Speculation that Apple designer Jony Ive leaving to UK said to be false

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new profile of Apple's design chief Jony Ive pours cold water on rumors that the U.K. native plans to leave his job to move back to his home country.

Ive was profiled in a piece by the Daily Mail, in a story that features comments from friends and former colleagues. The 44-year-old Essex-born designer was recently rumored to be planning to cash in some $30 million stock options and to move back to the U.K.

But a former colleague of Ive's reportedly indicated that those rumors are "false."

"I'm not sure there is any truth he wants to come back," they said. "My last conversations with him were that he was planning to sell his house in the U.K."

In February, the Times of London reported that Apple gave Ive a "golden handcuffs" option grant in 2008. Since then, the amount had reportedly grown so much that Ive's profits could reach $30 million.

That report claimed that Ive and Apple were "at loggerheads" over the distance from his $4 million home in Somerset, U.K., to Apple's Cupertino, Calif., campus.

But this week's profile by the Daily Mail aims to dispel that rumor, noting that his home in Somerset is now empty. It also revealed that he will receive £15 million in Apple shares next year alone.

Those who commented for the story also lamented that Britain "lost" Ive, one of its greatest talents, to the U.S. Sir James Dyson, famed inventor of the Dual Cyclone bagless vacuum cleaner, said he wished Britain could keep the "brilliant minds" it has created.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    Given that this was in the Daily Mail, the likelihood of any or all of it being completely fabricated and / or inaccurate is extremely high. The Daily Mail is great if you want to look at paparazzi shots of z-listers in bikinis. For factual content you'll have better luck with a comic.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ive was profiled in a piece by the Daily Mail

That's all I needed to know when the original story broke to know that this was false. I can't believe something in England's equivalent of The National Enquirer got so much play around the internet. It must have been a slow news day that day or something.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Good. Though I can't say the story was that plausible to begin with.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

A new profile of Apple's design chief Jony Ive pours cold water on rumors that the U.K. native plans to leave his job to move back to his home country.

Ive was profiled in a piece by the Daily Mail, in a story that features comments from friends and former colleagues. The 44-year-old Essex-born designer was recently rumored to be planning to cash in some $30 million stock options and to move back to the U.K.

But a former colleague of Ive's reportedly indicated that those rumors are "false."

"I'm not sure there is any truth he wants to come back," they said. "My last conversations with him were that he was planning to sell his house in the U.K."

In February, the Times of London reported that Apple gave Ive a "golden handcuffs" option grant in 2008. Since then, the amount had reportedly grown so much that Ive's profits could reach $30 million.

That report claimed that Ive and Apple were "at loggerheads" over the distance from his $4 million home in Somerset, U.K., to Apple's Cupertino, Calif., campus.

But this week's profile by the Daily Mail aims to dispel that rumor, noting that his home in Somerset is now empty. It also revealed that he will receive £15 million in Apple shares next year alone.

Those who commented for the story also lamented that Britain "lost" Ive, one of its greatest talents, to the U.S. Sir James Dyson, famed inventor of the Dual Cyclone bagless vacuum cleaner, said he wished Britain could keep the "brilliant minds" it has created.

Could have been a PR stunt.He is a brilliant designer.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Could have been a PR stunt.He is a brilliant designer.

Thx for quoting the whole article. What if it was 187 paragraph long?
  • Reply 6 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Has it occurred to James Dyson that had Ive not moved to America he might never have been heard of? James should flip open his MacBook Pro and be grateful events turned out as they did and go back to designing vacuum cleaners and be happy.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    The Daily Mail is the UK's equivalent of Fox News, actually, it's probably even more right wing. They're highly racist, homophobic, pro-hard line christian, and also bizarrely, obsessed with celebrity gossip. They famously supported the nazis in the run up to world war 2, and frankly haven't changed much since.

They rarely report anything without a large proportion of it being made up, embellished, or half reported for bias.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The Daily Mail is the UK's equivalent of Fox News, actually, it's probably even more right wing. They're highly racist, homophobic, pro-hard line christian, and also bizarrely, obsessed with celebrity gossip. They famously supported the nazis in the run up to world war 2, and frankly haven't changed much since.

They rarely report anything without a large proportion of it being made up, embellished, or half reported for bias.

I always thought that was the Mirror. Oh wait, you didn't mention alien abductions.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Well, hold on a minute, guys.

The Daily Mail is the publication that created this debunking report, not the publication that published the original rumor!

The original rumor, however, strikes me as bizarre. I'm sure there are many quality private school options in the Bay Area that would serve his kids just fine. And when you see his passion for designing Apple products, I would be shocked if he really wanted to leave the company.

Jony Ive will never be Apple CEO. Not because people don't want to give him the job, but because he is a designer and wants to do design. The niggly details of running a multi-billion dollar company are best left to Tim Cook, who is a world-class expert at them. Now, he may become more of the public face of Apple, and in fact he is slipping into that role now.

I do wonder why he has a nicer house in the UK than the USA, however. That must be how the rumor got started. Maybe Steve should take him house hunting. Never a better time to buy than after a real estate market crash.

D
  • Reply 10 of 41
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    Quote:

The Daily Mail are just like most news organisations today. Their "journalists" work to a set of ideals that guides them in producing stories that meet editorial requirements. If you want your work to be published, and you want to keep getting your pay cheque (or bank deposit nowadays), you do as you are told.

It's easy to bash Murdoch's empire and the likes of The Daily Mail and The Torygraph. But then we have equally biased reporting from the other side with the likes of the BBC/Guardian and Daily Mirror spinning for the left. It's a hopeless situation.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the world is in such a mess, while journalistic standards sit at this all-time low.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Quote:

I always find it funny when people throw about the term 'homophobic' willy-nilly.

Show me one person who actually fears a homosexual.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I doubt this happened, but Ive is popular enough that he could have leaked info in order to passive-aggressively get his bosses at Apple rethink how much they are paying him. They call for a sit down, he says he’s not planning to leave but that he would like more money/stocks.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Who started this rumor in the first place?
  • Reply 14 of 41
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Has it occurred to James Dyson that had Ive not moved to America he might never have been heard of? James should flip open his MacBook Pro and be grateful events turned out as they did and go back to designing vacuum cleaners and be happy.

Dyson was lamenting that the UK's business environment doesn't support innovators as much as he'd like it to.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I always find it funny when people throw about the term 'homophobic' willy-nilly.

Show me one person who actually fears a homosexual.

Melanie Phillips. Jan Moir. You can trawl the site for their articles yourself, I'm not going to give them any hits.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    who the hell comes up with this kind of rubbish to begin with?
  • Reply 17 of 41
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

The Daily Mail are just like most news organisations today. Their "journalists" work to a set of ideals that guides them in producing stories that meet editorial requirements. If you want your work to be published, and you want to keep getting your pay cheque (or bank deposit nowadays), you do as you are told.

It's easy to bash Murdoch's empire and the likes of The Daily Mail and The Torygraph. But then we have equally biased reporting from the other side with the likes of the BBC/Guardian and Daily Mirror spinning for the left. It's a hopeless situation.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the world is in such a mess, while journalistic standards sit at this all-time low.

Really? I always considered the BBC and the Guardian to be very center. Liberal in their world views perhaps (except for the Mirror), but hardly 'spinning for the left'.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I doubt this happened, but Ive is popular enough that he could have leaked info in order to passive-aggressively get his bosses at Apple rethink how much they are paying him. They call for a sit down, he says he’s not planning to leave but that he would like more money/stocks.

Could have, but like you, I doubt it. I think Apple know what they have and make sure the man is very happy. Paying him well would hardly be an issue. A real issue for any designer, however, could be boredom. Who knows, maybe JI would enjoy a new challenge. A vacuum cleaner, perhaps? (designing one, that is)
  • Reply 19 of 41
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    < A real issue for any designer, however, could be boredom.>

how about a pied a terre in nyc (manhattan)

he surely wouldn't be bored with all that california drivel and with all his money he could commute whenever he felt bored.

nyc is definitly not a boring place unless you don't have enough money.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:

Mind you we did give them Beckham, so that evens things up intellectual wise.