AirPlay iOS to AirPort Express?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Anyone heard anything new about the possibility of streaming audio from the iPod app to an AirPort Express? Seems like a simple feature to implement if they wanted to. I just saw the article on iOS 4.3, but no mention of the feature that I thought AirPlay was all about...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkfeend View Post

Anyone heard anything new about the possibility of streaming audio from the iPod app to an AirPort Express? Seems like a simple feature to implement if they wanted to. I just saw the article on iOS 4.3, but no mention of the feature that I thought AirPlay was all about...

It's currently there. On both my Touch and iPad I can use AirPlay to send audio to my AirPort Express speakers.

After making the above statement I have to say that when you first posted this I doubled checked on my iPad before replying and I did not have AirPlay. This surprised me as I had previously confirmed that AirPlay was working on both of my devices. Thinking that my memory failed me I chose to say nothing. However I checked again when I physically moved to another network and found AirPlay was fully active on my iPad. AirPlay is still working (though it appears that I am limited to only 3 AirPlay devices) now that I am back at my original network. All I can say at this time is that there is something flakey with AirPlay discovery.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    My iPhone never saw my Airport Express before, but now with 4.3 I'm rockin' and rollin'!

The documentation for 4.2 that I saw only ever mentioned ATV. Streaming from apps is awsome! Unfortunately, you can only use one output at a time... no multiple speakers on my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    brawnrbrawnr Posts: 11member
    Hi - can someone please confirm that you are able to play music directly from your iOS device to speakers connected to an AirPort Express, WITHOUT your PC/MAC being switched on?

I asked the same question in an Apple Store today and they said you must have the computer on with iTunes running for this to work.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Yes you can go directly from your IOS device to an AirPort Express. The people at the Apple Store might have been thinking iTunes Home Sharing. For that you need iTunes up and running on your Mac or PC.

There are at least three ways to use you IOS device to get audio to the AirPort Express.

1. AirPlay - From the iPod App (or any App that supports AirPlay) select your AirPort express and the audio will be routed from the IOS device to the AirPort Express.

2. iTunes Home Sharing - In the iPod or Videos App select your Mac/PC iTunes Library from Home Sharing to select something not stored on you IOS device. The IOS device will stream from your iTunes Library and you can then send the audio on to your AirPort Express as in #1 above.

3. Remotely controlling iTunes - Using the Remote App you can control your Mac/PC iTunes from your IOS device. From there you can direct that iTunes send the music to the AirPort Express.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    brawnrbrawnr Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Yes you can go directly from your IOS device to an AirPort Express. The people at the Apple Store might have been thinking iTunes Home Sharing. For that you need iTunes up and running on your Mac or PC.

There are at least three ways to use you IOS device to get audio to the AirPort Express.

1. AirPlay - From the iPod App (or any App that supports AirPlay) select your AirPort express and the audio will be routed from the IOS device to the AirPort Express.

2. iTunes Home Sharing - In the iPod or Videos App select your Mac/PC iTunes Library from Home Sharing to select something not stored on you IOS device. The IOS device will stream from your iTunes Library and you can then send the audio on to your AirPort Express as in #1 above.

3. Remotely controlling iTunes - Using the Remote App you can control your Mac/PC iTunes from your IOS device. From there you can direct that iTunes send the music to the AirPort Express.

Excellent, thank you for the detailed response!

I'm going to order an AirPort Express now. The WiFi range extension will be useful too.