Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Server: Apple replaces Samba for Windows networking services

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

No because SMB won't be part of Mac OS X as SMB refers to Samba.

SMB and SMB2 are defined by Microsoft. Apple has said they'll be rolling their own.. just not using the Samba solution.

So the guy asking if it would be more stable - the answer is it will be different, an all Apple solution (possibly licensed by Microsoft but who knows). Can't say if it'll work better or not.
  • Reply 22 of 107
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    And add native NTFS read/write support.

Common.
  • Reply 23 of 107
    mnbmnb Posts: 15member
    SMB stands for Server Message Block, not Samba. Samba's name was derived from the name of the protocol, SMB.
  • Reply 24 of 107
    ajmasajmas Posts: 600member
    I wonder if it would have made a difference if Samba was LGPL based? At the same time the limitation of GPLv3 is with any sort of patent or DRM that would limit implementation. This could have caused a road block for Apple in adding certain missing features b
  • Reply 25 of 107
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:

---

This is going to be super interesting and Lion is getting awesomer and awesomer in my eyes.

---

I would like to think so, but given that Apple regularly deletes people's data due to not being able to do data migration or synchronisation, I worry.
  • Reply 26 of 107
    Quote:

No because SMB won't be part of Mac OS X as SMB refers to Samba.

SMB is not Samba. SMB stands for Server Message Block, which is the protocol developed by IBM and Microsoft for networking on Windows and OS/2 (at the time it was being developed). Samba is the open source project that reverse engineered the protocol.

Just because Samba 3.x will not be included in Lion, it does not mean that SMB/CIFS support will be excluded. As stated in an earlier message, Apple could write their own code, license additional code from Microsoft, use the SMB2 spec which is documented by Microsoft to add SMB functionality, or fork the earlier version of Samba that is GPL2 licensed and add in their own code modifications under that license. Apple already uses some of the SMBFS file system that is licensed with the BSD license in Mac OS X, so there are a lot of options available.

So SMB performance and reliability could be improved in Lion, depending on the implementation method Apple uses.
  • Reply 27 of 107
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

NO you are WRONG !

you commentators are wrong about gpl2/3

about the reasons you think it's explaining why apple remove samba you are wrong : GPL 3 ask the same thing than GPL 2.

Really? So GPL3 is the same as GPL2? Then why the new version number?

And I notice that everyone else is providing references to support their claims while all you've provided is your own personal ranting.
  • Reply 28 of 107
    auclaucl Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Hmm, so I guess instead of SMB://<fileshare> it will be <whatever>://<fileshare> to connect to windows shares?

smb://<fileshare> and cifs://<fileshare> should continue to work.

It stands for Server Message Block (SMB), and Common Internet File System (CIFS).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block
  • Reply 29 of 107
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    So, how will Lion interact with Linux (or other Unix) computers? Which protocol can or will be used to connect to server shares on a Linux/Unix machine? And which protocol will be used to connect to Mac running Lion from a Linux/Unix machine?
  • Reply 30 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

So, how will Lion interact with Linux (or other Unix) computers? Which protocol can or will be used to connect to server shares on a Linux/Unix machine? And which protocol will be used to connect to Mac running Lion from a Linux/Unix machine?

For Linux/Unix I'd imagine you'd use NFS. OS X can share and connect to afp:, smb:, and nfs:.
  • Reply 31 of 107
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley View Post

For Linux/Unix I'd imagine you'd use NFS. OS X can share and connect to afp:, smb:, and nfs:.

I just checked back, all my mounted Linux drives are actually mounted via sftp (courtesy of FUSE/Macfusion/ExpanDrive).
  • Reply 32 of 107
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

I wonder if it would have made a difference if Samba was LGPL based? At the same time the limitation of GPLv3 is with any sort of patent or DRM that would limit implementation. This could have caused a road block for Apple in adding certain missing features b

That would have made a big difference.

It all matters on the software license of the software from Apple's stack and how it interacts with the shared software from the non-Apple stack.

For instance, WebCore and JavaScriptCore are under the LGPL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebKit

Quote:

Open-sourcing

On June 7, 2005, Safari developer Dave Hyatt announced on his weblog that Apple was open-sourcing WebKit (previously, only WebCore and JavaScriptCore were open source) and opening up access to WebKit's CVS tree and the bug Database tool.[13] This was announced at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference 2005 by Apple Senior Vice President of Software Engineering Bertrand Serlet.

In mid-December 2005 support for Scalable Vector Graphics was merged into the standard build[17] and in early January 2006 the source code was migrated from CVS to Subversion.

WebKit's JavaScriptCore and WebCore components are available under the GNU Lesser General Public License, while the rest of WebKit is available under a BSD-style license.

• Reply 33 of 107
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    This is actually great news.
  • Reply 34 of 107
    uhuuhu Posts: 1member
    That's very interesting. But are we sure, that this mean that the Lion Server has it's own AD Service included. Or does that mean, that the Lion Server will have some simple File sharing / mounting facilities and that a separate Windows Server has to be installed to run and handle the AD service functionalities?
  • Reply 35 of 107
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

it seems difficult to believe Apple can recreate a complete cifs stacks from scratch.

it's surely a fork of the samba project. else : wow !

Apple doing its own cifs stacks ? WOW ! it's already "wowah" like that.

New development for CIFS has been under GPLv3 for three or four years already. I can't believe Apple hasn't been working on this at least that long. In addition, there are several commercially available CIFS stacks. Apple is a $300B company, with $60B in cash in the bank: if there were a problem, Apple would just buy a CIFS implementation.
  • Reply 36 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

there are several commercially available CIFS stacks

Shhh....Telling the FSF zealot that some people actually create SW for money is like telling a kid that Santa Claus doesn't exist.

You must have crushed its spirit.
  • Reply 37 of 107
    Hoping for the best. Very frustrated trying to access Windows Home Server from my new Snow Leopard iMac... only my older macs running Leopard seem to be able to keep a connection to it.
  • Reply 38 of 107
    mbarriault wrote:

> "I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong"

Ok - you're wrong :-).

> "but the primary idealogical difference comes down to "source code must be available" covers

> in derived works. In GPLv2, you can use a source work, if you modify it then you have to

> provide source for those modifications, but if your code just works with it then you don't have

> to open-source your own code. Under GPLv3 you can't use an open-source component without > being entirely open-source yourself."

No, that's not true. You can easily use a GPLv3 component without being entirely open source. Google uses Samba, IBM uses Samba, EMC uses Samba, most of the small NAS boxes you can buy use Samba, all under GPLv3.

Jeremy.
  • Reply 39 of 107
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Shhh....Telling the FSF zealot that some people actually create SW for money is like telling a kid that Santa Claus doesn't exist.

Ha, you make him seem like "Martha M. Masters" in House MD...
  • Reply 40 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

No, actually we (the Samba Team) are quite cool with it. Apple makes their own commercial decisions to decide what's best for them. If they want to move away from GPL software, that is their right and we have no grounds for complaint.

I think they're wasting resources, as we (the Samba Team) will maintain a SMB/CIFS/SMB2/AD server for them if they want, but if they find our license unacceptable then they need to do what's right for their users.

We will still try and produce binaries for Samba 3.6.x and Samba 4.0.x (which will include full AD support) for users who wish to continue using Samba on OSX.

Jeremy.