Apple may license AirPlay video streaming to third-party HDTV makers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Though AirPlay can currently be used to stream audio to compatible third-party devices, Apple may begin licensing the wireless streaming standard for video as well, according to a new report.

Citing two people familiar with the project, Bloomberg reported on Wednesday that Apple could allow other device makers to use AirPlay for "streaming movies, TV shows and other video content." One person reportedly said that such devices could be made available as soon as this year.

"An expanded AirPlay would let users stream programming wirelessly from an Apple mobile device to a TV that carries the technology," authors Cliff Edwards and Adam Satariano wrote. "That may spur wider use of Apple's services and devices in consumers' living rooms."

The strategy could negate the need for users to purchase Apple's $99 Apple TV set top box, currently the main beneficiary of the AirPlay standard. If HDTV makers were to integrate AirPlay into their products, it could also pour cold water on longstanding speculation that Apple intends to build its own connected high-definition television set in the near future.

If Apple does license video streaming with AirPlay, it would be an unusual step for the company, which typically does not license its software to other companies. However, with last year's announcement of AirPlay, Apple did reveal it was working with third-party device makers to allow integrated streaming audio compatible with the new standard. A handful of those products are already available on the market.

According to Bloomberg, those who sell AirPlay-compatible devices pay Apple $4 for each device sold, as part of the licensing agreement. It was also said that the existing AirPlay technology used by manufacturers allows for video to be streamed, though the licensing prevents it.

The report also said that Apple's chip partner for AirPlay, BridgeCo., has been working with "several TV makers" on future Web-connected HDTVs. However, it was not known whether the talks were to include AirPlay technology.

Apple has been quickly expanding the reach of AirPlay since it was first introduced late last year. The iOS 4.3 update for iPhone and iPad released earlier this month added the ability for third-party applications on the App Store to stream AirPlay video out to the Apple TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    imoanimoan Posts: 56member
    Right. Instead of partnering with an established company, Apple will start a new standard that has about as much of a chance of being adopted as Ping or pong or whatever it is.
  • Reply 2 of 91

Whoa...

This could be Huge!

• Reply 3 of 91
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Licensing AirPlay makes vastly more sense than building TVs.
  • Reply 4 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

Right. Instead of partnering with an established company, Apple will start a new standard that has about as much of a chance of being adopted as Ping or pong or whatever it is.

I would have thought that Apple is a pretty established company, at this point, and that television manufacturers might be happy to partner with them.

As far as low chances of adoption, tens of millions of AirPlay enabled devices say otherwise.
  • Reply 5 of 91
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This is in-a-way similar to them licensing Apple TV technology to be built into TV's. I suggested such a move as a good idea about 18 months ago and was scoffed at on these forums. What's new.
  • Reply 6 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That day will come. You'll see.
  • Reply 7 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This is in-a-way similar to them licensing Apple TV technology to be built into TV's. I suggested such a move as a good idea about 18 months ago and was scoffed at on these forums. What's new.

I though you were holding out for Apple branded TVs?
  • Reply 8 of 91
    Quote:

Have you used AirPlay?

What do you think it would mean to a student, an artist, a coach, a teacher, a performer or a business man...

If he could carry his essay, portfolio, press, lessons, work product etc. with him, everywhere, on an iPad -- and wherever he goes, there is a large screen TV (or TVs) that he can use to "strut his stuff"

Oh, and while I have you here... let me show you the latest home movies of the kids...

• Reply 9 of 91
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    What established company are you talking about? Who else has established a working wireless protocol for media streaming between devices?

Quote:

• Reply 10 of 91
    I agree. This is a prime opportunity for someone to make a box cheaper than AppleTV explicitly to receive Airplay signals for televisions.

Quote:

• Reply 11 of 91
    I don't see where it makes much sense for Apple to get into televisions.

Quote:

That day will come. You'll see.

• Reply 12 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I agree. This is a prime opportunity for someone to make a box cheaper than AppleTV explicitly to receive Airplay signals for televisions.

Given the size and cost of Apple TV, I would think someone could make an AirPlay dongle that wasn't much bigger and doesn't cost much more than an adapter. Certainly for less than Best Buy charges for a 6' HDMI cable. An easy add-on sale for any AirPlay enabled Apple devices.
  • Reply 13 of 91
    I do remember in on of those random Steve Jobs emails. He hinted that Airplay was eventually going to be open to everyone. That they were working on it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though AirPlay can currently be used to stream audio to compatible third-party devices, Apple may begin licensing the wireless streaming standard for video as well, according to a new report.

• Reply 14 of 91

SOT

Does anyone here know if the ATT iP4 tether to the iPad is better/worse, more/less expensive than the iPad data service?

I am particularly interested if the tethering service is month-to-month, as opposed to a contract.

I get lost visiting the ATT site -- its kinda' like the MSFT sites -- where they assume that all you do every day is read and follow what they post to the site.

• Reply 15 of 91
    Quote:

I though you were holding out for Apple branded TVs?

Yes, I did also say Apple would make their own TV. I still believe that. It would suit them as a company. They'd make an awesome TV and people would buy it. And if you couldn't afford the Apple Branded TV you could always go for the second best option of getting an Airplay enabled TV from many-another manufacturer.
  • Reply 16 of 91
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Given the size and cost of Apple TV, I would think someone could make an AirPlay dongle that wasn't much bigger and doesn't cost much more than an adapter. Certainly for less than Best Buy charges for a 6' HDMI cable. An easy add-on sale for any AirPlay enabled Apple devices.

AFICT, presently, it takes a CPU, some RAM (buffers), power -- maybe a GPU and a codec chip to receive AirPlay streams.

The interface is kind of odd, in that the AirPlay sender starts the process, but once connected the AirPlay receiver takes over and sucks the content from the AirPlay Senderi

That said, Apple has lots of experience and expertise to develop an ASIC or SOC/POP to do this.

It would be a lot cleaner and less expensive if the dongle (whatever) could get its power from the TV.

• Reply 17 of 91
    Quote:

I bet you didn't see the iPod coming from Apple either. It makes a lot of sense.
  • Reply 18 of 91
    Quote:

People just love dongles.
  • Reply 19 of 91
    Quote:

People just love dongles.

They like it better than having to replace their TV.
  • Reply 20 of 91
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

I agree. Especially if they can get the TV manufacturers to include their standard for wireless video streaming! IMHO, what they (Apple) really want is for iDevices to be that much more useable/attractive. If they had to introduce their own line of TVs they would end up only with the boutique market--maybe just barely better than nothing. If they can get manufacturers to support this, it could be big.