Apple releases iOS 4.3.1 with minor fixes for cell networks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    After the b^%h of a time upgrading my wife's iPhone 4 to 4.3, kinda reluctant to go to 4.3.1.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Who f$&@(?g cares about your comment YAWN.

For some it's important fandroid

Funny seeing all the comments i got from the apple fanboys. You guys crack me up. Defending it like u own 1 million shares of apple stock.

Read the updates and i don't think they warrant an update. Apple puts out these updates to battle the jailbreakers.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    spuditspudit Posts: 49member
    Hoping for the battery fix for a 3GS. Gone through the motions turning off unused features, but it is still draining near twice as fast as before 4.3. No issues with the IP4.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member
    how can i enable multi gestures on iPhone 4 (4.3.1)?

i don't wanna jailbreak, can i do it from xcode? i tried but i can't find any options...
  • Reply 25 of 47
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spudit View Post

Hoping for the battery fix for a 3GS. Gone through the motions turning off unused features, but it is still draining near twice as fast as before 4.3. No issues with the IP4.

yes, i'm def noticing faster battery drain as well (3GS). even with ping turned off.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

If it was expected within two weeks and was released within two weeks, how was it "unexpected"?

Because with Apple when they're releasing something "within" a time frame it typically means at the very end of that time frame.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    franckfranck Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

Because with Apple when they're releasing something "within" a time frame it typically means at the very end of that time frame.

That's not specific to Apple.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

Funny seeing all the comments i got from the apple fanboys. You guys crack me up. Defending it like u own 1 million shares of apple stock.

Read the updates and i don't think they warrant an update. Apple puts out these updates to battle the jailbreakers.

I have a 3GS, and have noticed lately that my battery has been draining faster than usual. I didn't realize that it could be because of the iOS update, but it only started after that update.

So I'm glad for this information.

And if it hasn't been helpful to you, mediocre8sean.....then p*ss off....
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

I'm not alone!

iOS 4.3.1 doesn't seem to have affected the weaker WiFi signal reading on my iPhone 4. Upon waking, it frequently shows 3G briefly before indicating it's connected to my home WiFi network, and then the indicator fluctuates between two and three bars. The Time Capsule base station is roughly 40 feet away and an AirPort Express is downstairs extending the network (almost directly below the iPhone 4, about 15 feet away). The strange indicator behavior is definitely a recent phenomenon, beginning coincidentally about the time I installed iOS 4.3.

Oddly though, my iPhone 3G (running iOS 4.2.1) now consistently reads two bars when it used to always show full strength. Meanwhile, my original iPhone still shows full bars for WiFi signal strength. Still, Speed Test shows all the iPhones are communicating normally, so? I dunno. "It vexes me. I'm terribly vexed."
  • Reply 30 of 47
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Every once in a while I would tap onto app icon, or button etc and it would not be picked up. It's like iPhone is daydreaming for a while and only responds the second time? This is definitely new in iOS 4.3.1 for me.

Also, choppy (or completely missing) splash screen on app startup is still not fixed. Overall, 4.3 has made things a lot worse when it comes to animation stability. 4.2.1 used to be smooth as butter but now not so much. I was hoping this would not happen to iPhone 4 so soon, but apparently it's not the latest gadget any more and priority and code optimization has moved on to A5 based devices (iPad 2 and yet to be released iPhone 5).
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Overall, 4.3 has made things a lot worse?

Just checked Apple's support pages. Some people are definitely having a few issues with iOS 4.3.x. One user said a clean install on his iPhone 4 solved his problems. If my little quirks continue, I may give that a try.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    How long does it take to upgrade from IOS 4.2.1 to IOS 4.3.1?

How do you revert back to a previous version?
  • Reply 33 of 47
    km5gnkm5gn Posts: 1member
    My iPhone updated fine, but my iPad says 4.2 is the latest version. I thought it was a quirk with 4.3, so I waited till 4.3.1 and still the same message. Any ideas what's up with that?
  • Reply 34 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by km5gn View Post

My iPhone updated fine, but my iPad says 4.2 is the latest version. I thought it was a quirk with 4.3, so I waited till 4.3.1 and still the same message. Any ideas what's up with that?

Just download it manually and point iTunes to it.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    While iOS 4.3.1 did improve the battery life on both my 4G iPod touch and iPad 2, was it really necessary to download over 600 MB of code just to do this incremental upgrade?

I'm hoping that starting with iOS 5.0 Apple redesigns the upgrade process so the upgrades can be done on an incremental basis (that's how Google does it with upgrades to the Chrome web browser) and/or poll the installed software to determine just how big an update you need (that's how Microsoft does it with the Service Packs for Windows XP/Vista/7).
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Dropped calls....pitiful. Maybe Apple can make up for AT&Ts short-comings....

• Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:

Funny how we get updates and the vast majority of Android devices can only be updated when you buy a new phone. Or six months after Google releases the software.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

Apple does not say they are releasing "within a time frame".

That it something is even being released is simply speculation by whomever.

Why not simply say, "it will be released on a certain date"?
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

I've been having wifi issues on my 3GS, with nothing else changing but the upgrade to 4.3 on multiple wifi networks.

Its like the 3gs doesn't see wifi networks (or doesn't see more than one in a multi wifi network environment), and then maybe it will see one briefly, then maybe it'll connect or maybe it won't, then once it is connected its a weak signal (2 bars max) even if its in the same room as the router (usually Airport Extremes or my Time Capsule, but any wifi network really). Then after a while the connection will cease to work, but still shows as connected, so I have to switch off the wifi. This is while my mbp is connected and works fine the whole time. Frustrating. Everything else is constant in all these locations and has worked flawlessly for over a year.

Can't wait to get home and see if this gets fixed, I sure hope its not the hardware, because that would suck.

I couldn't agree more. I called Support and they mentioned that they have been receiving calls for awhile on this issue...I don't know what that means, but I assume it means they know about the issue and are preparing a fix...??
  • Reply 40 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

...?

Which is why the 4.3 jailbreak wasn't released until this update. Nothing Apple can do about it now.