RIM's iPad-competing BlackBerry PlayBook will launch for $499 on April 19

Comments

• Reply 21 of 121
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Congrats on matching the price RIM. Now try to match the specs, the screen size, the user experience, the app store and the hype. Good luck!

Ditto. Congrats!
  • Reply 22 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

But, But...

It has 1GB RAM and better cameras and it may one day run Flash:

That sounds like the Xoom. It also takes about 2 seconds for the screen to change after you change the orientation on that tablet. The iPad is instantaneous.

What good is "superior" specs when the performance is garbage?
  • Reply 23 of 121
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I'm sorry, people are going to expect a tablet with 43.6% of the screen area of the iPad to be cheaper.

Smaller rarely means cheaper when it comes to technology. Just look at the unsubsidised price of the iPhone.
  • Reply 24 of 121
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post

If you're an Apple fan you'll like this news, if you're not an Apple fan you'll like this news.

It's win win.

Competition drives innovation and choice is a good thing.

*yawn*

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

What does the PlayBook need 1GB RAM for? There is no Application around, that needs even a tenth. Or is it the OS that is so RAM hungry?

RIM has nothing on Apple so they just beef up the specs. They don't get it.
  • Reply 25 of 121
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    DOA me thinks.
  • Reply 26 of 121
    drfreemandrfreeman Posts: 111member
    I think one problem that RIM and alike will face in coming months is this: What Next?

RIM and others do not have the cash flow & reserve a company like Apple. So in the long run they can come up with a tablet. But their tablet will only be good for a couple of months and they have to release a new version. I am not sure they have enough money to do that!

I think Playbook is OK but it is just another product.

My advise is this:

For current tablet design and specs, the war is lost. Apple have already won. Spend your money on the next big thing that can add value to the tablet. That is the only way you can make money!

p.s. sorry for the poor grammar!
  • Reply 27 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

DOA me thinks.

Quit being so defensive.

Only kidding.
  • Reply 28 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The BlackBerry PlayBook is an amazing tablet that is already being widely praised as a multi-tasking powerhouse with an uncompromised web experience and an ultra-portable design," said Mike Lazaridis, president & co-CEO of RIM.

And what's this? By whom is it being "widely praised" if nobody's seen it yet? Can you imagine if Steve Jobs said anything like this? The howler monkeys would be in full chorus!
  • Reply 29 of 121
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    $500 for a device that can't do nothing more than just web surf is a little steep I think. On top of all, even web surfing is limited to just WiFi.
  • Reply 30 of 121
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I completely agree that competition can be good for innovation, sometimes the opposite is more true - innovation is good for competition. And that's the more relevant rule where Apple is involved. It is Apple's own innovation in iPods, iPhones and iPads (prior to any worthy competition) that raised the bar in the market. There is no meaningful competition pushing them - merely potential competition that keeps falling short and confirming to Steve jobs that Apple is on the right track. So if you think Apple needs to be reminded they're on the right track, then yes, competition is a good thing. Otherwise, the competition has merely been a byproduct of Apple's innovation.

The Playbook having a smaller screen but being the same price as the iPad is a perfect example of confirming to Apple to keep doing what it's doing. If iPad weren't already so far in the lead then Blackberry could justify that price in other ways - but that's not the case.
  • Reply 31 of 121
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's called mocking.

Well said. Meanwhile ... in the same vein, can I ask why they didn't add a pull out keyboard? After all they did mock Apple's iPhone for NOT having one!
  • Reply 32 of 121
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    I will admit at first I thought playbook could actually stand a chance to survive in an iPad dominated market. Then I came to my senses and chuckled at the thought. It's game over man, Apple has set a pretty high bar. Gorgeous design, thriving ecosystem, and increibly user friendly. My client's 3 year old has the first iPad as a way to keep him entertained while they work or run errands, he's a whiz on it. These companies just need to throw in the towel already.
  • Reply 33 of 121
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

I will admit at first I thought playbook could actually stand a chance to survive in an iPad dominated market. Then I came to my senses and chuckled at the thought. It's game over man, Apple has set a pretty high bar. Gorgeous design, thriving ecosystem, and increibly user friendly. My client's 3 year old has the first iPad as a way to keep him entertained while they work or run errands, he's a whiz on it. These companies just need to throw in the towel already.

Agreed. There are going to be a lot of iPad killer makers left wondering how to repay their banks in about a year.
  • Reply 34 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Smaller rarely means cheaper when it comes to technology. Just look at the unsubsidised price of the iPhone.

Now, that's just dumb. We're not talking about the difficulties in miniaturizing some device. They just are making a smaller piece. Making a 7" vs. a 10" screen is not difficult. The guts are no big deal. And I guess a 30" monitor should be less than a 14"?

What it boils down to is that they think a 7" device will fit some niche for them. Some people may prefer the smaller form factor. It will certainly be easier to type on it than a Blackberry. Blackberry users may like it due their familiarity with BB. Some people are loyal to their BB's. And the $499 would not put them off that much. Time will tell if they are right or not. But they are certainly late to the party if they ever arrive and I doubt they will gain significant market share.

The 7" size is not terrible, but it sure won't give you the same user experience as the iPad's larger screen.
  • Reply 35 of 121
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    wow

i just wish my apple products were professional grade like RIM.
  • Reply 36 of 121
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    RIM is placing all their eggs in the PlayBook basket. I just don't see this working.
  • Reply 37 of 121
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

wow

i just wish my apple products were professional grade like RIM.

And I just wish these guys wouldn't use toys during surgery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5nbNIpqdAY

<sarcasm>
  • Reply 38 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No mention of battery life?

I went to the Blackberry site and no mention of battery in the specs.

I posted several times that I would be surprised if the PlayBook were available in any meaningful quantity before June 2011 -- looks as though they may prove me wrong.

The Flash/AIR advantages seem to be toned down quite a bit as are apps -- though I've heard rumous that it will run Android apps.

I think it is worth a trip to a local store to see/try it in person, before commenting on the UI/OS and usability.
  • Reply 39 of 121
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I'm going to risk it and say it out loud, does anybody actually give a fuck about this PlayShit nonsense? Bloody hell.
  • Reply 40 of 121
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

RIM is placing all their eggs in the PlayBook basket. I just don't see this working.

We?ve heard about this iPad killer for so long and we still have little real world information on the device that I think those eggs have long since rotted.