Apple rumored to release new iMacs with Sandy Bridge, Thunderbolt by early May

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

sweet. just in time for my tax refund. as long as lion is pre-installed, i'm in.

If they come out in May, you'll probably get a free upgrade to Lion when it's released or it will be a nominal fee.
  • Reply 22 of 109
    timmerktimmerk Posts: 11member
    I also will not upgrade to a glossy screen. I don't get why Apple doesn't understand that there are many people that want matte screens!
  • Reply 23 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

sweet. just in time for my tax refund. as long as lion is pre-installed, i'm in.

So you'll be waiting until the revision after this one or late, late summer, then?
  • Reply 24 of 109
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Still looking for Thunderbolt devices... otherwise it's just a miniDisplay port with a nifty logo.
  • Reply 25 of 109
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    All well and good, but where is my Sandy Bridge MBA with the Thunderbolt port? (taps fingers impatiently...)
  • Reply 26 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Still looking for Thunderbolt devices... otherwise it's just a miniDisplay port with a nifty logo.

It's that kind of attitude that would have killed off USB.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    I have been waiting for the new iMac line-up FOREVER.

This will be my first Mac in my house since an Apple IIe. I used others in school till 1993 and 1996 in college.

Now, I just gotta wait for Lion to be pre-installed on them before I buy.

I'm not going to learn two separate OS in less than 3-4 months. I will be learning from scratch since I'm crossing over from PC thanks to my iPhone 3GS which i'm upgrading to an iPhone 5 as well.
  • Reply 28 of 109
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Promise Pegasus R4 and R6 will be available for order from the Apple Store and authorized resellers in Q2 (april-may-june). Pricing will be announced at a later date.

LaCie Little Big Disk featuring Thunderbolt?. 240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB (7200rpm). Available Summer 2011.

Industry Support

? AJA

? Apogee

? Avid Technology

? Blackmagic

? Canon Inc.

? Universal Audio

? Western Digital Corporation

Technology brief for Thunderbolt technology PDF.
  • Reply 29 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleConvertNJRob View Post

I'm not going to learn two separate OS in less than 3-4 months.

This isn't Windows. OS X stays the same between revisions. There's nothing to "learn". Lion removes document saving and adds full-screening/Mission Control. Other than that, it'll be usably identical to Snow Leopard, however different it looks.
  • Reply 30 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This isn't Windows. OS X stays the same between revisions. There's nothing to "learn". Lion removes document saving and adds full-screening/Mission Control. Other than that, it'll be usably identical to Snow Leopard, however different it looks.

I realize the basics are the same but like you said it will look different and growing accustomed to two different layouts in 3 months or so is why i was opting to wait. If i was already familiar with the OS then I wouldn't wait. but I'd be learning basics getting used to stuff then readjust to changes no matter how minor
  • Reply 31 of 109
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

USB 2 has kept me from upgrading. Now with the Thunderbolt port I can upgrade my 2007 iMac, but I'm going to wait to see how Apple handles the iPhone and iPad. I am sick of waiting 15 minutes to sync with USB 2.

Sorry, off topic but related to your comment ... I'd like to see the option to sync my iPhones and iPads over wifi let alone via TB. I realize it would be slower but it would be nice to have the choice.
  • Reply 32 of 109
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

I realize the basics are the same but like you said it will look different and growing accustomed to two different layouts in 3 months or so is why i was opting to wait. If i was already familiar with the OS then I wouldn't wait. but I'd be learning basics getting used to stuff then readjust to changes no matter how minor

Having a Lion beta on an alternative volume to play with I would tend to think you might have a good point. Those of us that have been with OS X forever enjoy learning new tricks and revel in every chance of an update. However, if coming new to OS X, for the sake of a few months, I think Lion is sufficiently different to justify a short wait. Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 33 of 109
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmerk View Post

I also will not upgrade to a glossy screen. I don't get why Apple doesn't understand that there are many people that want matte screens!

They do understand. That's why they make the Mini at one end and the Mac Pro at the other.

Knock yourself out with any matte screen you like.
  • Reply 34 of 109
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Great, another hardware upgrade.. No one can keep up with the latest and newest gizmos available..

It's the reality of modern world. You can't change that.
  • Reply 35 of 109
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:

I have been waiting for the new iMac line-up FOREVER.

This will be my first Mac in my house since an Apple IIe. I used others in school till 1993 and 1996 in college.

Now, I just gotta wait for Lion to be pre-installed on them before I buy.

I'm not going to learn two separate OS in less than 3-4 months. I will be learning from scratch since I'm crossing over from PC thanks to my iPhone 3GS which i'm upgrading to an iPhone 5 as well.

I like your attention to details.
  • Reply 36 of 109
    hlfnlsnhlfnlsn Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nondual View Post

Finally some iMac news! I won't be able to get these, probably.....but this is still the only Mac line I'm interested in right now. I can get just as psyched up for the 'Post-PC' line of stuff as anyone else, because what's $300-$500 every year or so? But when it comes to replacing my iMac, that's a once-per-3-to-5-year proposition....

I switched from PC to Mac about 2.5 years ago and I'm currently on my 4th Mac since then. One of the things I've always loved about the Mac is its ability to retain its value. If you can afford $300-$500 every year, then you can afford to upgrade your Mac as often as they upgrade. Every Mac I've owned, prior to my current one, I was able to sell for within $300-$500 of what I paid for a new one.
  • Reply 37 of 109
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post

It might be time to replace my 17" G4 Imac lampstyle.....it's like 12 years old now, but still working great. ...

The oldest 17" flat panel was introduced July, 2002. Not even nine years old. The youngest version will be seven this summer.

My iMac will be eleven this summer I use it every day.

Over time, Macs are by far the most cost-effective computers you can buy.
  • Reply 38 of 109
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Now if we hear of a Mac mini with SB & thunderbolt I'll really be excited! We'll basically have the headless Mac that many of us have been waiting for... After all, TB is pretty much a PCIe bus in the form of an external port. In fact, if a device doesn't have a PCIe bus it can't have TB... So no TB for AppleTV or any other iPhone based hardware but iMac and mini both have a PCI bus MacBook & MacBook pro too even tho they don't have any slots bolted to it...

So all we need now is an external box with some PCI slots on it and a TB ports in the back and suddenly lots of options open up that were previously unavailable.
  • Reply 39 of 109
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    We should probably refer to it as "mini-Thunderbolt".

Another forked standard requiring an adapter workaround.
  • Reply 40 of 109
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

I love the current iMacs but I'm beginning to long for a new design. This one has been around for years now, only changing from white plastic to the aluminum and black glass currently used.

My favourite iMac was the "lamp" but something like that might not happen again because there's no more computer to hide in the base like they did with the lamp iMac. It's ever more comfortably fitting right behind the screen, lending for a very clean all in one look.

What do y'all think the next iMac will look like? Less chin perhaps? More like the cinema displays? Maybe we'll see an articulating neck like the lamp iMac after all, once OSX Lion's full screen apps and more iOS like UI begin to open up OSX for touch leading to an iMac that can move horizontal for an ergonomic touch experience.

I'd like to see the base used to recharge the keyboard and mouse.

Push the keyboard away when you're done, to touch the base and charge.

Place the mouse on the base, to charge by induction.