Samsung caught presenting actors as Galaxy Tab "consumers," fudging thinnest tablet claims

Comments

• Reply 41 of 188
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Actually, Long and Hodgeman are avid Mac users

Quote:
    Originally Posted by euler View Post

What's next? Are we to find out that Justin Long is not really a Mac?

I assumed that everyone in commercials was an actor!

• Reply 42 of 188
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    That Zoll think I linked to earlier is just a little video teaser bit. The entire keynote (part 1 of 6) starts here. That keynote left me with the impression that Samsung is actually sinister.
  • Reply 43 of 188
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    What's the deal behind the "thinnest tablet" claim?

I saw the side by side pictures and the iPad2 is clearly thinner than the "new and improved", not yet on the market Samsung tablet.

The iPad2 is 8.8 mm and the Samsung is 8.6 mm. Does Samsung not know how to measure properly? Are they lying? Because 8.8 mm is clearly less than 8.6 mm based on the side by side pictures.

What ingenious idea will all of the Apple competitors think of next? Will they hire tens of thousands of people to stand in line all around the world, pretending to be lining up for the next "iPad Killer"?
  • Reply 44 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theblackswan View Post

I am posting this because people seem to have forgotten iPad video at the keynote. All real people, and many have said the same stuff many months before Apple even approached them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpiVeC1Z3yI

http://www.blogher.com/ipad-nearmiracle-my-son-autism

This is how it's done. In fact, I find Samsung trying to copy that, just like the specs.

Yup, agree.

Samsung just panicked when iPad 2 introduced and how thin it really is, even Samsung's new Galaxy Tab 10.1 prototype is not that thin.

PS: don't take this the wrong way, but what's up with the nickname? Did you just watched Black Swan the movie?

Oh and by the way, what took you so long to post since February, welcome to the forum. Be prepared for some serious trolling and lots of silly arguments..
  • Reply 45 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Actually, Long and Hodgeman are avid Mac users

Yeah, but it does not matter much for ads which are marketed as ads, as opposed to promotional stuff which is deemed authentic and said to be based on real life testimonials.
  • Reply 46 of 188
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Did you just watched Black Swan the movie?

Mila Kunis is hot. She can play with my iPad anytime she wants.
  • Reply 47 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Yup, agree.

Samsung just panicked when iPad 2 introduced and how thin it really is, even Samsung's new Galaxy Tab 10.1 prototype is not that thin.

PS: don't take this the wrong way, but what's up with the nickname? Did you just watched Black Swan the movie?

Oh and by the way, what took you so long to post since February, welcome to the forum. Be prepared for some serious trolling and lots of silly arguments..

Thank you. About the nickname, its the book, not the movie. And it's a great book, especially so if you are working under uncertainty.
  • Reply 48 of 188
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

"Given that the device does not actually turn on yet, real gains in productivity would be rather surprising.?

Classic.

Placebo effect ...?
  • Reply 49 of 188
    So just how crazy might Samsung be? They don't seem to feel that they need to be particularly honest about their products, I'm wondering if they even have a product to put in the case they're showing?

I mean, it's only been a few weeks since they got a look at the iPad 2. Are we supposed to believe they actually reengineered the Tab 10.1 to be half as thick in that time? Of course not.

What appears to have happened is that they mocked up a case and trotted it out with some fanfare just to eke out a little mindshare. And I'm guessing right now there are a bunch of Samsung engineers tearing their hair out because management told them if they couldn't squeeze the guts of the old machine into the new case by June they'd all be out of jobs.

Like I say, crazy, but everything I'm seeing from Samsung lately suggests that they figure they can say pretty much anything they like, without much reference to reality.
  • Reply 50 of 188
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    This is one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen from a non-Microsoft company.

Even the words that pop up as the actors are speaking have errors. Apparently the director 'love making movie'.

It's all just so bad I can hardly watch...yet I'm compelled to like some driver passing a bad crash lol
  • Reply 51 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Mila Kunis is hot. She can play with my iPad anytime she wants.

Hubba, hubba..

Didn't really like her when she's at 'That 70's Show', but boy she's changing from cheeky to sexy every then and now. But hey, that's another thread at different forum to discuss..
  • Reply 52 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theblackswan View Post

Thank you. About the nickname, its the book, not the movie. And it's a great book, especially so if you are working under uncertainty.

Yer welcome

Under uncertainty?

OT everyone.. Sorry.
  • Reply 53 of 188
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So just how crazy might Samsung be? They don't seem to feel that they need to be particularly honest about their products, I'm wondering if they even have a product to put in the case they're showing?

I mean, it's only been a few weeks since they got a look at the iPad 2. Are we supposed to believe they actually reengineered the Tab 10.1 to be half as thick in that time? Of course not.

What appears to have happened is that they mocked up a case and trotted it out with some fanfare just to eke out a little mindshare. And I'm guessing right now there are a bunch of Samsung engineers tearing their hair out because management told them if they couldn't squeeze the guts of the old machine into the new case by June they'd all be out of jobs.

Like I say, crazy, but everything I'm seeing from Samsung lately suggests that they figure they can say pretty much anything they like, without much reference to reality.

That?s the craziest thing of it all. Why couldn?t they make their mockup 8.6mm? It?s staying plugged in, just reduce the battery size or not include one at all. I don?t get it? but then to lie about the thickness just to beat the iPad 2 as if a mockup today will somehow equate to a real product in the future that people will remember was thinner and therefore choose to buy? I?m dumbfounded!

It?s so fraking odd silly and stupid that I can?t help but think this is all a joke or some misunderstanding. How do you became the size of Samsung whilst doing shit like this?

PS: Using Apple?s iPad 2 event that repeatedly attacked the other tablet makers harshly and the other vendor?s tablets we have seen so far and in the works, I?m going to predict the iPad will be another iPod in market share dominance, will overtake the Mac in revenue and profit this year, and will overtake the iPhone in revenue in profit by 2014.
  • Reply 54 of 188
    Quote:

IMO that's the big difference of Apple and Samsung, and the rest of the other tech companies out there. Steve Jobs always push for the best whenever they can do it even though it's only almost a year since the original iPad launched.

If, Samsung able to launch the actual product of the re-engineered Galaxy Tab 10.1, like you said up there, then for me personally it only make Samsung look more bad. Because that means they can actually make a better product, but chose not to. And that's bad, especially for users who choose their products instead of Apple's.
  • Reply 55 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That’s the craziest thing of it all. Why couldn’t they make their mockup 8.6mm? It’s staying plugged in, just reduce the battery size or not include one at all. I don’t get it… but then to lie about the thickness just to beat the iPad 2 as if a mockup today will somehow equate to a real product in the future that people will remember was thinner and therefore choose to buy? I’m dumbfounded!

It’s so fraking odd silly and stupid that I can’t help but think this is all a joke or some misunderstanding. How do you became the size of Samsung whilst doing shit like this?

Yes! Exactly! I mean, RIM, it's like they're kind of a mom and pop shop that hit on a single, hugely successful angle, and now that they have to act like a real company they seem a bit insular. I get that.

But Samsung? I wonder if it has something to do with making relatively anonymous products-- people tend not to have a personal relationship with their televisions or DVD players. You just do the engineering, hire an ad agency, and there you go.

But now they find themselves all caught up in the mobile market, and they can tell from Apple's success that they're supposed to have some kind of vision that relates to "what people want." And as a company that's not really their thing, so they're laying on the dancers and synergy and building the future stuff, except it's all tone deaf and off-putting and wrong.

MS used to do a lot of this, but Samsung is worse. MS just kind of came off as clueless, Samsung is coming off as scary. And to think you could stick an empty case out there and then lie about how thick it is, as if you think everyone is so dazzled by your omnipotence they'd never bother to think about it...... I mean, Samsung is a South Korean country, right?

Quote:

PS: Using Apple’s iPad 2 event that repeatedly attacked the other tablet makers harshly and the other vendor’s tablets we have seen so far and in the works, I’m going to predict the iPad will be another iPod in market share dominance, will overtake the Mac in revenue and profit this year, and will overtake the iPhone in revenue in profit by 2014.

Yeah. I'm starting to think the runaway success of Android on handsets has been masking some fundamental inability to execute on the part of all the plausible rivals. I don't think Motorola or RIM or Samsung (let alone Asus or LG etc) have the faintest idea how to build or market a tablet that people actually want, beyond yelling "Honeycomb!" and putting that fracking robot on everything.
  • Reply 56 of 188
    that video was awful. the intros, the content, the whiteness of the actors' eyes....yeesh....

what are they trying to sell? the utility/market of/for a tablet?? (I think another company has proven that pretty well). I mean it's a classical advertising/rhetorical set up....but seriously? now? maybe in 1999. wow.
  • Reply 57 of 188
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:

That Zoll think I linked to earlier is just a little video teaser bit. The entire keynote (part 1 of 6) starts here. That keynote left me with the impression that Samsung is actually sinister.

The keynote Samsung themselves labelled 'mind-blowing'...

...well they got that right!! haha
  • Reply 58 of 188
    Quote:

some misunderstanding.

Maybe its "smooth" not "small" all over again. They were mistranslated. They actually meant 8.6 in, and were talking about the screen size...etc...etc...

What I find hilarious is to hear the absolute silence from the Fandroids who couldn't stop talking about Jobs' "selling in volume" a lie, because they were unwilling to accept that the word volume could have more than 1 definition.
  • Reply 59 of 188
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    I guess you guys are not late night TV watchers. Haven't you ever seen those long infomercials? That's what the Samsung video looked like to me. Actors posing as the real thing. With a make believe audience too. Well, maybe the audience was real. They didn't clap probably because they were just dumb founded!
  • Reply 60 of 188
    Quote:

That’s the craziest thing of it all. Why couldn’t they make their mockup 8.6mm? It’s staying plugged in, just reduce the battery size or not include one at all. I don’t get it… but then to lie about the thickness just to beat the iPad 2 as if a mockup today will somehow equate to a real product in the future that people will remember was thinner and therefore choose to buy? I’m dumbfounded!

It’s so fraking odd silly and stupid that I can’t help but think this is all a joke or some misunderstanding. How do you became the size of Samsung whilst doing shit like this.

True. That's because Samsung is not a tech company that invent new devices, they just tally along to make the most popular and hype ones in the market. This last 'desperate' actions just prove that..