102nd U.S. Open

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's finally started! The 102nd U.S. Open goes down at the Black Course in Bethpage State Park, NY. This is the longest par 70 golf course ever for a U.S. Open at 7,214 yards! I am probably more excited about this major and this U.S. Open than I ever have been for championships in the past. This is a great setting for this "Open" championship. It's just that. It's open to everyone. This is a golf course that is truly public and costs I think around $30 to play 18. Think about it, that's not more than your average muni to play a course that the pros will be taking on this week. This course is one of the best in the world and you can see right now it's giving the big names trouble already. Not only the fact that it's a public facility but the fact that it's in NY. This gives NY something to be proud about and have a great event to watch and have fun with. It should be a great tournament.

BTW, Tiger is tied for the lead at 2 under.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Go Tiger!
  • Reply 2 of 18
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Tiger will be the first to win the great slam.

Hey Tiger, i am thinking to change my club for the Cleveland form forged TA3

I have bought the White Odyssey two balls : a very good putter .
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Is this tennis? ©2002 Anders

- T.I.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Come on Monty!!

• Reply 5 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by Jamie:

<strong>Come on Monty!!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

is it one of your more smiling Scottish guy ?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    powerdoc-Those aren't bad clubs at all. Cleveland make pretty good clubs and aren't too overpriced. How much are they over there? I am actually thinking about some forged irons, but not really considering those.

Man is this turning into a blood bath. These conditions are a little unfair now I think. Granted Tiger shoots 68 in rainy cold miserable conditions I don't think they are quite as bad as they are now. It's coming down in buckets and there is standing water all over the course, even on the greens. Yikes, guys will have no chance now at getting anywhere close to Tiger . Hopefully they suspend play, or else Tiger will just run away with this thing. No way you can play an already hard golf course like this. Also, I think Sergio go really pissed at someone doing something because of his re-gripping (yes, it's annoying) and flipped them off!

Leaderboard

Tiger Woods -5

K. J Choi -1

Padraig Harrington E

Dudley Hart +1

Segio Garcia +1

Phil Mickelson +1

Jeff Maggert +1

Tom Lehman +1

Wow, where the heck did Lehman come from? Monty I doubt made the cut lol. Come on Maggert!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Damn Padraig is makin a move! Go get em Paddy! 2 under par!
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Tiger is unstoppable
  • Reply 9 of 18
    True that. He's making every single putt out there. Hopefully someone can challenge this weekend. 5 under par is amazing on this golf course.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Well in europe you can find the Cleveland TA 3 form forged gun metal for 1150 ? , if you are not interested by the gun metal it cost less than 1000 ?. The gun metal are sell with a sensicore metal shaft, that absorb vibrations. Personnaly i like the gun metal even it it is a bit more expansive.

The callaway are very expansive : the hawk eye serie is sell 1800 ? in France. Taylor made is becoming more and more expansive. I think that Cleveland is a good choice if you have a good swing (like you tiger ) . I was happy that my pro propose me to sell this kind of club : a good sign.

For forged club with a small cavity back, like the TA3 which are played by the pro, there is also the taylor made 300 series, and the mizuno MX 20. For me blades are too difficults to play, and some pros like Seve Ballesteros and Monty plays now small cavity backs irons.

I am angry because i cannot 'see the US open, i don't have the right channel for this on my tv
  • Reply 11 of 18
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Did you see the 10th hole yesterday? Half of the field couldn't reach the fairway. It's a 255 yard carry to get over the fescue and into the fairway, and with the rain and strong head wind, a lot of the guys couldn't get there.

Imagine that, a professional golfer hits a good drive down the pipe, and they're hitting their second shot out of heavy rough - and they've got 250+ yards still to go. What did they say... less than 10% of the guys hit that green in regulation?

I guess if the USGA wants everyone shooting 76-78, job well done.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    There are actually things in US that are over 100 years old :eek:

U.S.Open is only 8 years younger than the house I am living in.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    murbot-This is not the Wal Mart Open or Burger King Classic (i.e. tournaments where Phil wins). This is a major championship. It is meant to be hard, and I don't think the USGA intends to have a birdie fest out there. The major reason for guys not reaching some fairways yesterday was the fact that conditions were absolutely horrible out there. I think all the pros who are now complaining need a little cheese with that wine. Corey Pavin was dead last in driving averaging about 230 off the tee, yet he made the cut. Personally I think a U.S. Open should have winning scores close to par. This ain't your average local muni.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>murbot-This is not the Wal Mart Open or Burger King Classic (i.e. tournaments where Phil wins). This is a major championship. It is meant to be hard, and I don't think the USGA intends to have a birdie fest out there. The major reason for guys not reaching some fairways yesterday was the fact that conditions were absolutely horrible out there. I think all the pros who are now complaining need a little cheese with that wine. Corey Pavin was dead last in driving averaging about 230 off the tee, yet he made the cut. Personally I think a U.S. Open should have winning scores close to par. This ain't your average local muni. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I wonder what will be my score if i played the black course (but my handicap is too hight to have the right to play on it), but Tiger if one day you play on it, tell me your experience.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Well, looks like it's up to Lefty now (Phil Mickelson). He's at -1 while Tiger's at -4. Sergio has played bad to this point and really doesn't hav a chance at +2.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    From memory i never see a so difficult open, Woods win with only 3 under the par, and Mickelson is equal to the par, while all the others players are above.

Tiger is a great champion, Garcia is not able soon to be ranked first at his place. At the beginning of the year, Sergio said that he will be first in both the US and european tour : game over for him.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Phil Mickelson always seems to choke on any Sunday of a major. He was at -2 while Tiger was -4, the proceeded to bogey 16 & 17. He had a birdie putt on 18 then. Count on Lefty to pull every 5 footer he has for par on Sunday.

Sergio disappointed. I thought he would put up a fight too, especially when Tiger made bogey right out of the gate. He ends up finishing 4th by shooting an abysmal 4 over par 74 in the last round. Not what I expected nor did I want it.

• Reply 18 of 18
    The Black at Bethpage State Park - Public

TEES\tPAR\tYARDS\tSLOPE\tUSGA

Championship\tÂ*\tÂ*7295\tÂ*148\tÂ*76.60

Middle\tÂ*71\tÂ*6789\tÂ*140\tÂ*73.90

Forward\tÂ*71\tÂ*6281\tÂ*134\tÂ*71.40

The last number is the course rating, which is the average score of a scratch golfer on the course. This means someone who normally shoots an even par round would shoot 7 over or so on the Black Course. I think that rating might be lower than it actually is because the same site had a lower rating for a course that i play. I'd push that rating up to about 80 for the U.S. Open, maybe higher. Also it has a very high slope rating (elevation changes). I haven't played the course but would love to take apart in the next U.S. Open or major they host at Bethpage.