Despite Apple suit, Amazon Appstore for Android debuts with free Angry Birds

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
Amazon on Tuesday officially launched its "Appstore for Android," complete with a free copy of the game "Angry Birds Rio," just days after Amazon was hit with a trademark infringement suit from Apple over the "App Store" name.

Amazon launched the digital download service for Android devices as expected, and retained the name "Amazon Appstore for Android." The service can be found at amazon.com/appstore, and it allows customers to find, discover, test and buy Android applications through Amazon's online storefront.

Using their computer and a mouse, customers can try out Android applications before they buy them with the new "Test Drive" feature. It simulates an Android phone to give users the ability to try before they buy.

"Test Drive lets customers truly experience an app before they commit to buying. It is a unique, new way to shop for apps," said Paul Ryder, vice president of electronics for Amazon.com.

"Our customers have told us that the sheer number of apps available can make it hard to find apps that are high quality and relevant to them. We've spent years developing innovative features that help customers discover relevant products. By applying these features - plus new ones like Test Drive - we're aiming to give customers a refreshing app shopping experience."

To help promote the new Android Appstore, Amazon secured an exclusive free launch of the new title "Angry Birds Rio," based on the popular Angry Birds game franchise and featuring characters from the upcoming film "Rio." Amazon has also promised a new paid application for free every day.

Amazon has pushed forward to launch its Amazon store in the face of a new lawsuit from Apple. Filed last week, the complaint accuses Amazon of violating the "App Store" trademark for which Apple has applied.

Apple first applied for the App Store trademark in 2008, shortly after the launch of its digital download service for the iPhone. Since then, the App Store has expanded to the iOS-powered iPad, and the moniker has also extended to the Mac App Store for full-fledged Mac computers.

Apple has argued that the general public associates the word "App Store" with its own line of products, and that Amazon's "Appstore" is too similarly named. U.S. trademark law requires the owner of a mark to vigorously defend its use, or risk losing ownership should it become a generic description.

Apple reportedly contacted Amazon three times to request that they not use the "Amazon Appstore" name, but the online retailer did not comply, as evidenced by Tuesday's official public launch of the service. Apple has argued that the name of Amazon's service will "confuse and mislead customers."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Test drive sounds like a great feature. I'd love to see something similar on the Apple app store.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    Apple doesn't have THE App Store. They have AN App Store.

I hope the lawsuit gets shot down.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Sounds too much like "Cosmo Kramer, The Ass Man!"...
  • Reply 4 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Oh poor Google, they want so much to be just like Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh poor Google, they want so much to be just like Apple.

Google? Google does nothing on this case
  • Reply 6 of 59
    Quote:

Test drive sounds like a great feature. I'd love to see something similar on the Apple app store.

Yes, it does. Has anyone tried it out yet? I find this the most frustrating thing about Apple's App Store. Not being able to try an app is a step backwards when compared to demo software for desktop machines, even if the majority of iphone apps are cheap and might be viewed as throw away. The cost of cheap apps mounts up if you are trying to find one that best suits your own personal requirements. It has to make sense for a buyer to be able to try the goods to see if they are suitable. A few screen grabs and often dodgy reviews just don't cut it for me.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Only three stars for Angry Birds! There must be a lot of really awesome Android games at Amazon.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Apple doesn't have THE App Store. They have AN App Store.

I hope the lawsuit gets shot down.

I agree, they're overreaching. Amazon is calling this thing (the) 'Amazon appstore'. It's different enough from what Apple is doing.

From Apple's POV, I can understand why you go after Amazon: It sends a message. But I think this whole 'App Store' trademark thing is a poor way for Apple to spend its time and money. Hey, let everyone call their venture an App Store. So what? That won't cost Apple a dime in sales.

The only thing competitors should not be allowed to do is call themselves (the) "Apple App Store", for obvious reasons. And they should not be allowed to look too much like Apple's venture (which some will no doubt do). Against such things (which cause customer confusion), Apple should be vigilant and aggressive. But aside from that, they should be left alone. They're store that sell 'apps'. They're app stores, all of them.

Waste of time and money pursuing this. Let it go.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    Is it me, or is the Test Drive feature NOWHERE to be found on the main page nor on any of the app pages. If this is such an amazing feature, why is it so hard to find?
  • Reply 10 of 59
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Let's see.

"App Store" is trademarked by Apple. Good. No one else should be allowed to use it. Let them come up with their own word.

Since "app" is shorthand for "application", I suggest Amazon do something similar and use the name "Appl Store" for their marketplace :-).
  • Reply 11 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Yeah me too - regardless of the whole name argument, once again competition proves good for the consumer......
  • Reply 12 of 59
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    This is a free country. It's alright to be copy cats.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:

Isn't this what all the "lite" apps are about?
  • Reply 14 of 59
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

I agree, they're overreaching. Amazon is calling this thing (the) 'Amazon appstore'. It's different enough from what Apple is doing. ...

Maybe Apple should have called theirs the 'Amazon App Store', that would have been different from what Amazon was doing at the time. After all, amazon is a relatively common term.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

This has been my number one request for the App Store since day one. They already have the mechanism in place with movie and TV show rentals within the FairPlay DRM. All they have to do is allow the developer set whether they want to allow trial versions, and perhaps allow select duration time periods.

However, with Mac App Store Apple said that trial versions were to be left on the developer?s website I have to think they have no inclination to include this option anytime soon. I hope that isn?t the case.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    Quote:

I agree, they're overreaching. Amazon is calling this thing (the) 'Amazon appstore'. It's different enough from what Apple is doing...

No, Apple actually has a good case and similar cases (precedents) have been won in the past.

Quote:

... I think this whole 'App Store' trademark thing is a poor way for Apple to spend its time and money. Hey, let everyone call their venture an App Store. So what? That won't cost Apple a dime in sales....

Wrong. It will cost them all the sales of those confused enough to go to the Amazon app store instead of the Apple app store.

Quote:

... The only thing competitors should not be allowed to do ... .

Not going to even reply to the rest in as much as it's just a rant based on no actual evidence besides your limited opinion.
  • Reply 17 of 59
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Behave Amazon... else apple will bring out an e-ink eBook and do it properly.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Quote:

Wrong. It will cost them all the sales of those confused enough to go to the Amazon app store instead of the Apple app store.

Wrong Wrong!

It is an Android app store. Apple cant lose one sale to that as Apple doesnt sell a device that runs Android apps.

FYI: I agree they shouldnt be allowed to call it an appstore. Apple wouldnt be allowed to sell their operating system as Apple windows X
  • Reply 19 of 59
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    U.S. trademark law requires the owner of a mark to vigorously defend its use, or risk losing ownership should it become a generic description.

And who used app before Apple. It seems that everything from product to software to naming is copied from those who have no imagination or time to invest in originality.

Most people see a link between App and Apple, App seemingly short for Apple. Now how cool is that.

Meanwhile, the eXoom is still incomplete and buggy. Check out the eXoom and Android sights. The complains and pleas for assistance with a product that is so third rate it brings tears to the eyes and speed to the feet that are returning them.

As the great philosopher Nelson say, ha ha!
  • Reply 20 of 59
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Why do people say "App Store" is a generic term? The generic term would be "An online service or website-hosted store for downloading either free or paid mobile or computer applications" ~ "App Store", "Marketplace" "Blackberry world" are all examples of this.

EDIT: also, Apple uses the file extension .app (OSX) or .ipa, iPhone Application, (iOS), whereas Android uses .apk. Who was the first company to uses or popularize either "app" or ".app"?