I have to use Internet Explorer and Parallels - what security software do I need???

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello everyone:

I have a new macbook and I have to only run one Windows software on my mac because I have to log into and use Internet Explorer 6.0 and 7.0 because of this internet based software that I must use. From time to time I may need to download from this site.

I have parallels and plan to use this to just use Internet Explorer. I will log into my yahoo.com account and hotmail.com account using either firefox or Safari.

My question: What anti-virus, firewall, other security software do I need to purchase when I go into parallels and use Internet Explorer???

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msksport View Post

Hello everyone:

I have a new macbook and I have to only run one Windows software on my mac because I have to log into and use Internet Explorer 6.0 and 7.0 because of this internet based software that I must use. From time to time I may need to download from this site.

I have parallels and plan to use this to just use Internet Explorer. I will log into my yahoo.com account and hotmail.com account using either firefox or Safari.

My question: What anti-virus, firewall, other security software do I need to purchase when I go into parallels and use Internet Explorer???

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Technically, none. If you really need something, download Windows Defender and AVG Free...

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Technically, none. If you really need something, download Windows Defender and AVG Free...

Dave

Nod32 can also do the job for you!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wellformed View Post

Nod32 can also do the job for you!

Never heard of Nod32. Is it free like AVG?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michaelvumoore View Post

no you dont. apple provides all that for you in their updates. Just go to the top left of you screen, hit the apple logo and software update.

Thanks for not reading the thread's original post. Try it again.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Kaspersky Internet Security Suite. It is not free.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I use Microsoft Security Essentials with my Windows 7 VM in Parallels. It's free and does a decent job. I used to use AVG but it flaked out on me badly at one point.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    People, you do understand that this was a two-year old dead thread until the newbie revived it with his nonsensical post?