Spec: Look for updated PowerMacs February 19th

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    It won't be a quiet event. There's Gigawire, there's Raycer, there's GeForce 4, there's the new case (to match new keyboard/mouse) and there's speed. If these are G5s the this will be a very sweet event, if just fast G4s then the event will be sweet with the hoopla about everything but the speed.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: KidRed ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>I would actually rather it be a quiet update.. 1GHz is just not that "OMG WOW!" anymore. It would almost be embarrassing for Mr. Jobs to brag about it, call it "revolutionary," etc, this late in the game. It's catch-up time for the Power Macs, not exhibition. I mean, just think what all of the PC journalists and fanatics would have to say, they'd tear Apple to shreds for making a big deal out of something they've had for so long like it was brand new.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Would you say the same thing if it was a G5? (64 bit, DDR, GeForce4, etc.)
  • Reply 23 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>It won't be a quiet event. There's Gigawire, there's Raycer, there's GeForce 4, there's the new case (to match new keyboard/mouse) and there's speed. If these are G5s the this will be a very sweet event, if just fast G4s then the event will be sweet with the hoopla about everything but the speed.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: KidRed ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, I expect that if Apples next PM revision was just a minor speed bump that could have been fit in today without too much trouble (ala the iBook update). I don't know if it will have a G5, a Raycer Chip, or DDR memory but I expect that the new mixture will be notable enough to carry center stage at a big show.

I suspect that the PowerMac Titanium and the Pro towers might both get attention at the same time. Apple replaced or revised their entire consumer lineup today.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    If they were just doing a G4 speedbump I would agree that a quiet upgrade would be inorder...but if they had that in mind they would have done it today. The faster machines would have just showed up at the Apple Store. I think they did this once before, but I can't remember with what machine. The very fact they did not speedbump the Powermacs today leads me to believe they have a much more significant upgrade in mind. Hopefully to G5s, but I think at least to Apollo G4s, and more importantly faster Ram, faster video, faster system bus, etc. I think mostly they did not want to distract from the iMac buzz.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Yep that was the optimistic pessimistic view leading up to yesterday-

If speed bumps the G5 is close but not quite ready.

If Apollo and DDR added to G4 then the G5 is way off.

If nothing-Great news! Thaty means G5 or fast G4 with DDR, new bus, new case, Raycer, etc.

Curious-would Apple also hold off seeing that nVidia won't have their chip ready till Feb? How about a nice event end of Jan or first week of Feb?
  • Reply 26 of 56
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Look people...

Its not going to impress anyone unless Apple release a G4 or G5 processor at 2+ Ghz with 333 Mhz DDR Ram, a GeForce 3 standard, 512 MB Ram standard, and a hypertransport bus(just a wild dream) with a Raycer graphics accelerator.

If anything less... then who the bloody hell cares? You could go and buy a Dell with most of these specs for less than a PM anyway...

I sure hope Apple will compete with PC companies not only in terms of specs but also price!
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Apple will not announce something as large as the G5 at some small, low-key conference. Something that larger - a next generation chip, mind you - will be saved for MWNY 2002. This and MWSF have traditionally been the places for the larger announcements. Faster processor speeds and minor tweaks to existing product lines occur in MWJapan and MWParis/London.

From what I hear at most rumors sites is that the G5 is not ready yet nor will be finished until April, in time for two months of production before July.

If you're really itching to buy a new computer, don't hold out for a G5. Upgraded powermacs (low-level 850mhz possibly) will most likely poke there heads at MWJapan in 3 months.

For now, it's the iMac's turn to shine.

-Rob
  • Reply 28 of 56
    I disagree. I think a special event would be more appropriate. Good coverage, the event could solely focus on the towers. I think this is more likely then nothing til July, that's a year since the last rev, never happen.

We'll get something in a few weeks. AND I CAN'T WAIT!!
  • Reply 29 of 56
    don't bet on the g5 making the next powermac rev...

dual proc g4's across the board starting at 900+ mhz all with dvd-r, updated boards and new enclosure sounds more like it...
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Too late, I already bet on the G5s!!
  • Reply 31 of 56
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    after all this hype from apple consumer lineup, i think it's time to be a bit realistic...

So Apple Events, Seybold or MWTK ... whatever... something is coming, that 's a good thing and soon enough.

G4 with news Mobo: i think we deserve it. This is the specs from an Apple point of view.

All Dual : 800 / 1000 / 1200

Raycer: no

GigaWire: maybe

New Airport: no

Faster Bus: yes (266 or 400)

Faster RAM: yes

Faster ATA: yes (100 or 133?)

Faster Nvidia: yes (G3Ti200?)

SuperDrive for all: no

What do u think?

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: jeromba ]</p>
  • Reply 32 of 56
    naderbynaderby Posts: 131member
    I think Apple would want to 'spread the wealth' a little.

You can bet that the new iMac will bring in some well needed revenue this quarter. Maybe they want to hold the release of something as special as the G5 until the iMac's demand eases of a little.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    gnomgnom Posts: 85member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>Raycer, GeForce 4, G5</strong><hr></blockquote>

stop dreaming , you´re gonna be dissapointed again.

bye.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    I'd say we'll just get a regular speed bump soon, MWTK being my bet, speeds upped just as much as to beat the iMac again, ie 867 to 933 or maybe 1GHz, G4 of course, and the same boards, with the Dual config being the mid range speed again. As well as upping the PowerBooks to iMac levels.

I think Apple will hold off the G5 and the new boards, cases, chips, ports and all that for MWNY, I'm pretty sure. Changing basically everything on a desktop line might actually even result in a new name for the machine, although I can't think of anything suitable. MWNY will be the date of transition to 64bit, including OS 10.2 or whatever, being 64bit capable.

MWNY is going to be big, I'd even say bigger than MWSF we just had (which was mediocre).

G-News
  • Reply 35 of 56
    When is MWNY?
  • Reply 36 of 56
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    mmmh... is it possible that the new motherboar will be the same for a new G4 or a new G5 (six month later)?

When the G4 was released there was 2 mobo: One from the old gen and a new one...
  • Reply 37 of 56
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    I predict that G5s will be introduced withing 18 months, no later.

Until then, the powermac line is in trouble.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    How is it that Motorola practically flat out blabs about the next G4, and you are are still whining about a g5?

It's called Apollo. It's the 7460. And we'll see it within the next 45 days. Motorola has practically bragged about it.

The G5 is a (Ryan Meader's crack) pipe dream.

SdC
  • Reply 39 of 56
    g::mastag::masta Posts: 121member
    if the imac is now as powerful as the high-end tower, then surely they are gonna drop a new chip in an updated PM.. surely? hopefully?

and i don't think steve would let the G5 overshadow the new imac cos the imac is such an integral part of apple's profit. appease the public, then blow the pros out the water...

all hail steve & jonathan, congrats on a lovely new revolution.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]Seybold Seminars has not announced who IS keynoting, we will have to wait until they announce it. It still could be Steve Jobs. <hr></blockquote>

Apple has already announced that they are only doing 6 seminars at Seybold in NY. Apple also does not have as large as a booth as they usually do at shows like Seybold in SF.

Apple makes such a 'large' presence most years at Seybold because of it's close location to Apple. With other trade shows happening basically the week before, and the week after, don't look for Apple to present new Power Macs here.