$500 target slapped on Apple as iPad seen dominating $120B tablet market by 2015

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Sounds nice. Now how about a dividend payment, or is Apple trying to be the first company to loose $40 billion when the bank its sitting in goes bankrupt.

they are saving for a big purchase in the infrastructure end of the market to hedge against the anti competitive bandwidth caps on ATT and COMCAST that make it impractical to use products like Apple TV rather than Cable TV. methinks sprint/clearwire or something of that nature...or perhaps maybe a small cable company to show what is possible with a coax last mile on a fiber network...I hope...

also, this money isnt in a bank somewhere, companies dont put that kind of money in your local banks Christmas club account if ya know what I mean, it is most likely in many differant cash equivalents, and easily liquifiable investments like bonds or mutual funds, I would bet that Apple has some keen money managers working on that nestegg...
  • Reply 22 of 47
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

they are saving for a big purchase in the infrastructure end of the market to hedge against the anti competitive bandwidth caps on ATT and COMCAST that make it impractical to use products like Apple TV rather than Cable TV. methinks sprint/clearwire or something of that nature...or perhaps maybe a small cable company to show what is possible with a coax last mile on a fiber network...

i agree they are looking at a big infrastructure purchase, but i doubt it would be a small cable company. Possibly a Sprint. I was actually thinking more like Vizio, to pave the way for the inevitable Apple Television. But that would be impossible to keep secret, so I think they'll just build their own (heck, they're almost there already with 27.5" iMacs).
  • Reply 23 of 47
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

also, this money isnt in a bank somewhere, companies dont put that kind of money in your local banks Christmas club account if ya know what I mean, it is most likely in many differant cash equivalents, and easily liquifiable investments like bonds or mutual funds, I would bet that Apple has some keen money managers working on that nestegg...

they tell you exactly where the money is each quarter in their SEC filings.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheeles View Post

"In his inaugural note to clients..."

Hmm..., it sounds like this guy is trying to make a name for himself. He's taken a solid bet of a company, and then slapped the highest price target of the lot on it to get headlines and attention. Whether or not AAPL gets to $500 (nobody knows exactly what the future holds), the guy has already achieved his objective of getting noticed.

Take what these analysts say with a pinch of salt. He might be right, he might be wrong. For him it's about making a splash and getting paid.

It's his inaugural report because of several factors - the technology person at Credit Suisse left some months ago, so the company quit covering tech until they found a replacement. The company had to re-analyze the entire tech sector. That's why it says they're "initiating" coverage. They're not a fly-by-night financial firm, like the one that issued the warning yesterday. He may be right or wrong, but as the tech anlyst at Credit Suisse, he's not a shill.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Geez, a downgrade yesterday from a low-rent firm, followed by several upgrades today. The big guys just love to raid your stops, and get a terrific buying opportunity just ahead of earnings next month.

I much prefer this article, which speaks to the old buy and hold mantra (Apple is my only buy and hold stock, for sure).

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2581...and-hold-stock

That's all they've ever done and yet they legally get coddled instead of having the government squash them for artificially juicing the system.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Bla bla bla.

J.

bla bla bla, is this the translation of jnjnjn? (Klingonian or simplified trollish?)
  • Reply 27 of 47
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

It's his inaugural report because of several factors - the technology person at Credit Suisse left some months ago, so the company quit covering tech until they found a replacement. The company had to re-analyze the entire tech sector. That's why it says they're "initiating" coverage. They're not a fly-by-night financial firm, like the one that issued the warning yesterday. He may be right or wrong, but as the tech anlyst at Credit Suisse, he's not a shill.

I think this makes sense. And IMO one of the more interressting market analysis I have read recently.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    AAPL, the Berkshire-Hathaway of the computer world.

Unless they decide to a split to help with the psychology of such a share value and allow modest investors to join in on the fun. They've done it three times and there is ample evidence indicating it will happen this year. Splits also tone down the wild up and down swings that virtually everyone measures in terms of dollars instead of percentage.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    mrpogemrpoge Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Unless they decide to a split to help with the psychology of such a share value and allow modest investors to join in on the fun. They've done it three times and there is ample evidence indicating it will happen this year .

What evidence, other than the stock price itself, are you referring to?
  • Reply 30 of 47
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Unless they decide to a split to help with the psychology of such a share value and allow modest investors to join in on the fun. They've done it three times and there is ample evidence indicating it will happen this year. Splits also tone down the wild up and down swings that virtually everyone measures in terms of dollars instead of percentage.

Only dummies measure stock moves in dollars.

What is all this "ample evidence" you reference?
  • Reply 31 of 47
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

The Apple Store is also a way to sell and provide good customer service. Where do I go when something goes wrong with my Xoom or I need help with native Android apps?

You on your own homey!!! Moto ain't got no damn customer service.

But going to the Apple store is like visiting the Beatles during a meet and greet while they jam. Now that is customer service!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 32 of 47
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

i agree they are looking at a big infrastructure purchase, but i doubt it would be a small cable company. Possibly a Sprint. I was actually thinking more like Vizio, to pave the way for the inevitable Apple Television. But that would be impossible to keep secret, so I think they'll just build their own (heck, they're almost there already with 27.5" iMacs).

they dont need visio, they just need to hire a few engineers to integrate an appletv and hd ota tuner in the cinema display body.

The real problem is comcast and ATT preferring their own content via broadband caps that apply to apple, netflix, hulu and so on, but not to comcast on demand and such. A perfect example is MLB.TV The same exact package sells on cable for more than online (they call it extra innings ppv on tv), the cable package doesn't give you online access but doesn't count against your cap; the same exact content streamed from MLB.com counts against you.

Bits is bits, they are exempting theirs, and all of them do it, the government is in bed with these fuckers, so the only way out is for Apple or google to provide a new option.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Is the target $500 by 2015?
  • Reply 34 of 47
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    The most interesting part of this is that the iPad 2 is apparently having supply issues while the tab, Xoom etc are out on shelves and folks are waiting. Whining at the same time but waiting for the iPad. Makes me think someone spiked the kool aid with tigers blood.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

I don't understand this. AAPL has been mostly an institutional holding for the past ten years. It's not a retail stock.

Frankly, I'm not particularly interested in the volatility of having a large number of retail investors influencing this company's market capitalization. AAPL doesn't need this; they are already an S&P 500 component.

Yes, I am a retail investor. However, I see no added value in having more of my type. AAPL, GOOG, etc. probably see some sort of value in keeping share price high, just to weed out chumps.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

That's always been the analysts' escape hatch - announce a target but avoid tying it to a specific timeframe. The direct answer to your question is yes - or sometime sooner within a four-year horizon where he estimates growth and results for several major product categories and sectors. Other more venturesome individuals are forecasting $500 in the next year or two.

As such, Garcha is not out on a limb at all, since $500 is perhaps 10 percent more than the consensus of current target prices among analysts following Apple. And $500 is simply a nice "milestone number," sexier than $488 or $493 or $505, so it'll pick up some readership.

Not to diminish Garcha's number crunching, which is derived from a decent amount of financial analysis. But smart analysts spray a final spritz of perfume on their estimates, and $500 has a nice scent at this time.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Never happen. Steve Jobs, himself, said that the reason why no more splits would take place is for the same reason why Berkshire and Google don't split: It gives a truer indication of the value of the company.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpoge View Post

What evidence, other than the stock price itself, are you referring to?

None, because he has none.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Only dummies measure stock moves in dollars.

What is all this "ample evidence" you reference?

Here here. Always measure in percentage gains. If more people did this, the share price wouldn't be an issue and they'd invest at any price.

Again, he has no evidence.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

Price targets are 12 months out, unless otherwise stated.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post

This is the only stock I bought in 2000 that is worth anything now, all the rest of the companies disappeared. Apple also is the only one I bought where is was not a recommendation from a friend or adviser. I got lucky and bought a crap load of AAPL at $10 a share.

I picked up 4000 at a split adjusted price of $4.25 in '98.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I picked up 4000 at a split adjusted price of $4.25 in '98.

You have over 1.2 million dollars worth of APPL in your folio? And you advertise this in a forum?
  • Reply 39 of 47
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Sounds nice. Now how about a dividend payment, or is Apple trying to be the first company to loose $40 billion when the bank its sitting in goes bankrupt.

It's "LOSE" not "LOOSE"
  • Reply 40 of 47
    wheeleswheeles Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

It's actually not the highest target. I checked. Some firm has $550.

Well if we're going to split hairs, Louis Navallier came out with a $600 target several years back.

You are all missing the point: it's not the number as such that matters, but the desire to make a splash on his first research note to make a name for himself.