Apple has have enough iPad 2 components to maintain production for 2-3 weeks

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple, along with its Taiwanese manufacturing partner Foxconn, has stockpiled enough components to continue to assemble new iPad 2s for at least another 2 to 3 weeks before they'd face a stockout that would halt production should the situation in Japan not improve, according to a published report.

Although it declined to comment on specific clients, Foxconn Electronics has reportedly emphasized that it will not see any component shortages in the short term, adding that it has already prepared backup suppliers for parts used to manufacture its customers' products even as Japan's earthquake has caused shortages of components throughout the industry.

Even if component supplies do fall into shortage, Foxconn's capability of securing supply resources is still much better than its competitors, DigiTimes cites unnamed representatives of the company as saying. It added that "market watchers" are also pointing out that Foxconn should still have "about 2-3 weeks of component inventory left as IT players normally keep a certain level of inventory on hand for safety."

The iPhone and iPad manufacturer has reportedly been investigating the inventory levels of its component supply subsidiaries and reporting back to clients like Apple, all the while simultaneously activating its backup plans, those same market watchers pointed out. These plans reportedly include "increasing their orders to second-tier suppliers and finding other supply sources and replacement components."

Those same people also vouched their belief that if Japan's power brownout policy and radiation pollution can be resolved within a month, allowing affected plants to start operating, the problem should not land a material blow to Foxconn or the electronics makers it services. However, should Japan's problems worsen, every industry worldwide will be affected, they added.

Should a recent iSuppli report be believed, Apple and Foxconn may be most concerned about five specific iPad 2 components sourced from Japan, including three believed to be supplied exclusively by component makers based out of the region: an electronic compass, the touch screen overlay glass, and the battery.

An earlier report from PiperJaffray noted that the shutdown of at least two of Apple's Japanese component suppliers is likely to create shortages of the iPad 2 -- as well as the iPhone 4 -- into the June quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    And what does this mean for my iPad that's supposed to ship in 4-5 weeks?
  • Reply 2 of 96
    Wow, that title needs a fix: "Apple has have enough..."
  • Reply 3 of 96
    imoanimoan Posts: 56member
    Forget the iPad already. Just get a MacBook. It's a way better experience anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

Forget the iPad already. Just get a MacBook. It's a way better experience anyway.

What kind of retarded comment is that?

I already have a macbook, and a powerbook, and an imac, and a powermac and a hackintosh and a few other macs also.

It's the touchscreen that makes the ipad attractive.
  • Reply 5 of 96
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

Yeah! 3 times the cost AND weight, but 1/3 the wait.
  • Reply 6 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I was at the Apple Store last night and there were alot of frustrated people there. Some had shown up 3-4 mornings in a row to try and get an iPad with no luck. If find it interesting that the shortages are always iOS devices.

They had plenty of smart covers in all colors just no iPads to go with them. This was a US only release so far right?
  • Reply 7 of 96
    Hire a freaking editor! The frequent grammar errors I see here are really rediculous.
  • Reply 8 of 96
    Gah. Makes me wonder what'll happen to mine. Ordered the evening of launch day and I've got an estimated ship date of April 1st. Hmm...
  • Reply 9 of 96
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Yeah! 3 times the cost AND weight, but 1/3 the wait.

And 1/5 the portability.
  • Reply 10 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

This was a US only release so far right?

Yeah, the international release is in 1 week from today, 3/25.
  • Reply 11 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I was wondering the same thing. I'm in the same boat. I wish I hadn't hesitated and just ordered the day they came out!
  • Reply 12 of 96
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

Wow, that title needs a fix: "Apple has have enough..."

There are many more errors in this post. It is one of the worst written stories I've ever seen on AI. Don't expect Reuters to pick up on this one.
  • Reply 13 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cronked View Post

Hire a freaking editor! The frequent grammar errors I see here are really rediculous.

I take it your misspelling of ridiculous was intentional, correct.
  • Reply 14 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cronked View Post

I was wondering the same thing. I'm in the same boat. I wish I hadn't hesitated and just ordered the day they came out!

Same here. I had no idea that it was going to be this crazy. I don't think that anybody did. But oh well, I guess that there's nothing that we can do about it. I do blame those damn scalpers though, otherwise I would have had mine already.
  • Reply 15 of 96
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    So this is probably an opportunity for those that receive iPad 2's to make a fast buck on Ebay by jacking the price up for people or businesses that don't want to wait.

I'd suspect that Japanese component manufacturers can shift manufacturing to other plant not affected by the earthquakes. I'd be shocked if they couldn't.
  • Reply 16 of 96
    Anyone seeing ANY movement on their orders from last weekend? I have my cover which arrived relatively early (Mar16 - ordered Mar11 - 7am CT), but I haven't seen a thing about people getting shipments other then some ATT folks earlier this week.

I was in the 'iPad Ships 5-7' club.
  • Reply 17 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has have enough iPad 2 components to maintain production for 2-3 weeks

They does do?
  • Reply 18 of 96
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

They does do?

HALARIOUS DUH,

i needed that, high stress day
  • Reply 19 of 96
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Releases are coordinated to have a pre-set number for each country.

In short, they assemble for each country and as they stager the releases they can build up continued supply for prior countries.

They never assemble solely for one country in a linear progression.
  • Reply 20 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

They does do?

They does do da... duh!