wonders as the D3S, 85mm f/1.4G, 14-24mm f/2.8G, and 200-400mm f/4G.

FWIW, my pocket-able/underwater-housing camera is an S95.

Quote:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think historically, Canon has been more Mac-friendly than Nikon has. I'm basing this on my experience with Nikon many years ago—I seem to recall that Nikon had some features/capabilities that were only accessible via Windows.

The scuttlebutt says Nikon will be the first to deploy the Thunderbolt port on their dSLRs...
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

IAt this point, I'd take a mythical hybrid of Nikon backs and Canons range of glass.

Hmmmm. Intriguing.

Quote:

Thanks for reminding me. The AF on the 5DMk2 is a complete embarrassment on an otherwise fine FF dSLR. They neutered what could have been a great all purpose camera into a great landscape camera.

For some reason, the 5D has not really captured my interest. I guess for now, don't really need 21.1 MP. I've got my eye on the 7D. Now, I just need some extra money...

Quote:

No doubt that Nikon's Coolpix should be equally an embarrassment to the company that also created such wonders as the D3S, 85mm f/1.4G, 14-24mm f/2.8G, and 200-400mm f/4G.

Yeah. I never quite understood why Nikon never made a pro/semi-pro level sub-DSLR. All of Nikon's offerings look and feel like cheap consumer kitsch. I had a Nikon Coolpix 950 many years ago, and it was a pretty sweet little machine. It was quick, had a bright, fast lens, good flash, and the swanky swiveling body. I thought they were gonna further develop that and make it better, but they abandoned it.

Quote:

FWIW, my pocket-able/underwater-housing camera is an S95.

I now have a Canon PowerShot G10, which replaced my G6 after the tilt/swivel screen broke. I'm also looking at the G12. Apart from being agonizingly slow, the G10 is pretty nice, but a sports/candid shooter, it ain't.

Quote:

The scuttlebutt says Nikon will be the first to deploy the Thunderbolt port on their dSLRs...

If I recall, the Thunderbolt chip is quite large, so I guess Intel will have to squish it down to make it fit inside the new DSLR bodies?
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Quote:

If I recall, the Thunderbolt chip is quite large, so I guess Intel will have to squish it down to make it fit inside the new DSLR bodies?

I had heard that too, but it doesn't look all that large in the iFixit teardown of the new 15" MBP:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...7&postcount=62
  • Reply 46 of 48
    Quote:

This is great news, and not just for Canon users.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    I would love to see Apple get back into the peripheral market again with a line of iOS devices made in collaboration with market leaders.

Canon: point and shoot camera

Nikon: digital SLR

Sony: camcorders and TVs

HP: laser printers and MFPs

Epson: inkjet printer, scanner and projectors

GE: washer, dryer, oven, fridge dishwasher

iOS + consumer electronics = awesome ecosystem
  • Reply 48 of 48
    hunabkuhunabku Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backdoc View Post

I'll be glad when Apple can work/play AVCHD natively. My Windows box at work plays .mts files fine. I recently bought a Panasonic camera that records AVCHD. I just hope that it will be supported by whatever alliance Apple may be working out with Canon.

It is unlikely that Canon would work with Apple on AVCHD as Canon is not one of the owners of AVCHD in fact Canon has to pay Panasonic licensing fees just to have it on their cameras. Rumor has it that Canon may nix AVCHD for an MPEG variety that apple supports with its editing software.