OSX snow leopard or Lion?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hey all.......am thinking about upgrading my os and am not sure if I should wait for Lion or just get SNow Leopard. My main question is, will Lion have significant advantages over Snow or is it more flash bits than anything else. I also wonder if Snow Leopard will be put to bed quickly because of the new OS coming out. I am using 10.5.8 right now. What do you all think?Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishjelly View Post

hey all.......am thinking about upgrading my os and am not sure if I should wait for Lion or just get SNow Leopard. My main question is, will Lion have significant advantages over Snow or is it more flash bits than anything else. I also wonder if Snow Leopard will be put to bed quickly because of the new OS coming out. I am using 10.5.8 right now. What do you all think?Thanks

Lion should have some pretty major changes that won't necessarily be apparent at first. The fullscreen mode for apps will be quite a big deal when it comes to touch.

It seems quite clear they are gearing OS X x86 for full touch support.

- combined exposé, dashboard, spaces so it can be reached by one touch gesture e.g 4-finger swipe.

- app launcher no longer requires you to use the Finder to open apps. Being able to navigate a hierarchy in stacks added in SL does similar thing for files.

Quicktime is getting a big overhaul so you will see some changes with that - might get editing features for free (hopefully).

It does drop Rosetta so check if you use any PPC apps as they will no longer work.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    If you're able to get Snow Leopard for $30, then I think it would probably be worth it for the next three or four or six months (sometimes people like to wait after an OS has been out for a couple of months).

For Lion: maybe you could be one of these [simply unfathomable] people that see a preview of Lion's features on YouTube or somewhere and not be too interested, but I certainly think that it will be worth having. I'm personally a fan of fullscreen Safari and updated Preview alone.

You could look at some more previews and information about Lion first, but I do think that $30 for Snow Leopard would be a good thing. SL certainly won't be abandoned and unusable by the end of the year or into next (you've been using Leopard for the past year+ just fine, I guess?).