Do Apple retail stores have a policy on unaccompanied kids?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I saw 3 unaccompanied (by parents) African American kids turned away at the downtown Philly Apple Store by Apple's white rent a cop (PPD, not a security guard). Someone told me Apple does not admit kids unless they're accompanied by a parent or adult guardian. However I see lots of unaccompanied teens at the Apple store in Ardmore, a wealthy Philly suburb. Of course they're almost all white, and likely from wealthy families. These kids were well-behaved and not wearing gang colors. I realize Philly has had some problems with packs of rampaging teens in the last few years, but 3 does not make a potential wilding.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    I'm sure it's store by store. I'd bet they can discriminate on age but not on race. Few too many iPods turned up missing I'm sure.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I'm sure it's store by store. I'd bet they can discriminate on age but not on race. Few too many iPods turned up missing I'm sure.

If you see white kids at the SAME store being admitted freely without a guardian, there's a problem. Likewise, if these urban kids go out to the store where those white kids are admitted and they're turned away, then there's also a problem.

Apple has the right to do this store by store based on local crime statistics.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Problem is I see a difference in behavior

The white kids I see tend to be pretty quiet and basically group up and make faces in Photo Booth or on Facebook.

Unfortunately the young African Americans i've seen tend to go a bit overboard and start blasting inappropriate music via You Tube or some other source.

That's probably why the three Philly "yoots" go the boot.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

If you see white kids at the SAME store being admitted freely without a guardian, there's a problem. Likewise, if these urban kids go out to the store where those white kids are admitted and they're turned away, then there's also a problem.

Apple has the right to do this store by store based on local crime statistics.

Okay so sue them.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by evaness View Post

I saw 3 unaccompanied (by parents) African American kids turned away at the downtown Philly Apple Store by Apple's white rent a cop (PPD, not a security guard). Someone told me Apple does not admit kids unless they're accompanied by a parent or adult guardian. However I see lots of unaccompanied teens at the Apple store in Ardmore, a wealthy Philly suburb. Of course they're almost all white, and likely from wealthy families. These kids were well-behaved and not wearing gang colors. I realize Philly has had some problems with packs of rampaging teens in the last few years, but 3 does not make a potential wilding.

Why does everything have to be equated with either Black or White all the time?There should be a policy that children under a certain age should be accompanied with an adult.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scophone View Post

I support

!!!!!!!!!!

you are 100% correct.That is apple's store policy.Let customers abide by it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by evaness View Post

I saw 3 unaccompanied (by parents) African American kids turned away at the downtown Philly Apple Store by Apple's white rent a cop (PPD, not a security guard).

Did he turn them away at the request of the store, the mall or at his own discretion? Unless you know you are just assuming and making stuff up. Did they have a prior incident of which you were not aware? Did you look into the store and see no other African-American kids of any sort in there?

Quote:

Someone told me Apple does not admit kids unless they're accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.

This is called gossip.

Quote:

However I see lots of unaccompanied teens at the Apple store in Ardmore, a wealthy Philly suburb.

This isn't even the same store, mall or security guard. This is called comparing apples and oranges.

Quote:

Of course they're almost all white, and likely from wealthy families. These kids were well-behaved and not wearing gang colors. I realize Philly has had some problems with packs of rampaging teens in the last few years, but 3 does not make a potential wilding.

This is called stirring the pot.