In-depth Review: Apple's iPad 2 running iOS 4.3

Comments

• Reply 121 of 221
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Someone made their weekend troll bonus. This thread was completely ruined by Sue Denim...

Yes it's up there with the greats, those of whom we shall not name. Note of course her extensive list of Apple products owned. That's always a dead giveaway.
  • Reply 122 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I'm an American half Asian, half Mutt from what my father says.

I don't like this either. I regret that it seems to be Asians that are doing this, but it's still a problem. I don't think it would be any different if it were, pardon my speech, 'white American looking people', that were buying iPad 2's and selling them on E- bay.

I do agree it should be 1 per person for now. Until they get enough of them out there.

Are you all able to distinguish if they are actual foreigners, or more recent immigrants, or more naturalised Americans? I think these are more of the distinguishing factors than just being Chinese, etc. For example, I'm betting it is most likely recent immigrants who would be able to bridge countries to facilitate transactions, while at the same time not be naturalised enough to get out of their "make a quick US buck" homegrown mentality. It could be outright foreigners but they'd have to mobilise a large network of people to pull off all the scalping, plus they'd have to actually be somehow living in New York.
  • Reply 123 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sue Denim View Post

Doesn't matter if you agree or not. But even though I want one (and will probably get one), some cons include:

4) lack of Flash (if you don't like it, turn it off. Some of us want it).

5) lack of integrated USB/Video or SD card (far more convenient way to transfer information without dragging around dongles)

6) lack of keyboard option (so far),

7) and so far, Apple seems to artificially be limiting availability. (No one seriously believes Apple couldn't offer better availability if they wanted, do they?)

Based on reviews, I'd also question Safari's performance (compared to Android's) - though I haven't found that to be a big limiter for myself.

Sounds like you're describing a laptop. Why not just get a 13" Macbook Pro or 11" Air and run their Mac App Store apps?
  • Reply 124 of 221
    Waiting for Xcode 4 to download here. I did my Hello World in Xcode 3, hopefully will try out more stuff soon. It's probably a good sign I'm more interested in that rather than a new iPad 2 at the moment. Let them eat scalp!
  • Reply 125 of 221
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yes it's up there with the greats, those of whom we shall not name. Note of course her extensive list of Apple products owned. That's always a dead giveaway.

The posting style tells me it?s a guy. The name Sue obviously comes from the pronunciation of pseudonym. I think it?s likely it one of the previous trolls under an alias they made last year. It does sound a lot like iGenius, though not as braindead as Teckstud and less rancorous than DaHarder. Regardless, I?d bet money it?s a guy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Waiting for Xcode 4 to download here. I did my Hello World in Xcode 3, hopefully will try out more stuff soon. It's probably a good sign I'm more interested in that rather than a new iPad 2 at the moment. Let them eat scalp!

I?m downloading Xcode 4 for Lion right now. I?ve never been one for coding but I?ve decided to go ahead and give it a shot this summer, but it looks I have more free time than I expected this Spring so I might just get started a little sooner.
  • Reply 126 of 221
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The posting style tells me it?s a guy. The name Sue obviously comes from the pronunciation of pseudonym. I think it?s likely it one of the previous trolls under an alias they made last year. It does sound a lot like iGenius, though not as braindead as Teckstud and less rancorous than DaHarder. Regardless, I?d bet money it?s a guy.

If I recall correctly, there was another SueDenim/Sue Denim/Sue_Denim that trolled several months ago, very pro-Flash/Adobe.
  • Reply 127 of 221
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

very pro-Flash/Adobe.

They must also be very pro-advertisements, as that is one of the main uses for Flash.

I disable Flash on all of my Macs, I don't like to be bombarded with crappy ads that I have no interest in seeing when visiting web sites. Disabling Flash also makes for a much smoother web experience, especially on mobile devices. Instead of Flash ads showing up, there's an empty grey box on my Macs instead, and often there's many of them on a single web page. That tells you how many crappy ads are out there.

15 million iPad 1's sold in 2010 is also proof that many people simply don't care about or want flash anymore.

The people who often complain the most about the iPad not having Flash are pro-Android people, and those people are cheapskates, as many apps in the Android market place are built around advertisements. They don't mind advertisements in their apps, as they don't like to spend any money. So I'm not surprised that they would be pro-Flash. There's not much else that they can criticize the iPad for, so Flash seems to be one of their last talking points.

Flash needs to die. In the meantime, millions and millions of people who do represent customers with a significant amount of purchasing power will simply ignore Flash until it does eventually die out.
  • Reply 128 of 221
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sue Denim View Post

Withdrawn, fell for this trolls comments. Added to ignore list
  • Reply 129 of 221
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    "The system also seems more likely to stop responding for a few moments, something I've never before witnessed in an iOS device."

You obviously haven't owned an iPhone 3G with iOS 4! Haha

Great review.
  • Reply 130 of 221
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They must also be very pro-advertisements, as that is one of the main uses for Flash.

I disable Flash on all of my Macs, I don't like to be bombarded with crappy ads that I have no interest in seeing when visiting web sites. Disabling Flash also makes for a much smoother web experience, especially on mobile devices. Instead of Flash ads showing up, there's an empty grey box on my Macs instead, and often there's many of them on a single web page. That tells you how many crappy ads are out there.

15 million iPad 1's sold in 2010 is also proof that many people simply don't care about or want flash anymore.

Actually, it's proof that 15 Million ipads were sold in 2010. Nothing more and nothing less.

Quote:

The people who often complain the most about the iPad not having Flash are pro-Android people, and those people are cheapskates, as many apps in the Android market place are built around advertisements. They don't mind advertisements in their apps, as they don't like to spend any money. So I'm not surprised that they would be pro-Flash. There's not much else that they can criticize the iPad for, so Flash seems to be one of their last talking points.

Logic fail on so many levels. For a start, there's a ton of apps shovelling ads your way on iOS as well. I guess that makes iOS users cheapskates too. It's obviously a model that works universally.

Quote:

Flash needs to die. In the meantime, millions and millions of people who do represent customers with a significant amount of purchasing power will simply ignore Flash until it does eventually die out.

What goes in its place? You know, for video or heavily interactive content? As it happens I disable flash too, primarily for the same reasons you do. Right now, there is no viable alternative. The fact that it's rubbish on mobile devices says nothing about how equally rubbish html5 + js is, and can be, in the same context. Complex content requires resources. There's no getting around that.
  • Reply 131 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Actually, it's proof that 15 Million ipads were sold in 2010. Nothing more and nothing less.

No, I'd say that it's proof that not having Flash in a tablet is not a big deal at all, since the facts are that the biggest selling and most popular tablet does not have flash. The overwhelming majority of people who bought tablets do not care at all about Flash, otherwise they wouldn't have bought an iPad if not having Flash was a big deal.

For the extremely small minority of people who do believe that Flash is important, they can go and buy a Xoom or some other tablet. And from what I've read Flash is pretty poor on those other tablets also. Most other people will continue to buy iPads.
  • Reply 132 of 221
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

It's a good question. I think Apple should build a small airport router/hard disk, sort of a "Time Capsule light" - with that, and a couple of management apps on the iPad, Apple could sell this bundle to those that don't want a computer.

My thoughts exactly. I think there should be three options:

1. Management components (for activation, sync and backup) and storage could reside on a local computer. Basically the current solution.

2. Management components and storage could be provided by the TimeCapsule-like device you suggested.

3. Management and storage could be provided as a cloud service. Additionally, the cloud data could be synched with local storage (solutions 1 and 2) automatically and transparently.
  • Reply 133 of 221
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You just said you could activate it on your PC but you choose not to. That's spiteful.

What the hell are you talking about? She lives on the other side of the country. Besides, I'm tech support for enough relations already. You just don't get it. You need a PC to set it up and that's a con.
  • Reply 134 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

iPad! Bah! I just filed my taxes using Free File Fillable Forms. It's all Flash based. Try doing that with an iPad.

People waiting in lines to get one of these things. Unbelievable. Just get a real Mac and be done with it.

Flash won't be around forever. Even Mozilla are now jumping on the bandwagon. And MS are getting behind HTML5.
  • Reply 135 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Scalpers exist because there's demand in China, period. There's a whole bunch of ultra-rich people in China that wants to play with the iPad2 right now, they don't want to wait, that's why they're willing to buy from the scalpers at inflated price. I don't see the point to complain about this huge demand of iPad2 from these Chinese people, they're also humans and they should also be allowed to buy iPad2, not to mention that it's actually Chinese workers who made most of them.

That's actually a very good point. Most Westerners have a sense of entitlement about everything.
  • Reply 136 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I'm an American half Asian, half Mutt from what my father says.

I don't like this either. I regret that it seems to be Asians that are doing this, but it's still a problem. I don't think it would be any different if it were, pardon my speech, 'white American looking people', that were buying iPad 2's and selling them on E- bay.

I do agree it should be 1 per person for now. Until they get enough of them out there.

The obvious way to avoid this is simultaneous international launch. There's no reason Apple shouldn't do it. A LOT of the scalped iPads are being sold in Hong Kong, for instance, and -- guess what -- Hong Kong isn't even on the list of countries for the first international launch! This is plain stupid, as I'm sure Hong Kong sells far more iPads than half the countries getting them earlier. You want to avoid scalpers, sell them here. That's all I'm saying.
  • Reply 137 of 221
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The obvious way to avoid this is simultaneous international launch. There's no reason Apple shouldn't do it. A LOT of the scalped iPads are being sold in Hong Kong, for instance, and -- guess what -- Hong Kong isn't even on the list of countries for the first international launch! This is plain stupid, as I'm sure Hong Kong sells far more iPads than half the countries getting them earlier. You want to avoid scalpers, sell them here. That's all I'm saying.

Oh, yes. Launching the iPad in 100 countries at the same time is definitely going to provide better availability than launching in a few countries at a time.

The obvious fact is that there aren't enough even for the U.S. at this point. How in the world do you think that launching in other countries would improve availability? Apple could only make so many - and has chosen a phased launch.

Even if they DID release it in every country simultaneously, it wouldn't prevent scalping. Do you really think that the bigwigs with lots of money would stand in line? Obviously not - they'd still buy one from a scalper.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

"Spiteful" is a very strange choice of words. So tell me then, what does my Aunt do when she gets her iPad (if she bought one), given that there is no Apple Store in my country, she doesn't have a PC or a Mac, and she lives the other side of the country to me? True story.

OK. There are 3 people on the planet who would like to buy an iPad but have no access to an Apple store or a PC. They can't have one until they make some friends.

It's silly to pick an incredibly rare situation that almost never occurs in the target market and use it as an attack on the product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

iPad! Bah! I just filed my taxes using Free File Fillable Forms. It's all Flash based. Try doing that with an iPad.

People waiting in lines to get one of these things. Unbelievable. Just get a real Mac and be done with it.

Obviously, you're another person who doesn't have any idea what the purpose of the iPad is.

Just because you can't use YOUR chosen software doesn't make the product bad. There are other ways to do your taxes besides Free File.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

I'm not saying Asians/Chinese are the only ones scalping, but see this video.

Perhaps Apple should limit 1 per customer and require in store activation or come up with better solutions to this if they can.

That's one of the few good ideas I've seen - at least the 1 per customer. I would agree completely with a 1 per customer limit while the product is in short supply. I don't like the in-store activation. That simply slows everything down and creates huge bottlenecks.
  • Reply 138 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's actually a very good point. Most Westerners have a sense of entitlement about everything.

Actually, I sympathise with the "Westerners". The rich Chinese in China that are buying it mostly don't even give a SH*T about what an iPad actually is, as long as they have "the latest and greatest Apple thing". In Asia Apple is all about status and "lifestyle" ie. needing to show you have money. Edit: to show that you are "making money". To show that you are rich enough to have the latest from wherever in the world without having to wait like the common peon.

I'd be annoyed if my local Apple Stores were just continually overrun by scalpers. I won't be getting my iPad 2 from the US though, I'll try to get mine from Australia, and yes, it could be from a "scalper" but I guess the consolation is he does about 15 units each weekly trip from Malaysia to Australia. He doesn't lead an army of hundreds scalping hundreds of units at a time... Actually, I don't know how many trips he is going to do for iPad 2. He mentions it can be quite tiring.

I mean some scalping will always happen but it sounds like the NYC situation is totally, absolutely out of control.
  • Reply 139 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Oh, yes. Launching the iPad in 100 countries at the same time is definitely going to provide better availability than launching in a few countries at a time. :roll eyes:

Of course, it's a totally ridiculous and deranged idea.

They can't even launch in 1 country properly right now, I'd hate to see what would happen if it were 100.

One other reason that some countries get theirs later is because I think that carrier agreements are not always in place in every country at the same time, and those countries will get theirs later.
  • Reply 140 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

I think the term "Post-PC Device" is being interpreted differently here than how Steve Jobs defined it.

Jobs referenced the term at the D5 Conference (where he shared the stage with Bill Gates) by identifying what he called a "category of devices" distinct from "general purpose PCs" that are "more focused on specific functions" like iPods, phones, and cameras.

Walt Mossberg drew his attention to the notion that these "Post-PC Devices" are just computers in a different form factor and Jobs' response was:
    "We're getting to the point where everything's a computer in a different form factor. So, so what? Right? So what if it's built with a computer inside it? It doesn't matter. It's, what is it? How do you use it? You know, how does the consumer approach it? And so, who cares what's inside it anymore?"
    Following his thinking about "Post-PC Devices", one could also make the argument that it doesn't matter what they connect or sync to, or how, or how often, or even why. It's how we use these things. As Jobs noted, the PC as a general purpose device will "continue to be with us and morph with us" as a digital hub of various sorts and in evolving form factors, but Post-PC Devices have tended to be more specialized, and what we could do with them, up to now, has been decidedly different.

Jobs and Gates at D5 went on to predict that these devices will become more and more powerful and capable, and this has certainly come to pass. Tasks that were once restricted to PCs is now possible on Post-PC Devices, but many of the legacy user functions and responsibilities are gone. Complicated input methods and file management are absent (or virtually so) on these devices.

Perhaps more importantly, the proliferation of multitouch is changing the way we interact with our data, allowing us to physically manipulate it with our fingers. Our usage of these devices is so intuitive and natural (and becoming increasingly more so) that we can use them almost without thinking about it. Long-standing traditional computer interaction is now, by contrast, revealed to be intrusive and even obstructive.

For Jobs, the term "Post-PC Device" is more about the "experience" of using these devices, rather than how technologically dependent they are on PCs.

Excellent post!

I would add that, in a "Post-PC Device", the role of the OS changes -- rather than an active-participant/control-center, the OS becomes invisible!