Motorola doesn't plan orders for iPad-competing Xoom past June - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Motorola will reportedly reduce orders for its Xoom tablet starting in the second quarter of 2011, and no orders are apparently scheduled past June, suggesting a Xoom successor and newer competitor to Apple's iPad 2 is already in the works.

Motorola's newly released Xoom tablet will already receive fewer orders from its manufacturer starting in the second quarter of 2011, according to Digitimes. Sources told the industry publication that Motorola will gradually drop its Xoom orders each month beginning in the second quarter.

Orders are expected to decrease to around 300,000 units in April, down from between 400,000 and 500,000 in March. And shipments will go below 300,000 in May, the report said.

In fact, Motorola's current schedule only has the company placing orders for the Xoom until the end of June, sources reportedly told the Taiwanese publication.

"The sources believe the unclear market status of iPad-like tablet PCs is the reason for Motorola to reduce its orders," the report said, "and the company may launch a new Xoom model in the second half after evaluating the situation."

Shipments of the Xoom are expected to reach between 3 million and 5 million in 2011. The Xoom was hyped with a Super Bowl advertisement before the 3G-radio-equipped version of the touchscreen tablet went on sale in February.

Those sales estimates are well behind the market leader, Apple's iPad 2. DigiTimes reported earlier this month that shipments of the iPad 2 are expected to reach between 10 million and 12 million in the second quarter of 2011 alone.

Apple is reportedly on track to hit a target of 40 million iPads produced in 2011. Apple sold a total of 15 million iPads from its debut in April 2010 until last December, for a total of $9.5 billion in revenue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    That was quick.

Well at least Moto is on the ball and picking it self up, dusting itself off and trying again.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    Not that surprising. Hopefully they come out with something better thought of.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Man that sucks for the people who just bought the Xoom. The one year product upgrade cycles from Apple are bad enough, but less than 6 months? OUCH. I know this doesnt affect the acutal functionality of current Xooms, but still would have to make people who bought them wish they had waited a little.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Wow! They are already back to the drawing board like Samsung did?
  • Reply 5 of 58
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    I have yet to see a Xoom out in the wild. I travel two to three times per week, and all I see are people waiting for their planes using iPads, with the exception of one Dell Streak in--where else--Texas. I saw a family of four that had--wait a minute!--four iPads!
  • Reply 6 of 58
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

Man that sucks for the people who just bought the Xoom. The one year product upgrade cycles from Apple are bad enough, but less than 6 months? OUCH. I know this doesnt affect the acutal functionality of current Xooms, but still would have to make people who bought them wish they had waited a little.

I'm interested in how long Moto will support the Xoom if they do have really quick release cycles? One year tops, maybe...
  • Reply 7 of 58
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    it could be the drop in production is simply tied to slow sales.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    The obvious answer? Xoom with a slimmer profile and built-in LTE.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

This will be an ongoing problem with the clones in general and they struggle to find an iPad killer.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Motorola will reportedly reduce orders for its Xoom tablet starting in the second quarter of 2011, and no orders are apparently scheduled past June, suggesting a Xoom successor and newer competitor to Apple's iPad 2 is already in the works.

Or simply that no one is buying and the current supply on hand is enough to last indefinitely...
  • Reply 11 of 58
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Or simply that no one is buying and the current supply on hand is enough to last indefinitely...

Possibly.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Maybe next time they will actually finish the product before they start selling it.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This will be an ongoing problem with the clones in general and they struggle to find an iPad killer.

About a day before I go my iPad2 I got an email from Costco saying I could order a Xoom for 598.00 without a contract and it would ship April 1st. So something is going on.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Maybe next time they will actually finish the product before they start selling it.

Yeah I just posted that Costco had sent me an email pushing the Xoom for 598.00 without a contract. They were shipping them April 1st.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Who is buying these things? seriously...
  • Reply 16 of 58
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It is pretty difficult to just jump into the game at the very top as these competitors are attempting to do. Although Apple appeared to have leapt to the top of the smart phone market, it was actually a long well planned execution starting with iTunes, and the iPod ecosystem built over a period of several years that facilitated their success with iOS devices.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    That's just weird. If the Xoom was such a bad-ass, competitive product, why would it need a product revision this soon? It's not like the hardware is weak: losing some graphics benchmarks to the iPad 2 is nothing to be ashamed of. The other thing I don't get is the reduction in orders. Why do that if you anticipate stronger channel sales as the platform gains momentum?
  • Reply 18 of 58
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    That was quick. Another "iPad killer" bites the dust. Bring on the next victims and prepare to be slaughtered.

• Reply 19 of 58
    "no orders are apparently scheduled past June, suggesting a Xoom successor and newer competitor to Apple's iPad 2 is already in the works"

Or:

"no orders are apparently scheduled past June, suggesting Motorola has given up attempting to compete with Apple in the tablet space"

I kinda doubt the latter possibility, since the potential market for tablets is so overwhelming. But still...
  • Reply 20 of 58
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    This is the difference between Apple and the clowns out there.

Apple will build a product from the ground up with almost un-parallel precision of it and finish while the competition just trolls out a ME TO device.

Apple controls their hardware and software. On the other hand Moto and Sammy just cranks out hardware with a 3rd party OS and hopes for the best. And this will be a continuing themes throughout this tablet zeitgeist.