First Look: Apple's iPad 2

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I love the original case and plan on modifying it for the iPad 2. I hate the new cover.

Paper punch a hole for the rear camera, X-axto knife a rectangular hole for the new speaker and a small hole on top middle for the new mic. Good to go.

Way to go..!
  • Reply 62 of 78
    jondjond Posts: 7member
    Has anyone noticed if the smart covers interfere with the compass? I have a Mareware case for my ipad1 and the magnets interfere with compass. Not a big deal, I only noticed it one day when I was using maps with the orientation feature.

I was also wondering if long term exposure to a magnetic field could 'decalibrate' the compass.
  • Reply 63 of 78
    [QUOTE=Ireland;1830435]

"In my ideal world, in addition to the amazing iPad, Apple would make the world's first mass-produced dedicated touchscreen E-Ink book reader. They would resurrect the product name iBook. You'd download books to your account from anywhere or any product that has iTunes/iBookstore (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch/Mac/iBook, etc.) and those books would appear in your iBook Library for reading.

It would be a 7 or 8" edge-to-edge E-Ink screen with very little "or no" chrome round the edge of the product. It would basically look like you are holding a page of a book in your hand, but that "page" would be your whole library of books. Books - as in, novels. It would be a dream product. And you just know Apple would have some nice simple software on there that gets the job done."

I agree with your "ideal." Not for myself, but for my wife. I love Apple products and look forward to having an iPad2 later this year. My wife on the other hand doesn't even want a computer - she gave away her iMac after a few months of gathering dust.

But she loves to read -several books a week. The "i-Book" you describe would be a constant companion.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    donaldonal Posts: 10member
    Today is iPaddy's day so it may be appropriate to remind people of St iPaddy's Breastplate

iPad be with me, iPad within me,

iPad behind me, iPad before me,

iPad beside me, iPad to win me,

iPad to comfort and restore me.

iPad beneath me, iPad above me,

iPad in quiet, iPad in danger,

iPad in hearts of all that love me,

IPad in hands of friend and stranger.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Dude, why do you even bother with technology at all, you are obviously happier when you don't use it.

Having been involved in the biosciences and technology, I can envision the use of such technologies like the iPad, beyond what is being considered now.

And, I do look forward to being able to digitize the books I wanted to carry with me. I am working on digitizing a 55-volume book series that would be useful for people in my country. The series was a limited edition when it was published between 1903-1909, and there's no copy back home.

Having stated that, I do agree with Ireland, in a way. Before iBooks became a reality, I marveled at how the British Library digitized one very old Bible, and it flips as if you were actually dealing with the Bible. But, the key term there is "as if". I wish I could touch the originals, but they were safely encased on their display shelves in the permanent collection of the British Library.

I have an online version of the "Letters to a Young Poet". but I would never part with the cheap copy I bought from a bookstore in Boston, after someone gave me two books of Rilke. I bought "Letters to a Young Poet" on my birthday while on my way to the Museum of Fine Arts, and I became even more hooked with Rilke. It has been with me all over the world since it is very handy. I end up using as bookmark anything that was handy during these travels, as I do with whatever book I am reading. So, when I open some pages, and discover some long forgotten "bookmark", it triggers memories more vivid as if it was just moment ago.

I love books but do not have the money to indulge on rare book collections or the paintings and music that I would have wanted. So, I content myself with buying used books. It was a flea market day during one of my visits in Cambridge, I bought more than a dozen used books that caught my fancy; especially illustrated books. And sometimes you find treasures in them, that gave insight to the previous owner. One was an attempt to write a verse, tucked in a used Oxford Book of English Verse, with a short note requesting perhaps a fellow student his thoughts on his verse. The book edition was in the early 20th century. Did the previous owner become a poet or perhaps one of those English professors? Or, did he have aspirations to be a poet, just like the recipient of the "Letters to a Young Poet" but never really have it in himself to be one? Or, was he one of the young English guys, like Rupert Brooke, who died during the "Great War"; thus, never realized their potential?

I do not mind buying books with all those scribbles that some bookowners tend to do. It would be shunned by professional book collectors but it gives you insights of the thoughts, leanings and dreams sometimes of the previous owners.

To borrow and paraphrase a line from a verse, "The things I love"... about books may be difficult to capture in its electronic form.

I embrace new technology, but new does not have to be in conflict with appreciation of the old.

There is also another sinister thing about new consumer technology - planned obsolescence. How many of us have fallen in love with some new gadgets and in it stored all what we consider to be useful. Before we realized it, the new consumer technology became old, and obsolete with respect to newer replacements.

Unless one has been conscientious in porting "older technology" to newer replacements, we may find ourselves incapable of accessing all we spent so much time "digitizing". This is one reason why librarians, even those who embrace new technology would never part with old books. Harvard spends millions of dollars to restore old books (from the threat of acid burns), because printed books have so far outlived many more recent digital technologies.

CGC
  • Reply 66 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Sounds pretty good on paper. But will anyone want to buy it?

Hell no! It's just a big, giant iPod Touch!

• Reply 67 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Nice reference there to 2 Live Crew

Heh. I caught that, too.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donal View Post

Today is iPaddy's day so it may be appropriate to remind people of St iPaddy's Breastplate

iPad be with me, iPad within me,

iPad behind me, iPad before me,

iPad beside me, iPad to win me,

iPad to comfort and restore me.

iPad beneath me, iPad above me,

iPad in quiet, iPad in danger,

iPad in hearts of all that love me,

IPad in hands of friend and stranger.

My guess is you like the iPad.

• Reply 69 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

This article read like an advertisement. Like Steve wrote it himself.

Anyway....

"While the new Smart Covers don't "protect" the back, that's partly a feature"

WTF? Try to drop your iPad on the floor accidentely and see how good the 'feature' works!

You should probably learn the difference between the words cover and case, then reread the article and then you can participate in the comments section with the grownups.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    But is it Magical???
  • Reply 71 of 78
    mariepmariep Posts: 1member
    I like ITime tool in Ipad2, so imazing.
  • Reply 72 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Trying to figure out how the Twitter app works

It's better than the Website.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

But is it Magical???

No. That's pure marketing tripe. It's a super all-purpose general computer, though.
  • Reply 74 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Clearly the Smart Cover isn?t designed for overall protection. I don?t even know how this fact could escape the two of you.

It was appropriately named Smart Cover...not Clumsy Idiot Cover
  • Reply 75 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curious G View Post

It was appropriately named Smart Cover...not Clumsy Idiot Cover

Speaking of clumsy idiot, I dropped my computer bag today with my MBP and iPad 2 inside. My MBP was fine, but my iPad 2 has scracthed and dents on two corners. The reason is the iPad 2 is now thin enough, even with the Smart Cover on, to fit in the side pocket of my computer bag. This is the unpaded and unprotected pocket that would might store some paper in on the outside. Oops.

No worries, though. No cracked glass and the unit works the same as before. I bet I could even sell it for more than I bought it for if I were so inclined. Anyway, I wonder if a computer/tablet bag or a bag that has a padded space for a tablet might be something that would be popular.
  • Reply 76 of 78
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

There is not a practical cover that will "protect" your iPad if you drop it on the floor. Maybe you should put it in a briefcase bigger than a notebook computer in case you drop it.

There's no affordable insurance for being a moron. If you can't manage not to drop things, don't buy electronics. What kind of hyper-protective case do you need for your keyboard, watch, notebook, remote control, glasses, ect.

So dropping stuff makes you a moron? Wow.

And you shouldn't be buying electronics when dropping things? Wow. I'll think about that next time when I watch TV, start my car, turn on the lights or make coffee. I'd better replace the lights with torches. Now that's safe.

Anyway.

Accidents happen to everyone. That's why 95% of the iPhone buyers buy rubber/hard covers protecting much more than this "Smart Cover" does. Perhaps the cover should be labeled "Moron Cover"?
  • Reply 77 of 78
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

You should probably learn the difference between the words cover and case, then reread the article and then you can participate in the comments section with the grownups.

Ah, the language purist. You must be a very wise man. Nah, probably a very insecure one.

...Cover, case, whatever. This is clearly a case (whaha! case! haha!) of protection. And it sucks at it.
  • Reply 78 of 78

You may find somehing different  in http://www.ourcase.co.uk