Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Crash or continue, push notifications

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

The makers of Growl can't be too happy.

It's not like they're making money on it. Besides, I don't see Growl notification going away. Email receipt is only one of many notification events I see. IM notifications are probably less efficient going through a central server. Dropbox notices would probably be well served outside of Growl, perhaps OmniFocus task notices as well. However, iTunes music changes, last.fm scrobbles, Handbrake encodes - basically any local processing alerts do not need to go through Apple's notification servers.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    This is a cool feature. More control/options is good.

I just noticed the buttons in Lion for the first time; they're square. Which makes sense, for Apple to match their buttons with their iMacs. Round and shiny for the gum-drop style, matte and square with rounded corners for the current gen.

Nice attention to detail, Apple. Keep it up.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

It's not like they're making money on it. Besides, I don't see Growl notification going away. Email receipt is only one of many notification events I see. IM notifications are probably less efficient going through a central server. Dropbox notices would probably be well served outside of Growl, perhaps OmniFocus task notices as well. However, iTunes music changes, last.fm scrobbles, Handbrake encodes - basically any local processing alerts do not need to go through Apple's notification servers.

True, but Apple added Local Notifications to iOS, they could very well be planning to add them to OS X too, alongside Push.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

True, but Apple added Local Notifications to iOS, they could very well be planning to add them to OS X too, alongside Push.

Ah, true. Well I'd hate to see Growl superseded by OSX notifications because of how flexible they are. Example, the vast majority of my notifications automatically fade after about three seconds. Omnifocus due notifications remain until I close them. And while I never use network or email notifications, I can see how handy those could be...
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I think the crash thing is for developers testing the beta. Popping up a window like that is unprofessional.

What are you talking about, when an app crashes you get the option to show a report of what happened already. Now maybe the window that pops up will give users an option to save work & then crash. This example may be architected more for developers but something similar will probably show up in final version.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:

Ah, true. Well I'd hate to see Growl superseded by OSX notifications because of how flexible they are. Example, the vast majority of my notifications automatically fade after about three seconds. Omnifocus due notifications remain until I close them. And while I never use network or email notifications, I can see how handy those could be...

All we can do is hope Apple employees use the same awesome apps we do, which is probably very likely. Along with Growl styled notifications & options how about some native QuickSilver like features built right into spotlight!!
  • Reply 27 of 33
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

We used to (sort-of) have this back in the old days with Macsbug. On occasion I could hit the developer key when the system froze, get Macsbug to pop up and hit 'r' to resume. Didn't always work, but for early days it would sometimes let me save my work...

Woah, I forgot all about the reset and interrupt buttons on my Mac Plus. I just checked and they are still on there too! Woot! Since they clipped on, they were very easy to loose.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n42 View Post

http://www.plexapp.com/

Ahh, the icon of the buggy program that crashed.

I was there with flan too.....
  • Reply 29 of 33
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

lion enabled applications of course save ALL THE TIME your documents, new or old, "saved" or not, named or not.

if you just create a new untitled document, yup, it is saved.

-

"Save as" is no more in textedit. Now you have "save" who allow you to name the new document or create a new version immediately and "duplicate" to create a new document starting from an old.

I noticed this earlier when typing in TextEdit, but I'm a bit confused... It seems the file, despite being saved, won't actually show up in Documents until I press CMD+S. And thus, what happens if I never actually save the file, but close TextEdit? It just holds a file called "Untitled" in memory?
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Today Lion crashed completely. But it recovered without a restart. The screen just went blue, and after a couple of seconds it was up and running again. It was not just a restart of the finder. Is this a new feature??
  • Reply 31 of 33
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWaveable View Post

Today Lion crashed completely. But it recovered without a restart. The screen just went blue, and after a couple of seconds it was up and running again. It was not just a restart of the finder. Is this a new feature??

Not to be the NDA thrower-arounder ... but Lion is a Dev preview. Shouldn't you be talking about it only on the Dev Forums?
  • Reply 32 of 33
    q2hq2h Posts: 18member
    Sorry if this seems off topic as it's not about push notifications, but has anyone else experienced severe input lag using a Magic Mouse and Apple keyboard? It makes the OS unusable.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by q2h View Post

Sorry if this seems off topic as it's not about push notifications, but has anyone else experienced severe input lag using a Magic Mouse and Apple keyboard? It makes the OS unusable.

Right. What was Apple thinking releasing this to consumers in this state?! Oh, wait....