International iPad 2 lines form as Apple begins taking online preorders

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Based on what happened in the U.S., I'm not at all surprised by the lines. If I were elsewhere and I wanted an iPad, I'd probably wait in a line, too. No telling how quickly they'll sell out and how long the wait will be to get one on-line. Keep in mind, 3-4 weeks in the US does *not* mean 3-4 weeks everywhere else. Many of the iPads are packaged specifically for that country.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Does the pre-order for Canada start at 1am Eastern or 1am Pacific? At what time did the pre-order for USA start?
  • Reply 23 of 52
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

Does the pre-order for Canada start at 1am Eastern or 1am Pacific? At what time did the pre-order for USA start?

It did say PST in the official press release but Australians can already order I hear... so god knows. I'd say refresh that page as of 1am, then every little while after.

Fact is they are just trying to keep their 'promise', the units are ready and waiting to be purchased.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Small Apple reseller ftw.

If early signs from across Europe prove correct, the best outlets to secure one of those babies tomorrow without having to sell your soul for it or lose your job is go the less traveled route...
  • Reply 25 of 52
    I think the price for the UK is cheaper than the same time last year? £399 for 16GB WiFi iPad 2. I am sure I bought one last year for £410+ ..
  • Reply 26 of 52
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

Still amazes me that Canada doesn't get everything the same time as the US. The two countries are as close to being one country as you can get and it's not like it costs more to ship to Ottowa or Vancouver, than say New York.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    hopejrhopejr Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

I hope you are aware that we use Euro to pay. It's 479? and so on for the WiFi model and 599? an so on for the 3G one

The prices they've quoted there are US only. 479? is about $680 (US) which is a huge premium. I thought the amount Aussies had to pay in excess ($30 taking GST into account) was stupid, but it's worse in Europe. The Aussie dollar is at parity with the US, so we shouldn't be paying more than $499 + GST = $549 (not $579) for the base model. With the volume of units imported, I doubt that duty for each unit is $30.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopejr View Post

The prices they've quoted there are US only. 479? is about $680 (US) which is a huge premium. I thought the amount Aussies had to pay in excess ($30 taking GST into account) was stupid, but it's worse in Europe. The Aussie dollar is at parity with the US, so we shouldn't be paying more than $499 + GST = $549 (not $579) for the base model. With the volume of units imported, I doubt that duty for each unit is $30.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

I hope you are aware that we use Euro to pay. It's 479? and so on for the WiFi model and 599? an so on for the 3G one

Groan. Here we go again.

Please complain to your politicians, and stop the whining. It's your taxes, mostly (apart from exchange rate volatility, pricing-to-market, higher retailing costs, prices of comparable electronic products, electronics recycling laws and other regulations whose costs are built in, etc. etc.).
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Still amazes me that Canada doesn't get everything the same time as the US. The two countries are as close to being one country as you can get and it's not like it costs more to ship to Ottowa or Vancouver, than say New York.

Mexico doesn't either.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    scroatscroat Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

I don't think it's about shipping cost or distance. It's about supply. They couldn't keep up with the demand in the states. Shipping to Canada or Mexico or any other country at the same time would have just further decreased supply.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Well, Apple's checkout system seems to be overwhelmed. I tried for more than 20minutes to get to checkout with my iPad 2 order and failed.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    scroatscroat Posts: 9member
    Well clearly u don't pay him till u come back and take the spot.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    I may or may not get one. But defiantly won't wait all day for one.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scroat View Post

Well clearly u don't pay him till u come back and take the spot.

No way the homeless guy will trust you to come back. They'll need money up front. Further, what would prevent the homeless guy from selling it to another person for > $50 before you show back up? It's just a bad idea all around IMO paying a stranger to stand in line.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

Well, Apple's checkout system seems to be overwhelmed. I tried for more than 20minutes to get to checkout with my iPad 2 order and failed.

What country store are you referring to?
  • Reply 36 of 52
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

What country store are you referring to?

Dutch. But I guess that all (European) Stores share a resource pool. This was between 2am and 2:30am Central European Time. I gave up and just now (7am) I tried again and the order went through easily.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    titusmtitusm Posts: 21member
    I was able to place my order tonight at 2:18 am local time, Germany. Estimated shipping date will be april, 27. Glad to get it before my summer holidays but much later than i have hoped for.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Still fixated on this obsolete analogy. We passed the bicycle-for-the-mind age in the 1980s, the truck-for-the-mind age in the 90s, the sports-car-for-the-mind age in the 00s. We're now using the ultralight airplane for the mind.

I'm not sure why you think my (Steve's really) analogy is obsolete. The saying "A computer is a bicycle for the mind," has nothing to do with bicycles, it merely refers to effort amplification. The actual machine in question could be anything. The fact that computers have gone through phases with emphasis on speed, then portability does not obsolete their role as an amplifier of the mind's power.

Me saying that Apple now produces "Tricycles for the mind," is merely a riff on Steve's original saying because I am annoyed that Apple is focussing on devices that I regard as fundamentally unserious. A moral hardworking person works most of the time, and yes, uses entertainment devices, but only to recharge with, not as the primary activity of their life, such as gaming or TV addicts. As a moral company Apple should follow the same pattern, focussing on the Mac with the iPad as secondary.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by titusm View Post

I was able to place my order tonight at 2:18 am local time, Germany. Estimated shipping date will be april, 27. Glad to get it before my summer holidays but much later than i have hoped for.

Order placed at around 1:10am Pacific time. Available: 2 to 3 weeks. Receive it: within 8-12 business days after by Standard Shipping.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    It was 4:15 EDT and I placed my order for my 32GB WiFi iPad 2 with a black leather Smart Cover. I will get around 2 weeks after it ships which takes 2-3 weeks. No glitch whatsoever during the order, though.

I'm not crazy enough to go do the queue. Waking up in the middle of the night is well enough!