Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.7

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwardrop View Post

I'm taking it to my shop Friday to see if it's a hardware issue.

Next step is to create a new user, restart, and then login with that user. This will tell us if it?s a user or system issue. If the former getting rid of a PLIST file might due it. If the latter then DLing and installing the 10.6.7 Combo update directly from Apple?s site might fix it.
  • Reply 42 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Next step is to create a new user, restart, and then login with that user. This will tell us if it?s a user or system issue. If the former getting rid of a PLIST file might due it. If the latter then DLing and installing the 10.6.7 Combo update directly from Apple?s site might fix it.

It works now. I had already restarted the machine to see if is was stuck in some kind of suspend or pre-sleep mode but no change there. Just a minute ago I put the lid down to see if the Apple logo was lit. When I put it back up my Macbook's screen went a scary shade of white and then both displays blacked out only to come back fine five seconds later. Strange.
  • Reply 43 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

safari is a dog these days, hope the ve fixed it.

What does OS X 10.6.7 have to do with Safari? If Safari's going to be updated, they'll release a Safari update.

Quote:

maybe it should do it by itself...

You're not quite getting behind what's really happening with Safari that makes it a RAM hog, and while I think your subsequent insults were completely childish and uncalled-for, the words of this sentence, out of context, are correct.

Safari SHOULD be giving unused RAM back to the system, but it isn't. Doesn't really have much to do with having a cache or it clearing itself, but the point's about the same.
  • Reply 44 of 92
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    @solipsism

oh fuck off.

you are going to read this.
  • Reply 45 of 92
    k.c.k.c. Posts: 60member
    Slightly off topic but, I've never understood what the advantage of using the Combo updater is as opposed to the specific updater in software update.

Anyone care to explain ?

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 46 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by K.C. View Post

Slightly off topic but, I've never understood what the advantage of using the Combo updater is as opposed to the specific updater in software update.

Anyone care to explain ?

Thanks in advance.

Yes I will what it does it ensures that all parts of the update will be installed not just the parts that are perceived as "extra and changed" what this means is that its almost like a fresh install it completely over write all files so you have a nice default update ... what this also means is if there was any left over corrupted files or any part of the OS that may have been previously installed that may be out of whack it gets replaced too so you know nothing has been left out
  • Reply 47 of 92
    graemegraeme Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by K.C. View Post

Anyone care to explain ?

Thanks in advance.

hi,

in addition to what nuvolino said if you have a few macs to update e.g a MacPro, Macbook Pro, iMac, Mini Mac and a Macbook Air or a few different generations of the same type of mac then you only need to download one update (the Combo) and it does the job for all of them.
  • Reply 48 of 92
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Quote:

oh fuck off.

Yeah? Well that's the last drivel *I* ever read from you.

"plonk"
  • Reply 49 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big KC View Post

"plonk"

He also sent me a PM telling to F off. I thought about reporting it, but it?s pointless. I?d rather him not create a fresh alias.
  • Reply 50 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aquajets1 View Post

you know the whole "macs don't get viruses" theory? its a bunch of bunk, or security updates wouldn't be needed. However, because apple releases semi-regular security updates (thank god, so much easier than MS updater) like this, Mac viruses are hardly seen. or they get hit with an apple update before long.

Steve Jobs wields the apple gun. Virus zombies watch out.

The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

And to let you get some proper information about the different malware types:
    Anyway, there has NOT been ONE virus for Mac OS X in public circulation in the last decade, and as of now, there is still none.

Good luck.
  • Reply 51 of 92
    peteropetero Posts: 94member
    Quote:

@solipsism

oh fuck off.

whoa, easy there. is that really called for?
  • Reply 52 of 92
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aquajets1 View Post

you know the whole "macs don't get viruses" theory? its a bunch of bunk, or security updates wouldn't be needed. However, because apple releases semi-regular security updates (thank god, so much easier than MS updater) like this, Mac viruses are hardly seen. or they get hit with an apple update before long.

Steve Jobs wields the apple gun. Virus zombies watch out.

It's like the reason you don't get hit with lightning - because I pray for you. No, really, what in the world are you even talking about? (And no, I don't pray for anyone, so apparently you aren't being hit with lightning because Steve hasn't willed it on you...)

Can you name a Mac (OS X) virus that has been out there? One that has been stopped with an Apple update? I get some conceptual hacks from some security conferences, but nothing in the wild yet after what, 9 years? It's not impossible that one will one day appear, but you know the whole "Macs don't get viruses" thing?

There is a reason Mac folks are happy not to be on PCs. Or Android phones. (OK, a whole bunch of reasons, but now I digress...)
  • Reply 53 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterO View Post

whoa, easy there. is that really called for?

well normally it isnt, but how d you want me to react if I hear ignore calls just for saying my thing? surely i have to respond in a proper way.
  • Reply 54 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big KC View Post

"plonk"

well, fuck you too, I didn't ask for your fucking opinion on what I said, so put me in your ignore list and fuck off, plonk, yeah, fuck off.
  • Reply 55 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He also sent me a PM telling to F off. I thought about reporting it, but it?s pointless. I?d rather him not create a fresh alias.

fresh alias? wtf is that, you are surely deluded, I have one nick and one ip, so I don't know why you woke up on the wrong side of the bed, but take her easy...
  • Reply 56 of 92
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

It's like the reason you don't get hit with lightning - because I pray for you. No, really, what in the world are you even talking about? (And no, I don't pray for anyone, so apparently you aren't being hit with lightning because Steve hasn't willed it on you...)

Can you name a Mac (OS X) virus that has been out there? One that has been stopped with an Apple update? I get some conceptual hacks from some security conferences, but nothing in the wild yet after what, 9 years? It's not impossible that one will one day appear, but you know the whole "Macs don't get viruses" thing?

There is a reason Mac folks are happy not to be on PCs. Or Android phones. (OK, a whole bunch of reasons, but now I digress...)

This thread is comical. I'm going to ratchet it up a notch: mrstep I completely agree with your post... Except, I'm happy on my Android phone. Just thought I'd throw one more wrench in this thread.

Updating ...
  • Reply 57 of 92
    Quote:

well, fuck you too, I didn't ask for your fucking opinion on what I said, so put me in your ignore list and fuck off, plonk, yeah, fuck off.

You are acting like a very small child who hasn't gotten their way.
  • Reply 58 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    removed... question already answered.
  • Reply 59 of 92
    10.6.7 brings no TRIM support to my 11" MacBook Air
  • Reply 60 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterO View Post

Looked through the release notes and have done a casual search but I couldn't find any 411 on 10.6.7 extending TRIM support to Macs prior to MBP 2011.

Anybody seen anything?

I have a mid-2009 MBP with Apple 256GB SSD. I can confirm (after a 10.6.7 combo-update) that SSD Trim is NOT enabled. I opened a support case with Apple Care (210949103) with a callback scheduled tomorrow afternoon.

I'm unhappy that Apple gave a custom Snow Leopard build with SSD Trim support to new MBPs while penalizing those of us who adopted early (I paid $3854 in June 2009) and have never had the benefit of that feature.

There is also a discussion in the Apple Support Forums: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....63208#13263208