Top Mac App Store apps generate 50% as much revenue as top iPad apps

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just two months after Apple's launch of the Mac App Store, the 300 bestselling Mac apps already generate, on average, 50 percent of the revenue of the top 300 iPad apps.

App analytics firm Distimo revealed its findings in a February 2011 report on app store ecosystems published Friday.

Although the iPad App Store still sees considerably more downloads than the Mac App Store, a higher average selling price for Mac apps makes up some of the difference, the report noted. The average selling price of the top 300 applications on the Mac App Store is $11.21, seven times higher than bestselling applications for the iPhone and nearly three times higher than on the iPad.

Also of note is the fact that the Mac App Store maintains the lowest proportion of free apps among any of the app stores Distimo analyzed, including BlackBerry App World, Android Market and Windows Phone 7 Marketplace. 12 percent of applications on the Mac App Store are free, compared to 35 percent of all iPhone apps and 29 percent of all iPad apps.

According to the report, the Mac App Store had 2,225 applications as of February 2011, compared to the 8,099 iPad applications available in May 2010, two months after the launch of the iPad. Of those 2,225 Mac applications, 646, or 29 percent, are games.

More than 60 percent of the 100 most popular free and paid iPhone applications were games during February 2011, compared to less than 50 percent of iPad apps and less than 40 percent of Mac apps. Mac apps tended to be more focused on productivity, with a greater proportion of categories like Education, Graphics & Design, Productivity, Utilities and Video in the top 100 free and paid apps than on the iPhone and iPad App Stores.

Given that Apple launched the Mac App Store on Jan. 6 with the release of Mac OS X 10.6.6, Distimo's analytics cover the first full month since the digital storefront opened.

Apple recently stirred a controversy over in-app subscriptions on the iPad and iPhone App Stores. Shortly after unveiling new App Store subscription services, Apple came under fire from developers and publishers for new rules banning links to out-of-app purchases and requiring matching prices with subscriptions offered outside of an app. Also at issue was a policy that requires legacy apps to comply with the new rules by June 30 or possibly face removal from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also of note is the fact that the Mac App Store maintains the lowest proportion of free apps among any of the app stores Distimo analyzed, including BlackBerry App World, Android Market and Windows Phone 7 Marketplace. By comparison, 35 percent of all iPhone apps and 29 percent of all iPad apps are free.

By comparison to what? You never stated the percentage of apps that are free on the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Wake me up when the iPad has AutoCAD. Full scale productivity is for OS X. The mass consumption device of our daily lives is the iOS platform.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    A little early in the day to be drawing conclusions, as both the Mac and iPad app stores are less than a year old. But the Macintosh is comfortably the most powerful of the three devices, so it's unsurprising it has more complex and therefore more expensive software.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Wake me up when it's compatible with Leopard 10.5.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    good grief, AI really does need a proofreader or copy editor.

When I read that headline
    Quote:

Top Mac App Store apps generate 50% as much revenue as top iPad apps

it appears that MAS offerings are getting half as much revenue.

Then this statement confirmed it:
    Quote:

Just two months after Apple's launch of the Mac App Store, the 300 bestselling Mac apps already generate, on average, 50 percent of the revenue of the top 300 iPad apps.

The graphics in the article show a much different situation, though.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Wake me up when the iPad has AutoCAD. Full scale productivity is for OS X. The mass consumption device of our daily lives is the iOS platform.

The world is just beginning to realize what's happening. I'm guessing we'll see full-scale productivity on iOS devices with the unified, post-Lion OS and when Apple can pack the CPU & GPU power of desktops into an iPad without increasing the thickness, overheating, or killing the battery in less than a day.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

When I read that headline it appears that MAS offerings are getting half as much revenue.

I'm not seeing what's wrong. The green bar, mac, is about half of the orange bar, iPad, on the $ chart, top right.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why won't you update to Snow Leopard? It's only $30, even if your machine can't run Lion.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:

When I read that headline it appears that MAS offerings are getting half as much revenue.

Perhaps you should read it again. It seemed pretty sound to me... even matching the graphs.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why won't you update to Snow Leopard? It's only $30, even if your machine can't run Lion.

Maybe he got a PowerPC Mac?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I took a peek at the bars of the photography apps. The iPhone seems 4 times bigger compared with the iPad. With the iPad being a much more useful device for working with photo's I think that's strange. Maybe there are way more photo apps available for the iPhone than there are for the iPad. And if so, these percentages on all the categories don't make much sense. Or am I seeing this wrong?

Cheers,

Phil
  • Reply 12 of 26
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The Mac App Store is a very good idea. I have been a Mac user for years, and before the MAS I used to discover on the web great apps that had been around for years, but I had simply not known about. Knowledge of what's out there used to be a big problem.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Maybe he got a PowerPC Mac?

Then he shouldn't be complaining about the Mac App Store not running on a five (minimum) year old machine, particularly when NONE of the applications therein can run on his machine.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well, looks like you're never waking up then. It was billed as a feature of 10.7, then they announced it would be released early for 10.6 It will never be available for 10.5, nor should it be.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Take the blindfold off. There is a middle ground between mass consumption and productivity. A doctor running an app to help with his work for example. In interactive teaching tool for high school advanced physics. There are endless potential ways the iPad can become a tool and help the user be productive. It is neither mass consumption nor traditional creation where the iPad 2 actually shines the brightest IMHO.

Having said that even the basic creativity tasks you are thinking of are becoming possible just look at the video editing potential. If you could take iMovie on an iPad 2 back in time to show a 1995 high end editing studio it would seem like a gadget from Star Trek's 23rd century to them.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

AutoDesk makes a free app for the iPhone and iPad called AutoCad WS. It's more like a viewer, but you can do stuff like drawing lines and dimensioning amongst other tools.

Personally, it's best to be used as a viewer. Actually, I wish AutoDesk would just make "Design Review" for the iPad, this WS is a bit clumsy but it works if you're on a jobsite. and you can sync back to your network when you get back to the office.

It's a good idea but Design Review would be much more useful of a tool for job site work.

I've been a user of AutoCAD since release 10, and i couldn't see getting any REAL work done on the iPad even if it did have a fully functioning AutoCAD on it. plus the software is WAY TOO demanding on the hardware for the iPad to be truly useful as a CAD machine. AutoDesk's minimum spec's for running are at least a Core iX series processor and 2 gigs of RAM. It's going to be quite a while (if ever) that we see the iPad get to those specs. Plus having to sync block libaries and "Design Center" to an iPad, it would be the only program you'd be able to have on the iPad, due to the amount of information that would need to be stored on the device.

I just took a job working 50% of my year in China and I have an iPad, but having a Precision Mobile worksation is the only way to do real work. Can't wait for the Mx600 series to be released...
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I took a peek at the bars of the photography apps. The iPhone seems 4 times bigger compared with the iPad. With the iPad being a much more useful device for working with photo's I think that's strange. Maybe there are way more photo apps available for the iPhone than there are for the iPad. And if so, these percentages on all the categories don't make much sense. Or am I seeing this wrong?

Cheers,

Phil

A lot of the iPhone apps are actually for taking pictures, and up until last week the iPad didn't have a camera.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Cheers,

Phil

Considering the iPad doesn't have a camera and the iPad2 only started shipping on 03/11/11 why would this be strange?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

The world is just beginning to realize what's happening. I'm guessing we'll see full-scale productivity on iOS devices with the unified, post-Lion OS and when Apple can pack the CPU & GPU power of desktops into an iPad without increasing the thickness, overheating, or killing the battery in less than a day.

Why would they need to do that?

The future of computing is going back to the 1970s and using distributive computing....err...the cloud.

There is no need to run high powered apps locally when you can do it more efficiently on a back end.

Just look at OnLive, full resolution platform gaming on an iPad 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpFzpF0msrU
  • Reply 20 of 26
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Quote:

Unfortunately this is a direct quote from the report and it is incorrect, as you noted the graphs and the body of the report confirm that the Mac App store generates more revenue per app.