Apple has have enough iPad 2 components to maintain production for 2-3 weeks

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike052011 View Post

It seems to be more like 5- 7 weeks!

Only 5 business days have passed since the iPad was launched. Isn't it a little early to complain about your quoted 5-7 business day estimate?
  • Reply 82 of 96
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I don't know if anyone has noticed - Apple has consistently had the same lead time on ALL the different iPads. That suggests a very flexible production system where the factories are able to make exactly the product ordered with little changeover time or cost. All that seems to matter is the total number of iPads ordered, not the specific model.

For anyone who has made a career out of manufacturing, that's pretty impressive.
  • Reply 83 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't know if anyone has noticed - Apple has consistently had the same lead time on ALL the different iPads. That suggests a very flexible production system where the factories are able to make exactly the product ordered with little changeover time or cost. All that seems to matter is the total number of iPads ordered, not the specific model.

For anyone who has made a career out of manufacturing, that's pretty impressive.

That's one possibility. Another is that they simply adjust the shipping times to match the worst model (in terms of availability) and then plan to overdeliver on the rest. That way they avoid massive shifts in what the public is ordering which would cause problems. I think this is what's happening. There's little reason for them not to do it this way, at least as long as there are long delays on everything. Once they have sufficient supply of a model to have no delays, then I bet the shipping information gets more accurate.
  • Reply 84 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That seems like a philosophy purely designed to ensure that you don't get to do a lot of awesome things over the cost of a couple bucks. Everyone has to make their own financial decisions, but say the concert of your life was put on sale for just too cheap, meaning that it sold out in 2 minutes online. That $100 might be found only for $150 online. Are you really going to miss the best concert ever for $50?

Right now there are a few iPad 2 16gb WiFi version about to close at 866.00. I have both the iPad 1 and iPad2 and there isn't anything that awesome where someone can't wait a few weeks.

To pay 866.00 for the lowest model iPad is a perfect example have having more money then brains.
  • Reply 85 of 96
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

So am I be!

So, is you is or is you isn't?
  • Reply 86 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Right now there are a few iPad 2 16gb WiFi version about to close at 866.00. I have both the iPad 1 and iPad2 and there isn't anything that awesome where someone can't wait a few weeks.

To pay 866.00 for the lowest model iPad is a perfect example have having more money then brains.

Either that, or their time is more valuable than a couple hundred dollars. Your worldview does not allow for people who are willing to pay more for the best service.

Here's an example - a few years ago I was trying to get my college friends back together for a vacation. One of us, who is sort of the "lynchpin" of the group, has less money and was not going to be able to go. I told her I'd throw in $300 for her part of the trip if that would help, and she came along and we all had a blast. The way I looked at it - I'm going to enjoy myself enough that paying an extra $300 is no big deal. Similarly, say someone is planning a 2 week trip in April, and wants to have an iPad. If money is not an issue for them, you could certainly imagine someone paying a bit extra to buy one now, rather than having to lug around a laptop on the trip instead. Right?

It's not always a question of brains. If a product is worth $800 to you, and you can't buy it for $500 despite the retail price, then you buy it for $800. No biggie (for a lot of people).

I certainly wouldn't pay $800 for the $500 iPad, but I know a lot of people who went out and bought the 64GB 3G iPad and have no CLUE what 64GB is (and will never fill more than 4 GB) and don't ever use it on 3G. I'm an IT consultant in DC, so that's why I have contact with so many buyers.
  • Reply 87 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

When did buying two iPads become illegal? When did reselling your own private property become illegal? What criminal activities did they engage in? Absolutely none that I can see. In fact, they're engaging in classic capitalism.

We may think it's unfair that people buy iPads simply to resell them, but unless Apple wants to put tighter controls on selling (one to a customer, credit card and ID required, central database of all purchasers), that's how it's going to be.

Hi all:

First of all SCALPING is wrong no matter who is doing it. The reason it is illegal in this country is because the the money earned over the price the scalper paid for the item is not taxed. I think they should be found and arrested and thier stock of ipad2 s taken from them and sold to the public. You say this is wrong when you buy a ipad 2 from a scalper you are just as wrong as he is and you are supporting crime and tax evaison in this country. I waited in ln line for 12 hours for mine and the Apple person came to me and asked how many I wanted to buy I said just one, I could of had two but I did the right thing and just bought 1. So in all this FLAMMING war yall have started, just remember they will sooner or later have to answer for thier sins and greed, It is not up to us to be thier judge and jury , just make sure you do the right thing and all things will fit in place.

Don
  • Reply 88 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davis0042 View Post

The reason it is illegal in this country is because the the money earned over the price the scalper paid for the item is not taxed.

Ha! So it's illegal because it's not taxed. Are you sure you have the chicken and the egg problem sorted out? Maybe it's not taxed because it's not legal?

Tips earned by waitresses are not taxed either, the waitress must report the income at the end of the year honestly, but the numbers are not tracked. So how is that different from the money that the scalper EARNS and can then report as income at the end of the year?
  • Reply 89 of 96
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I'l I'm not suffering at all for not getting an iPad 2 on the day it was released. Another month or so won't matter at all.

Agreed .

If some people want it so F,,ing bad then pay 1100 bucks and buy one . Its not a one time Hendrix show is it now ???

At sone point with hundreds of million of profit dollars available in a very down market > hundreds of suppliers will step and and fill any voids.

The over the top screaming mimi's here make me laff . 14 months ago the IPAD DID NOT YET EXIST, and today we act like it was shipped along with LISA11.

peace

• Reply 90 of 96
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Steve Jobs is amazing. Imagine if he decided to go with Retina Displays for the iPad2. Then we'd (well, Apple) would really be royally f*ed. Not saying necessarily he predicted this stuff, but he definitely thought long and hard about all kinds of supply chain scenarios. I'm strongly guessing China alone would not be able to produce iPad2 Retina Displays without *some* kind of supply/assistance/tech/whatever from Japan, South Korea, etc. It might have been the most difficult-to-obtain part of the iPad 2, even if nothing happened to Japan.

Bottom line: the Japan stuff will take a few months to sort out, short of something really bad happening (which I don't think will happen)... In the meantime global components will impinge on the already globally insane iPad 2 demand.

Bottom line part 2: It will be a nice 2 month honeymoon for the scalpers and 2 months of hell for everyone else. Here's a hint: get in on the very 1st batch launch during an official launch in a country, and you're in. Miss out on the 1st batch and be subjected to the horrendous drip-feed of "maybe-yes, maybe-no"...
  • Reply 91 of 96
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Only 5 business days have passed since the iPad was launched. Isn't it a little early to complain about your quoted 5-7 business day estimate?

That's amazing. 5 business days. It already seems like we've all been waiting for 3 weeks. I'm not being facetious here, it really does.
  • Reply 92 of 96
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

If some people want it so F,,ing bad then pay 1100 bucks and buy one . Its not a one time Hendrix show is it now ???

[threadjack]

There were no "one time" Hendrix shows. Until his untimely death in 1970, Jimi Hendrix toured almost non-stop. Anyone who wanted to see him back-in-the-day didn't have to try very hard to make that happen.

[/threadjack]
  • Reply 93 of 96
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It has a camera, more memory, faster processor, a little lighter & thinner, the screen is a bit better, and can run iMovie. What else?

I have an iPad 1 which I put up for sale on Craigslist a week before the launch and have yet to receive even a single inquiry despite pricing it $10 less than any other listing of comparable model. It might be worth a couple hundred dollars out of pocket to be able to upgrade to iPad 2, but none of the feature advantages I noted above are really that much of a must have for me.
  • Reply 94 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It has a camera, more memory, faster processor, a little lighter & thinner, the screen is a bit better, and can run iMovie. What else?

I have an iPad 1 which I put up for sale on Craigslist a week before the launch and have yet to receive even a single inquiry despite pricing it $10 less than any other listing of comparable model. It might be worth a couple hundred dollars out of pocket to be able to upgrade to iPad 2, but none of the feature advantages I noted above are really that much of a must have for me.

What exactly did you price it, and what model is it? I sold my 32 GB wifi model, with the Apple folding case, for $450.

Just pricing it $10 less than the competition doesn't mean that you priced it fairly. You waited too long to expect to get close to the original price. Given that you can now get the ATT model of the iPad1 for $200 less than retail, you're stuck.
  • Reply 95 of 96
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

What exactly did you price it, and what model is it? I sold my 32 GB wifi model, with the Apple folding case, for $450.

Just pricing it $10 less than the competition doesn't mean that you priced it fairly. You waited too long to expect to get close to the original price. Given that you can now get the ATT model of the iPad1 for $200 less than retail, you're stuck.

I have the 16 GB 3G with Apple case and all original packaging listed for $420. At this point on Craig's, all of the newer listings are swamped with iPad2 scalpers. My listing is like on page 20 so no one is seeing it now. I'm ok with keeping it, I guess.

My original question is still what must have features are there to make iPad 1 owners upgrade? I certainly don't see any. Sure it is a nice upgrade and all, but in normal daily use is there really that much difference? I'm not a heavy iPad user anyway since I have 3 other Macs and an iPhone.
  • Reply 96 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have the 16 GB 3G with Apple case and all original packaging listed for $420. At this point on Craig's, all of the newer listings are swamped with iPad2 scalpers. My listing is like on page 20 so no one is seeing it now. I'm ok with keeping it, I guess.

My original question is still what must have features are there to make iPad 1 owners upgrade? I certainly don't see any. Sure it is a nice upgrade and all, but in normal daily use is there really that much difference? I'm not a heavy iPad user anyway since I have 3 other Macs and an iPhone.

No one can answer that for you. Since the iPad is generally a luxury device, the very question doesn't make sense. There are no reasons why you need an iPad, nor an iPad2. If you feel like thinner, lighter, faster, cameras and of course the benefit of an extra year of good performance at the end of the life cycle (future OS upgrades slow the device down eventually) is worth the $200-300 net you'd have to pay, get it. Those are the features, the value that you place on them is yours alone. I was happy to pay a net of $100 for my new 16 GB Black Wifi model (sold the 32 GB, so it's not apples to apples) but you might not be. I'm sure Apple will find a buyer for the one they made for you

Kinda wishing I ordered the white one though. Don't know what I'm going to do about that.

Oh and yeah, your pricing is waaaay to high. You can buy that exact model from ATT right now for $429! Why would anyone buy yours for a $10 discount, and lose all the benefits of having an unused model? That's why you should have sold it a couple months ago if you wanted that kind of price. CL is a great market. If you get no bites, it means your price is ridiculous.