Apple's WiFi iPad 2 said to record better sound than 3G models

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Although Apple's new WiFi and 3G iPads are expected to perform identically outside their wireless internet capabilities, one evaluation has determined that the WiFi models achieve superior sonic qualities in their audio capture capabilities.

In a brief report, iLounge speculates that the discrepancy may stem from Apple's decision to relocate the tablets' built-in microphone port from its original position besides the headphone jack on the first-generation iPad to the top-center of the device, above the FaceTime camera in the new models.

As such, the microphone on the WiFi models rests within the device's aluminum housing while the microphone port on the 3G models finds itself embedded in the plastic antenna strip positioned in the same place on the GSM and CDMA to reduce interference in 3G communications.

"Perhaps due to this change in materials, the Wi-Fi model offers markedly cleaner audio than that of the 3G, which sounds slightly muffled and echo-prone as a result," the report states. "Curiously, we found the GSM 3G model?s audio to be slightly preferable to that of the CDMA model, which seemed to suffer the issues more severely."

The issue is said to be most noticeable when the user is holding the iPad 2 in its traditional orientation, with the screen and FaceTime camera facing the user. AppleInsider recently published its First Look at the new iPad 2 ahead of its formal, in-depth review due in the coming days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Hmmm...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Perhaps due to this change in materials, the Wi-Fi model offers markedly cleaner audio than that of the 3G, which sounds slightly muffled and echo-prone as a result," the report states. "Curiously, we found the GSM 3G model?s audio to be slightly preferable to that of the CDMA model, which seemed to suffer the issues more severely."

I'm not sure I buy this. I just did a test recording using Fire on my Verizon 3D iPad 2 and the sound was crystal clear, even from the person speaking across the room from me.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Hmmm...

I Hmmmm.. too. This would mean, when I buy the 3G model I will have to drop all this high quality audio recording projects ?!?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I Hmmmm.. too. This would mean, when I buy the 3G model I will have to drop all this high quality audio recording projects ?!?

You're kidding right?

Just get something like this, which works with the iPad.

• Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

In a brief report, iLounge speculates that the discrepancy may stem from Apple decision to relocate the tablets' built-in microphone port from its original position besides the headphone jack on the first-generation iPad to the top-center of the device, above the FaceTime camera in the new models.

Is it still a speculation? I do hope iLounge tested this issue with more than just three iPad 2s (which they own for their review).
  • Reply 6 of 12
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I actually wish they'd move both the camera and microphone to one of the corners. If you are holding your iPad in two hands in landscape orientation, you could easily end up covering the microphone and camera with your hand.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You're kidding right?

I agree. Anyone in need of a quality recording should use the dock port. The quality of I/O is much more reliable. Using an 1/8" connection is asking for problems at the start.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I actually wish they'd move both the camera and microphone to one of the corners. If you are holding your iPad in two hands in landscape orientation, you could easily end up covering the microphone and camera with your hand.

Don't hold it like that...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Anyone else notice that, according to tech specs, the iPad 2 does 5 Ghz 802.11n too!!! Finally. Maybe iPhone 5 will too, since iPhone 4 cannot. Is 5Ghz 802.11n on the original iPad too?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
  • Reply 10 of 12
    _hawkeye__hawkeye_ Posts: 139member
    Quote:

AppleInsider recently published its ahead of its formal, in-depth review due in the coming days

WTF does that sentence mean? You guys seriously need an editor!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You're kidding right?

Sure I am. I will get my self an iPad 2 3G as soon as it is available in our country. Sadly this may be delayed out of tragic and other reasons. But I don't think I will buy Mike. Mike is my Boss, and somehowe it might just feel a little awkward, if you know what I mean.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    abarryabarry Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Is 5Ghz 802.11n on the original iPad too?

yes, it does.