Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.7

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The seventh free update to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is now available through Software Update, offering a variety of bug fixes and security enhancements.

Apple notes that the new 10.6.7 release includes "general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac," including adjustments that improve the reliability of Back to My Mac, resolves issues when transferring files to SMB Windows Files Sharing servers, and addresses Mac App Store bugs.

A special build for the new early 2011 Thunderbolt MacBook Pros, which shipped with "Mac OS X 10.6.6" but using a special build supporting their unique hardware, also "addresses minor FaceTime performance issues" and is reported to "improve graphics stability and external display compatibility."

Following the release of the new models, some users complained of external display flickering, temporary blanking, and occasionally a full system crash that appeared to be related to using external displays through the Mini DisplayPort-compatitible Thunderbolt port.

After applying the two separate updates, Macs prior to the Thunderbolt MacBook Pros report having build 10J869, while the new notebooks report build 10J3250.

Security enhancements included in Mac OS X 10.6.7 are also available for Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 systems through a parallel Security Update 2011-001 through Software Update.

Mac OS X 10.6.7 for most Snow Leopard Macs:

Mac OS X 10.6.7 for Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Pros:

Among the security patches included in the release are updates for AirPort WiFi networking, vulnerabilities in the Apache web server, fixes pertaining to AppleScript, three patches the improve Apple Type Server, improvements to bzip2 file compression, the CarbonCore API, CoreText, virus scanning in ClamAV used by Mac OS X Server, and a new definition for OSX.OpinionSpy malware that will enable automatic file quarantine.

Apple has also patched security flaws in HFS and in ImageIO and Image RAW file handling. Other security enhancements target the Installer, Kerberos cryptographic issues, kernel security, Libinfo, libxml, Mailman, PHP, Microsoft Office QuickLook issues, and five issues related to QuickTime. The update also rolls in patches for Ruby, Samba, Subversion, Terminal and X11.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Any link to the combo updater ?
  • Reply 2 of 92
    you know the whole "macs don't get viruses" theory? its a bunch of bunk, or security updates wouldn't be needed. However, because apple releases semi-regular security updates (thank god, so much easier than MS updater) like this, Mac viruses are hardly seen. or they get hit with an apple update before long.

Steve Jobs wields the apple gun. Virus zombies watch out.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    feels snappier
  • Reply 4 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aquajets1 View Post

you know the whole "macs don't get viruses" theory? its a bunch of bunk, or security updates wouldn't be needed.

Quote:

However, because apple releases semi-regular security updates (thank god, so much easier than MS updater) like this, Mac viruses are hardly seen.

So where are they all, then?
  • Reply 5 of 92
    rjbrucerjbruce Posts: 45member
    Hope it fixes my home share problems.
  • Reply 6 of 92
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    I had a smooth install on my iMac 7,1 C2D. No apparent problems yet.

Downloaded GLViewer. Result for OpenGL 3.0 is still 95%, with Shader Language 1.3 the only uncompleted portion. That was what I was expecting.

My system is fairly plain vanilla. I am careful when adding third-party software.
  • Reply 7 of 92
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Hope it fixes the Calculator! Snappier is a given though.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

Any link to the combo updater ?

Here it is :

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1361

Wiil install it later today...
  • Reply 9 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So where are they all, then?

said the west coast American when he heard about the Japanese earthquakes...

It is a combination of factors, but none so great that attacks cannot happen. A humble quietness serves us all better.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

It is a combination of factors, but none so great that attacks cannot happen.

Attacks (and attack vectors) are not viruses. Come on!
  • Reply 11 of 92
    njmaxnjmax Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

feels snappier

Awesome...I was hoping more snappiness would be included.
  • Reply 12 of 92
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    New improved Joker products!

• Reply 13 of 92
    Can somebody explain the logic of combining a display port with a storage port? Seems like a big (and illogical) jump to me.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    n42n42 Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Can somebody explain the logic of combining a display port with a storage port? Seems like a big (and illogical) jump to me.

Universal peripheral port. One plug to rule them all. How does that not make sense?
  • Reply 15 of 92
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

If the port can handle the bandwidth and it's a standard then it actually makes a lot of sense. This is especially nice for devices with limited real estate for ports like the Macbook Air.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Well, unless you work with an external display on a regular basis, most people's external display port sits unused for months, perhaps even years. May as well use it for something else.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

said the west coast American when he heard about the Japanese earthquakes...

That implies a willful ignorance of their existence.

I imply a lack of existence entirely. Because it's true.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    Quote:

I would say that within 12-24 months it will appear quite obvious and you will be thanking the guys who bought this to market. Once more vendors come on board it wont seem "illogical" in the slightest, in fact every other connection we have to deal with will become illogical.
  • Reply 19 of 92
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Isn't it all just data? What difference should it make if that data is going to a display or a printer or a magnetic platter?

And far from illogical. If you have a laptop and at home you have your external display, speakers, TimeMachine backup disk, printer, etc, you just plug in a single cable (well, two if you count power) and your laptop it "docked" with your desktop setup.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:

I will try. A daisy chain can be attached to the Thunderbolt port, which in turn, ties into a specialized Thunderbolt chip, which connects as a PCIe to the system board. Each device on the daisy chain contains a specialized Thunderbolt chip for that device, which translates the data stream as needed for that device.

If you have a storage device in the daisy chain, it will have an input and an output (for devices further down the chain for a maximum of six devices). There are a number of restrictions, such as the display being the last device on the chain.

Thunderbolt keeps storage data and display data separate on the 2 available channels of Thunderbolt. No need for USB, Firewire, or mini-DisplayPort on the daisy chain; it is handled at a very fast speed on Thunderbolt. I would guess that eventually those other ports will fade out on Macs, and maybe other Apple products.

http://www.mac-thunderbolt.com/lightpeak/tbolt-faq.html