Spec: Look for updated PowerMacs February 19th

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I don't think Apple can rest on the current PowerMac line-up for very long, everyone seems to agree about that. The most logical place to announce an update to the "professional" mac is at <a href="http://www.key3media.com/seyboldseminars/"; target="_blank">Seybold New York which runs from February 19-22 </a>.

Apple probably wants as much press attention on the iMac and iPhoto as it can get and didn't want to cloud the public with announcements that would take away from free iMac advertising (It's cheaper to advertise to a niche market like publishing than the general public).

Waiting for Seybold also gives Motorola another 30-45 days to increase G4 speeds or maybe ramp up G5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    Didn't Apple stop going to Seybold in NY, and only go to the one in SF now?

Can't remember......

Either way, maybe they should go back this year.....

SdC
  • Reply 2 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>Didn't Apple stop going to Seybold in NY, and only go to the one in SF now?

Can't remember......

Either way, maybe they should go back this year.....

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.apple.com/creative/events/seyboldny2002/"; target="_blank">Apple is participating in Seybold NY</a>
  • Reply 3 of 56
    the shipping time for a powermac is 10 days, is this normal for after a show?
  • Reply 4 of 56
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Steve Jobs is not keynoting Seybold NY.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Maybe, but it all but defeats any possiblity of a G5 any time before March. Look how many times they reference the G4. If they do come out with something new any time until or through Seybold, you can safely bet it will continue as a G4. Had Apple any intention of upgrading to a G5, more ambiguity would be expected. These multiple references to the G4 are pretty stable and, coming from Apple's mouth, show they have no intention of pulling out the G5 during this time.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: giant ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 56
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Speed bumps can happen without a lot of hoopla. It's happened before. I would hope that Apple would not make a big deal about breaking 1 GHz when it happens.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]<strong>Maybe, but it all but defeats any possiblity of a G5 any time before March.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Two words: Apple Event.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Steve Jobs is not keynoting Seybold NY.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Seybold Seminars has not announced who IS keynoting, we will have to wait until they announce it. It still could be Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I second the Apple Event idea. Maybe at the end of Jan or beginning of Feb (when the current clear display savings ends)
  • Reply 10 of 56
    At MacWorld Apple is expected to offer the keynote, whereas Seybold is less Mac-centric, and the keynote is given by lots of different people.

Glad to see Apple going to Seybold, though. Seybold IS ALL ABOUT the kinds of powerusers who feel (rightly so) that they got gypped at Macworld.

That having been said, IF Steve wants it, he'll have it. Want to get some press coverage and foot traffic? Steve is the man.

I'd betcha a dollar the rollout of the new Powermacs in terms of time and event haven't been decided over at the Infinite Loop, and that any rumors to the contrary have been wholly fabricated.

SdC

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: suckfuldotcom ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 56
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    I can't understand how i can buy a 733mhz g4 128megs of ram 40 gig hard drive and whatever otpical drive tower for 100 bucks less than an 800mhz g4 with 256 megs of ram 60 gig hard drive and super drive with an LCD DISPLAY!

Maybe its our punishment for finding out about the iMac!
  • Reply 12 of 56
    <strong>

Two words: Apple Event.</strong>[/QUOTE]

I hear you, and I, too, am at the edge of my seat waiting for a G5 (I can't afford a TDM system), but if they had any intention of putting one out before the conference, instead of G4 it would say simply Power Mac (http://www.apple.com/creative/events/seyboldny2002/). I agree that there will be a speed bump to the Power Macs through a special event before March, but I think the earliest we'll see a G5 will be MWTokyo. But, since the iMacs now have top end G4s, I agree that G5s will be out in no time at all. It's all speculation though...
  • Reply 13 of 56
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I would actually rather it be a quiet update.. 1GHz is just not that "OMG WOW!" anymore. It would almost be embarrassing for Mr. Jobs to brag about it, call it "revolutionary," etc, this late in the game. It's catch-up time for the Power Macs, not exhibition. I mean, just think what all of the PC journalists and fanatics would have to say, they'd tear Apple to shreds for making a big deal out of something they've had for so long like it was brand new.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>I would actually rather it be a quiet update.. 1GHz is just not that "OMG WOW!" anymore. It would almost be embarrassing for Mr. Jobs to brag about it, call it "revolutionary," etc, this late in the game. It's catch-up time for the Power Macs, not exhibition. I mean, just think what all of the PC journalists and fanatics would have to say, they'd tear Apple to shreds for making a big deal out of something they've had for so long like it was brand new.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Extremely good point. Couldn't have said it better myself...
  • Reply 15 of 56
    jayjay Posts: 27member
    I think it might make more sense for Apple to debut new Pro PMs at <a href="http://www.apple.com/quicktimelive/"; target="_blank">Quicktime Live on Feb.11</a>. Then again, I thought it would have made MUCH more sense to debut them today.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Hmm who cares if its a g5 or g4

what matters is that apple will be able to say we now have 1.6ghz chip just like amd and ours is better and intel well who cares about intel everyoen knows they suck
  • Reply 17 of 56
    Now that the iMac has a G4, and a very fast one at that, there is no doubt in my mind that the Powermacs will get G5s soon.

My guess is that Motorola didn't have them ready in time. But it is also possible that Apple want's to release the G5 at a special event, alone. Sure they've speedbumped the G4s without much fanfare, but a G5 is big enough to warrant it's own expo.

I think that Apple wanted as much media attention on the iMac as possible for this expo. Just look at the new iBook, it's a very nice laptop, and I'm sure it will give Apple lots of sales, but the press is so in awe of the iMac that the iBook isn't getting much coverage.

If Apple had added Powermac G5s to the mix, then media coverage would have been diluted. Remember that Apple is only going to get so much coverage, and the more new products, the less time for each product.

I'm betting on G5s sometime before April. We'll see.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Remember the iPod? They announced the event to annouce it during the financial report for the last quarter. Think they might do the same this time?
  • Reply 19 of 56
    I think we'll see a special event around the first of the month as the rebate on the displays ends the end of the month. The price of the displays should be reduced also at that time. 22" to $1999 and the 17" to $799. We may see the 19" we've been hearing about too.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Well I work for seybold .. hehe .. not that I know much.

I do recall one of the nicer things about returning to NY for Seybold EAST was the possiblity of an Apple presence. Its not that Apple only wants to do only ONE seybold per year but the fact that they REFUSE to go to Boston (various expo floor reasons).

Oh and as for the semminars at

<a href="http://www.apple.com/creative/events/seyboldny2002/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/creative/events/seyboldny2002/</a>;

They held similar ones in boston too, but that didn't mean they'd were on the expo floor or we saw a Stevenote.

I'll keep my scaners peeled (knight rider refference) to see if info pops up.

I saw my first Stevenote in SF last year -- front row too. So I sure hope it happens again in NY.

~ Mike