Rumors of new, free MobileMe service from Apple gain steam

Comments

• Reply 61 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

I use the site-hosting feature of MobileMe to run a very small site created on iWeb - hopefully this feature comes along for the free ride.

It would be awesome if it does. iWeb is great for creating quick-and-dirty website-feature mockups and buttons.
  • Reply 62 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthias03 View Post

Ditto. They better take good care of us idiots. I enjoy this service. They better not lame it out, like Google's suites, with a bunch of ads and crap.

I agree, I have always felt stupid for paying this fee for the service, but it does work for me, so I just renewed the service on March 7th. Don't mess it up.
  • Reply 63 of 102
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

This rumor is BS.

Apple is not going to give up $100/ year from x millions of current subscribers. Sure they'll give something away for free, but they aren't giving up what they already.....

There are all kinds of ways Apple can tie mobile payments to location services. Think of Google location services, Groupon, and Visa all under one umbrella. That's what Apple will be doing in-house.

I can totally see this happening. With this goal: Pull people off Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Reader, and most urgently - to get them onto an Apple-branded location services and PAYMENT product.

You can't get people on your location services and payment systems if they're up to their neck in Google services already. So you have to offer the key things Google offers, for free.

Sure - people argue that Google isn't free - it's not some fascinating argument - we all get it. But I'd venture that most people are going to pick a "free" service over one like paid MobileMe.
  • Reply 64 of 102
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

MobileMe was never marketed as just "syncing capability".

Uh, who said it was? He said that's what he used it for. It's what I use it for too.
  • Reply 65 of 102
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

That is complete bullshit. If apple sold MobileMe subscriber info then why:

1) they don't have ads on it and don't report any ad revenue from data mining in their financial reports?

2) apple had major negotiation problems with google because they refused to release private information like geographical location, email addresses, etc. In exchange for the google apps like maps?

3) apple had negotiation issues with publishers because they refused to release iOS device owners' private info who purchased subscriptions and other content

4) required explicit opt-in for in app subscription purchases (instead of deceptive opt-out tactics that Facebook and google are famous for)?

In other words, Apple is fair? Right?

Then why do people think Apple will suddenly start selling their information through this rumored free service?
  • Reply 66 of 102
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Um, Apple doesn't sell MobileMe personal info for profit, never has. It's one of the reasons we pay for the service.

If it annoys you enough, yes. It's one of the main reasons I don't watch TV anymore. There are many ways to get content these days that doesn't involve watching ads, you just have to pay money to do it. Seems fair to me.

I wish you read the previous posts. You are simply agreeing with me. Thanks.
  • Reply 67 of 102
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, my. Always with those "trusted sources"... how much can anyone "trust" someone who is willing to divulge secret corporate information for money or an ego stroke or the illicit thrill of breaking an NDA? <snip>

Trusted source? I don't think so.

Good point. "Trusted source" sounds oxymoronic.

Although it is very likely true that Apple also has people who are "authorized" to "leak" info at times. I suppose they could be considered "trusted sources" without having to bend the definition of trusted...
  • Reply 68 of 102
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Clearly this article is actually a blend of a lot of different stories that are being passed around and clearly some parts are true, some are total BS, and some are somewhere in the middle. Anyone who takes this as verbatim is just not thinking. Just to point out a couple of areas where what is being said is just not likely:

1) The idea of a smaller, cheaper iPhone, but one that does all the same things the current iPhone does and has apps etc. being sold alongside the current iPhone is a complete non-starter. Why would anyone buy the current iPhone if they could get the second cheaper one that does the same stuff? The article even points to the problem raised by these kind of assertions when it says that it "isn't a dumbed down feature phone," but then goes on to describe something that sounds very much like a dumbed down feature phone. Unless it replaces the current iPhone (and therefore isn't an iPhone "nano" but simply the iPhone 5), it *has* to have a dumbed down feature set, there is simply no other way.

2) MobileMe is said to be going free, but the article implies that it will be so different that the paying users like myself, will need to be given "support" for the next year while it presumably transitions away to something so different that we might actually lose some features. This is absolutely asinine.

What features could possibly be eliminated that we need to transition away from?

If we ignore the features that are supposed to be offered in the free version, all that's left is email and online storage. Currently MobileMe offers it's paying customers *less* storage than is already available on almost every device they sell. If the new free service is going to sync your stuff it would arguably use more space on the servers by a huge factor than they currently "sell" to their paying customers.

Similarly, the email address and iTunes account (often the same thing) are the core of any service whether it be free or not. Is Apple likely to stop serving email? Does it make any sense to ditch all the folks that have stuck with them for ten long years using .Mac and MobileMe, over saving a few pennies by eliminating email?

There is so much garbage in this report it's impossible to determine which parts of it *might* be *slightly* true.

Finally! The voice of reason. Apple's finest minds got together and proposed this to Uncle Steve: "Hey! Let's make mm free and give it to everyone who buys an apple product. Then let's take out email. I mean who needs push email anyway? Can't they just use gmail? I hear it's free."

Uncle Steve: "Yah...that sounds about right."

Come on now people. Use your noggins.
  • Reply 69 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gaygeek View Post

No, Apple is playing catch-up... the Xoom and any future Honeycomb tablets already have free cloud sync and restore capability, combined with gmail provides essentially the same solution.

Not even close - if this rumor it true. The ability to sync content from both the cloud and your home computer, without having to push Gigs of data up to the cloud, is so much more. Having that data local when at home is so much better. What Google offers is a basket of half-baked beta solutions loosely stitched together. People buy Apple products because they want quality products and services that simply work, and work simply.
  • Reply 70 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Then why do people think Apple will suddenly start selling their information through this rumored free service?

I'm not sure I understand where you're going. I quoted where you stated that apple is selling MobileMe subscriber info and I pointed out reasons that statement is false. What does that have to do with fair? Or right for that matter?

And I have no clue why anyone would anyone would think that apple would sell their info since their past and current business practices regarding privacy don't seem to be sliding in that direction.
  • Reply 71 of 102
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I'd be happy to pay if Apple could learn to sync.

Dropbox make a business out of Apple not getting iDisk working well.

And Apple have deleted emails and Notes from my account just from bad syncing.

Don't make it free, make it work !
  • Reply 72 of 102
    Whatever they're going to do...

Just Do It, Do It, Do It!
  • Reply 73 of 102
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I know for a fact I wont be running my Mac 24/7 just to have cloud storege. However if we can have 2 gigs of cloud storage and in addition can turn our desktops into additional storage when we need it (ie leave it on while going on a trip or during an imortsnt meeting) I could see some benefit in that.
  • Reply 74 of 102
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member

Hey Gomer, do you know how many Dumbazzes can fit on one of AppleInsider's Threads ?

No Goober, I don't

Least 72 - but I did run out of fingers and toes, so may be off a lil' bit

Shaazam

Now, please don't get confused by any Theatrical Sarcasm

If not sure what that is - Aunt Bee will explain later

(smile)

Yes, 2 other postings here so far have at least pointed in this direction

For the rest of you ?

Well, let's nip it - nip it in the bud

************ NORTH CAROLINA SERVER FARM ****************

THE SQUARE MILE 'FACILITY' APPLE HAS BEEN FINISHING

READY TO FINALLY GO 'ONLINE'

Ok - that get a few of you up to speed ?

Imagine the possibilities - is what many of you been writing about

All that - and more

Remember - is Apple doing this - not some Microsoft Floyd the Barber operation

Whatever the 'details/specifics' - Total Package will be as 'Dave' described ...

"Something Wonderful"

Change The World?

(BIG TIME)

• Reply 75 of 102
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Uh, who said it was? He said that's what he used it for. It's what I use it for too. So piss off.

Why be such a dick?

He paid $99 a year for one reason. To get the syncing ability, even though he felt like an idiot doing it.
  • Reply 76 of 102
    rolsrols Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Say it enough times and you'll obviously be right.

Exactly - the revamp of mobileMe is always just 2 weeks to a month away according to some source. I'm sure it will happen, it would amuse me if it actually happened when it was actually least expected.
  • Reply 77 of 102
    binexbinex Posts: 23member
    I notice that all the discussion surrounding the Apple NC datacentre has focussed on MobileMe going free and on services such as syncing files, calendars, email etc., but I haven't yet seen anything on Apple providing server-side functionality and infrastructure for iOS developers.

I am dabbling in writing an iOS app and as an indie developer I don't have a huge number of resources available to me (at least until my future app hits the big time!. Some people will slam me for this, but I would welcome an offering from Apple that would allow me to keep my app, both client and server, in an Apple ecosystem.

There are a few emerging companies, StackMob & Proxomo for example, that are now offering these features and some that have focused on APNS or in-app purchases such as Urban Airship, but I am just surprised that Apple has not offered something similar to date.

I would be interested in other peoples' thoughts? =)
  • Reply 78 of 102
    My trial was up yesterday, so today I was billed for MM. I agree, I doubt they will give up the income, that would be stupid. I decided to go with it because I got tired of hearing about all of the new ways Google was storing my info (like in a cloud) so I got rid of my gmail accounts and switched to MM email. I am using file sharing for sending huge graphics files for my clients and recently I found that sharing to MM was the easiest way to get video from my iPad2 iMovie program to be sent in a format that I can also use it in my desktop iMovie (that is not something you can do by syncing, I found that out after buying the iPad version of iMovie) But now I just share it to the MM space and download it to my desktop. So that is cool too. Next to set up is "Back to my Mac" so I don't have to use the wonky LogMeIn service that never quite worked well.

For all it does the MM service is worth the price, I was already paying GoDaddy for file sharing and Yahoo for mail service. Canceling those two pays for half of MM service. Then add on top the extras and the ease of use (I love Godaddy, but their file sharing was complicated to use) And Yahoo was not IMAP, MM is. Yes I did get IMAP from Google, but as I found out the "price" of the "free" service is way too high. And really, Google as always bugging me to upgrade to their paid service so they wanted money from me too, at the price of $50 per year per email.

I really can't imagine Apple offering as much as it does for free, I can imagine a version with much less services for free, but not the full MM experience.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

This rumor is BS.

Apple is not going to give up $100/ year from x millions of current subscribers. Sure they'll give something away for free, but they aren't giving up what they already.

Nothing is free and if there is a free service I would expect there to be a premium service as well. The other possibility is that all of this is going to be partially iAd based. I would hope there's a premium ad free option.

The rumor also makes it sound like Apple is going to strand it's current MM users and ditch the current service all together? Way to alienate loyal subscribers. Again, I don't think Apple would ditch mail and calendars etc.

Using your home server as the "storage" for the cloud? Didn't we already come to the conclusion this won't work either?

I don't see any of these things happening. We will probably see a free MM with a mixture of components and features and the paid version will offer another mix.

My account renewed 7 days ago. I got no notice from Apple as per the students rumored above. I've been using the service since the very beginning with itools, then dot mac etc.

• Reply 79 of 102
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Given that Apple has made a huge deal out of privacy, customer info etc they will not sell or give away anything carte blanche with a free mobile me. They might perhaps explain iAds to the web and use the same select info if you agree that it is okay game as the iOS apps. But they won't risk the PR nightmare, the non iAds networks demanding access to info and permission to share it that they are currently denied etc
  • Reply 80 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The only drawbacks to Dropbox are things they have no control over, like core OS functions that could make Dropbox be a little more user-friendly, something that Apple could achieve, at least on their OSes, if they decide to follow Dropbox. I don’t see how they can not follow their lead.

The two drawbacks of Dropbox are that it's not built-into every Mac and iOS device by default. So you have to do your homework, find out about the website and service, register and install it, etc. And the fact that you need to "manage" a seperare folder. If Dropbox was part of the OS and part of a free Mobile Me service it would be awesome just having your stuff backed up and in-sync completely automatically. That's the promise of this dream. You buy a new Mac or iOS device, you enter your Apple ID and password and all your stuff is setup. That day can't come soon enough.