Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.7

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    safari is a dog these days, hope the ve fixed it.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    Installed it and it runs pretty good here...
  • Reply 23 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

safari is a dog these days, hope the ve fixed it.

or ... you could just remember to clear your cache once in a while.
  • Reply 24 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aquajets1 View Post

you know the whole "macs don't get viruses" theory? its a bunch of bunk, or security updates wouldn't be needed. However, because apple releases semi-regular security updates (thank god, so much easier than MS updater) like this, Mac viruses are hardly seen. or they get hit with an apple update before long.

Steve Jobs wields the apple gun. Virus zombies watch out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy
  • Reply 25 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Can somebody explain the logic of combining a display port with a storage port? Seems like a big (and illogical) jump to me.

It makes perfect sense.Look at the Apple LED Display. It has a power cable, USB cable and min-DisplayPort cable. Now look at it sans the USB cable. You save the USB port plug-in on the MBP and you can still have a USB3.0 hub on the back of a monitor. On top of that you can still push audio, mic, FireWire, and any other protocol one might need on a monitor.

Of course, only a small percentage are using external monitors for their notebooks so why should we care about them? You still need to include it for the few that do, but if you make it work for multiple things you keep it more useful to more people. Now think of a future with aThunderbolt port on each side of a MBP after the case design refresh that loses the mostly used ODD*.

Now switch gears a little and remember that Thunderbolt as LightPeak started out as optical. It?s faster but it offers no power. Now remember that Apple has a patent for an optical connector in the middle of a MagSafe connector. This now brings an external display down one single cable off an Apple LED Display that supplies power to a MBP and all data protocols one might need over a 100GB+ optical connection. Apple?s solution for the docking station is to make it unnecessary.

* Apple might not be able to keep the Ethernet port either. It?s the largest port left and it?s holding up Apple?s push for thinness** as much as the ODD. They might just sell an 1Gbps Ethernet to Thunderbolt dongle for those that need it. I?d say this depends on the number of consumer users that they think still need an Ethernet wired adapter for their network, but I think the end result is more like what they did with DVI users when they moved to the mini-DVI and micro-DVI

?? Don?t say that if you want a thin computer with no ODD you should get a MBA. I?m talking about a machine with a 35W CPU and good notebook capacity with no relative difference in performance or capacity for the price
  • Reply 26 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Can somebody explain the logic of combining a display port with a storage port? Seems like a big (and illogical) jump to me.

Kinda like how TV and Internet both come over CableTV. Read about it on wiki.
  • Reply 27 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

or ... you could just remember to clear your cache once in a while.

maybe it should do it by itself...
  • Reply 28 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

New improved Joker products!

Seeing that you're "IT Support", you know better.
  • Reply 29 of 92
    rjbrucerjbruce Posts: 45member
    Not sure if anyone else has checked but looks like my 2011 MBP home share works now, at least with my ATV2.
  • Reply 30 of 92
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Seeing that you're "IT Support", you know better.

Tongue in cheek....
  • Reply 31 of 92
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Added to my ignore list, never posts anything worth reading.
  • Reply 32 of 92
    My 2008 Macbook Pro has a dim screen after the update. Still displays fine to external 24" Cinema Display. I can't be sure it was the update as I left it to run and noticed it later when I came back to the machine. Could be pure coincidence and a hardware issue like a bad backlight just popped up. Anybody else having issues?
  • Reply 33 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwardrop View Post

My 2008 Macbook Pro has a dim screen after the update. Still displays fine to external 24" Cinema Display. I can't be sure it was the update as I left it to run and noticed it later when I came back to the machine. Could be pure coincidence and a hardware issue like a bad backlight just popped up. Anybody else having issues?

You didn?t mention it so I have to ask: Did you try to increase the brightness via the keyboard and System Preferences? » Displays?
  • Reply 34 of 92
    peteropetero Posts: 94member
    Looked through the release notes and have done a casual search but I couldn't find any 411 on 10.6.7 extending TRIM support to Macs prior to MBP 2011.

Anybody seen anything?
  • Reply 35 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Added to my ignore list, never posts anything worth reading.

thanks! asshole
  • Reply 36 of 92
    Quote:

thanks! asshole

And now mine, asshole.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Agreed.
  • Reply 38 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And now mine, asshole.

Ahhhhh... poetry...
  • Reply 39 of 92
    Quote:

The next thing you'll want is for it to wipe your butt...
  • Reply 40 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You didn?t mention it so I have to ask: Did you try to increase the brightness via the keyboard and System Preferences? » Displays?

I'm taking it to my shop Friday to see if it's a hardware issue.