Apple rumored to issue iOS 4.3.1 with security, bug fixes within two weeks

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is expected to release a minor update to its mobile operating system for the iPhone and iPad, iOS 4.3.1, in the next few weeks to address bugs and plug security holes, according to a new rumor.

According to Boy Genius Report, the anticipated software update will arrive within one to two weeks. iOS 4.3.1 is said to contain "minor bug fixes," including a fix for a vulnerability that allowed hackers to jailbreak the newly released iPad 2.

The update is also said to include baseband updates for the iPhone 3GS and original iPad with 3G. It will also reportedly fix an issue with the iOS Springboard and third-party applications not recognizing the gyroscope on the iPad 2.

The anticipated update is also said to address a problem that would cause memory corruption when reading large files from USIM filesystem. iOS 4.3.1 is also said to fix a problem with NTLM authentication in applications and on websites.

Boy Genius Report has, in the past, correctly pinpointed the release of iOS updates through its sources at wireless carriers. Earlier this month, the site did correctly indicate that iOS 4.3 would see an early release, though it was incorrectly off by one day in its "exclusive" report.

News of an anticipated 4.3.1 update for iOS came earlier this month, when security researcher Charlie Miller revealed that Apple has a fix in the works for a flaw in its Safari mobile Web browser. Miller exposed the flaw at the Pwn2Own hacking contest, and privately shared the exploit with Apple to help the company patch its software.

iOS 4.3 was released just weeks ago, and includes faster JavaScript performance in the mobile Safari Web browser. It also brought new features like Personal Hotspot for tethering a 3G data connection over Wi-Fi, iTunes Home Sharing for streaming content wirelessly over a home network, and support for AirPlay in third-party applications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Ah ha, this will unlock the AWS band now that AT&T is buying T-Mobile. You saw it here first. It's been a consipracy for awhile now.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Is anyone else getting adult popups from AI?

I've tried it from a few different machines on a few different networks (including simply telnetting to port 80) and each time there is a hidden iframe linking to adult-photos.tk .
  • Reply 3 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Ah ha, this will unlock the AWS band now that AT&T is buying T-Mobile. You saw it here first. It's been a consipracy for awhile now.

There is no AWS band HW in any Apple product. We?d have known when the FCC data was released.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Any word on battery life?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is no AWS band HW in any Apple product. We?d have known when the FCC data was released.

lol....I wasn't serious.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Will this be released for the Verizon iPhones as well?

I want the new faster Safari browser on my phone.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    maguromaguro Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow415 View Post

Yes, but didn't click.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maguro View Post

Yes, but didn't click.

Yeah, me too. It sucks...
  • Reply 9 of 33
    gmanmacgmanmac Posts: 40member
    What about support for 3G phone users? Still left with a big unpatched security hole.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    The question is...

On 4.3.1 can you use the iPad 2 (3G) as a personal hot-spot for you iPod Touch when you're not in WiFi range?

-IQ78
  • Reply 11 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GmanMac View Post

What about support for 3G phone users? Still left with a big unpatched security hole.

Seriously my 3G is suffering from greatly reduced battery life thus I'm seriously thinking about an update. I'd like to be able to update the software but have serious reservations about it even working correctly. The problem is that I suspect that the latest version of Safari would use even more RAM.

So while I share your frustration I'm to the point where I think the 3G is pretty obsolete.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    hdtveehdtvee Posts: 6member
    I have had issues with shortened battery life as well.

More importantly, since I updated, I have an increase in dropped calls and my indicator going from 3G to E on my Iphone 4.

Also when I open up to text or look at my existing texts I get an intermittent message that the phone is unable to connect to cellular network and my indicator says E. That never happened before.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When did facts ever get in the way of a conspiracy theory?
  • Reply 14 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maguro View Post

Yes, but didn't click.

answered wrong post sorry ...
  • Reply 15 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

I've tried it from a few different machines on a few different networks (including simply telnetting to port 80) and each time there is a hidden iframe linking to adult-photos.tk .

I'm not I wonder why some are? I have block on popups, clicktoflash and Little Snitch if that helps.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm not I wonder why some are? I have block on popups, clicktoflash and Little Snitch if that helps.

I was, but it stopped.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    The article states that the 3GS will see a baseband improvement. Does baseband mean actual phone use? My 3GS used to never drop calls, or sound lousy when making calls. I've noticed more and more that phone calls on my 3GS aren't what they used to be. Anyone know if baseband improvements will help with actual phone calls?
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

I haven't noticed any.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Odd that more than one person is affected, I'm not. Usually the scenario is a Javascript setTimeOut() function that is triggered on an onUnload event from a website that you were previous visiting. That technique makes people believe the offender is the site that they are currently viewing when actually it is a site that you visited earlier - even quite a bit earlier, depending on how long they set the time out for.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Battery drain. Same issue here. Markedly faster battery drain since updating to 4.3 from 4.2.1. I'd estimate in the area of 50% faster battery drain which is huge. And yes, I've rebooted the phone - everything short of restoring it.