Improved antenna, 4-inch screen, NFC e-wallet rumored for Apple's iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report from a Far East newspaper reiterates rumors that Apple will sell a next-generation "iPhone 5" this summer with an improved antenna design, a larger 4-inch display, and integrated near-field communications chip for wireless e-wallet transactions.

China Times reported Tuesday (via Google Translate) that Apple's so-called iPhone 5 is now in its "trial production stage." It also said that the new device, which will allegedly have a "metal chassis" for an improved antenna design, will launch in the third quarter of 2011.

The new design would apparently be to address issues that arose with the iPhone 4, when it was discovered that covering the bottom left corner of the handset could cause some signal attenuation. The metal band on the perimeter of the iPhone 4 doubles as the device's antennas, saving space inside the handset.

The report also reiterated recurring rumors that the iPhone 5 will include an NFC chip for an e-wallet service, allowing handset owners to use their device to authorize credit card transactions. Rumors of NFC support have persisted for months, and on Monday The New York Times cited two anonymous sources in saying that Apple planned to add an NFC chip to a future iPhone, but could not confirm whether it would be the iPhone 5.

Tuesday's report also added support to rumors that Apple plans to expand the screen size of the iPhone to 4 inches with the fifth-generation device anticipated this year. Rumors have suggested that Apple could increase the display from its current size of 3.5 inches without increasing the physical size of the device, utilizing an edge-to-edge screen.

Finally, the report also indicated that the next iPhone will, as expected, include Apple's new dual-core, custom built A5 processor. The A5, which offers twice the processing power and up to 9 times the graphical power of its A4 predecessor, debuted earlier this month inside the iPad 2.

China Times also noted that strong demand for Apple products, particularly the iPhone and iPad, has prompted Apple's manufacturing partner, Foxconn, to plan a new facility in Sao Paulo, Brazil. It was said that the new plant will be specifically to build Apple products, and production will start in 2013.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 128
    I am skipping the upgrade of my iPad to an iPad 2 to fund an iPhone 5, so am hoping it will be worth it
  • Reply 2 of 128
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Definitely planning on upgrading from my 3GS to the 5 this summer. Just wondering if the slide out keyboard rumor is true or not. Also wondering if there is going to be any faster or broader frequency support for data.

Seems to be an exciting tech summer for me. Upgrading to Lion on the Mac Pro and new MBP. New iPhone, and love the idea of a larger screen.

Fun stuff. I'd be wishing it were June now if we didn't have a cruise coming up in May.
  • Reply 3 of 128
    ctwisectwise Posts: 48member
    I don't believe the 4 inch rumor. Apple isn't going to change the height/width ratio of the screen. I think at most the display will change from a 2" x 3" to a 2 1/8" x 3 3/16". Update: making it a 3.831 inch screen, not a 4 inch screen.
  • Reply 4 of 128
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Definitely planning on upgrading from my 3GS to the 5 this summer. Just wondering if the slide out keyboard rumor is true or not. Also wondering if there is going to be any faster or broader frequency support for data.

Seems to be an exciting tech summer for me. Upgrading to Lion on the Mac Pro and new MBP. New iPhone, and love the idea of a larger screen.

Fun stuff. I'd be wishing it were June now if we didn't have a cruise coming up in May.

Slide out keyboard???

I prefer the rumor it has the built in ability to deliver a high voltage shock to anyone applying a death grip.
  • Reply 5 of 128
    Quote:

Just wondering if the slide out keyboard rumor is true or not.

No... the third party manufacturers had it wrong... the keyboard is actually for the upcoming Microsoft Zune phone... in brown...
  • Reply 6 of 128
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctwise View Post

I don't believe the 4 inch rumor. Apple isn't going to change the height/width ratio of the screen. I think at most the display will change from a 2" x 3" to a 2 1/8" x 3 3/16". Update: making it a 3.831 inch screen, not a 4 inch screen.

I think they can safely call that a 4in screen.
  • Reply 7 of 128
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:

God I hope there is no slide out keyboard. I cannot imagine it turning out well, not even for Apple. As for the display, I think the current size is perfect and I don't really need a larger screen. However, if Apple can somehow fit a bigger screen but keep the same size form factor, then I would be okay with this. On the other hand, if it turns out to be slightly too large for my pocket, or makes my pockets feel obese, then this is a deal breaker for me.

Mainly I just want improved antennas and a non-glass back.
  • Reply 8 of 128
    tammyttammyt Posts: 20member
    How can an "all metal back" help improve the antenna?

I would think it would just:

1. Using metal would *BLOCK* the signal. (not help it)

2. If the metal *IS* the antenna... now we have to not-touch the entire back (instead of just the edges.)
  • Reply 9 of 128
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctwise View Post

I agree about them not changing the aspect ratio, especially not to something that diverges even farther from the iPad's aspect ratio. But it depends on what they mean by "without increasing the overall size" of the iPhone. They could increase the width by a few mm and decrease the height a few mm (meaning the overall case, not the screen) to maintain the same mm^2 area of the face. Then shrink the non-display area were the home button and earpiece are located to make room for the bigger screen. That could get them closer to a 4" screen.

Then again, half the time when we hear these rumors I think the larger display is aimed for the iPod touch, not the iPhone. They could make the touch bigger and then create a new iPod to replace the venerable iPod classic. It would be smaller than the current touch and only limited functionality (ie, not much more than a PIM). Keep it simple enough to be able to cram lots of flash storage into it without jacking up the price so it can take the place of the HD-based classic.
  • Reply 10 of 128
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TammyT View Post

2. If the metal *IS* the antenna... now we have to not-touch the entire back (instead of just the edges.)

I think the 'problem' (as far as you can actually call it a problem in real life) with the iPhone 4 antenna is not so much that your hands touch it (GSM signals go straight through them), but that by touching the small bands between the antenna parts you bridge them, which does distort the signal since it changes electrical properties of the antenna part used for the GSM signal.
  • Reply 11 of 128
    tammyttammyt Posts: 20member
    Quote:

A software keyboard can do MANY things that a physical keyboard never can:

\tWork in landscape AND portrait modes.

\tWork in 200 different language without having to ever manufacture ANY different keyboards.

\tLighter.

\tCheaper.

\tNo slider to break.

\tNo keys to break.

\tThinner device.

\tThe keys can resize themselves and get bigger, when needed. (Landscape mode.)
  • Reply 12 of 128
    Quote:

Definitely planning on upgrading from my 3GS to the 5 this summer. Just wondering if the slide out keyboard rumor is true or not. ...

Sliding keyboards are essentially dead, they will just take a little longer to disappear. Not only will Apple not be making anything of the sort (why would they?), most other manufacturers are moving away from them.

IMO it's very similar to when mice came out. Several manufacturers offered some kind of ball or pointer control device built into the keyboard as an alternative. The reason was some people had "trouble" with mice and it was considered that mice "weren't for everyone." Since the keyboard was king at that time, the focus was instead on fancier and fancier keyboards (with integrated pointers and other gee-gaws). At the same time, many experimental "alternatives" to the mouse were floated.

Soon however, it became apparent that most everyone *could* actually use a mouse if they just gave it a good try, keyboards went back to being much more basic and all the alternative mice faded away. The slide-out keyboard is the same kind of beast. In a few years they will be hard to find and people will call you grampa if you use one because only the "old folks" will still have trouble with virtual keyboards.
  • Reply 13 of 128
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    "The new design would apparently be to address issues that arose with the iPhone 4"

Or maybe the new design is simply to support the NFC, which is really just one more wireless standard.
  • Reply 14 of 128
    Quote:

It's more likely to have a slide-out antenna.

And even though we don't really know, we know it will not have these things.
  • Reply 15 of 128
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TammyT View Post

How do you think Mac laptops get a WiFi signal? The antenna would be in the Apple logo.
  • Reply 16 of 128
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I agree about them not changing the aspect ratio, especially not to something that diverges even farther from the iPad's aspect ratio. But it depends on what they mean by "without increasing the overall size" of the iPhone. They could increase the width by a few mm and decrease the height a few mm (meaning the overall case, not the screen) to maintain the same mm^2 area of the face. Then shrink the non-display area were the home button and earpiece are located to make room for the bigger screen. That could get them closer to a 4" screen.

Then again, half the time when we hear these rumors I think the larger display is aimed for the iPod touch, not the iPhone. They could make the touch bigger and then create a new iPod to replace the venerable iPod classic. It would be smaller than the current touch and only limited functionality (ie, not much more than a PIM). Keep it simple enough to be able to cram lots of flash storage into it without jacking up the price so it can take the place of the HD-based classic.

But how much bigger could they make the display while still keeping the same case design? I don?t think 4? is possible within that footprint if they stick with the same aspect ratio. I also don?t think Apple will include an entirely new UI for developers for a quarter inch. Just look at how long they kept the iPhone?s display resolution until they could double the pixels in each direction.

This will be the 5th version of the iPhone so I think that Apple is working on expanding the product line to include more than one model type. It also seems that the display is the biggest hold up for these devices so dividing it there could help maintain component supplies as their need grows.

So maybe we?ll see the same 3.5? iPhone and a new 4?+ iPhone using the same aspect ratio and resolution of the 3.5? iPhone, just with less pixel density, though still well above the minimum for calling it ?Retina?.

This additional size would help Apple compete with Android phones who have gone to the large size because they couldn?t compete with Apple on price, and don?t have the engineering know-how to make a compact modern cellphone the way Apple can. This would allow Apple to get the customers that want a larger display while allowing Apple to add features like LTE sooner rather than later due to the increased space for chips and the battery.
  • Reply 17 of 128
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

How do you think Mac laptops get a WiFi signal? The antenna would be in the Apple logo.

So this means Apple has to put the antenna "inside" the phone, rather than "around" the phone. Hope they can keep shrinking those components then. (and yet, you'll still be covering the antenna window with your hand)
  • Reply 18 of 128
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

I think the 'problem' (as far as you can actually call it a problem in real life) with the iPhone 4 antenna is not so much that your hands touch it (GSM signals go straight through them), but that by touching the small bands between the antenna parts you bridge them, which does distort the signal since it changes electrical properties of the antenna part used for the GSM signal.

It's not touching the separation bands themselves, per se. It's connecting the two different antennas together (bridging) across the that gap. If you touch the separator band, your finger will then, also be touching both antennas at the same time. You do the same thing if you touch one antenna with your index finger, and the other antenna with your middle finger.
  • Reply 19 of 128
    It's about time they fixed that damn antenna!
  • Reply 20 of 128
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    i see a nano sized fat boy shaped iphone coming soon

with a cheaper price and super mass production possible .

look to 4 countries that would buy a ton of these cheaper phones

russia china india singapore

just saying

peace