comparing processors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have never owned a Mac, and am considering buying one. My current desktop is over 5 years old and has an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 GHz. I am wandering if the processor available in the 13" Macbook Air is comparable: 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I know this is not anywhere near the best performing Macbook, but the specs are otherwise better than or equal to what I currently have on my 5 year old HP Pavillion (250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, etc.). I just do not know anything about the processors, and so I cannot determine if the price is worth the effort. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    CPU - Core 2 Duo 2.13GHZ will be much, much faster than your desktop CPU

RAM - Yes 2GB is the same amount but it is much faster memory than your desktop RAM

Hard Disk - MacBook Air uses flash memory so it is much, much faster than your desktop hard disk

Plus, you'll be using Mac OS X, a very efficient operating system, totally different from Windows.

BTW What do you plan to use your MacBook Air for?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

CPU - Core 2 Duo 2.13GHZ will be much, much faster than your desktop CPU

RAM - Yes 2GB is the same amount but it is much faster memory than your desktop RAM

Hard Disk - MacBook Air uses flash memory so it is much, much faster than your desktop hard disk

Plus, you'll be using Mac OS X, a very efficient operating system, totally different from Windows.

BTW What do you plan to use your MacBook Air for?

Primarily as an internet surfing tool, and for creating documents for school (writing assignments). I am also concerned about the functionality of iWorks. I know that it can save documents as a Word file, but I think I have read that there may be problems with the font styles and other formatting if you try to open an iWorks document with Word.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msnijin View Post

Primarily as an internet surfing tool, and for creating documents for school (writing assignments). I am also concerned about the functionality of iWorks. I know that it can save documents as a Word file, but I think I have read that there may be problems with the font styles and other formatting if you try to open an iWorks document with Word.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, of course. So test it, IRL, with your parameters (font styles and other formatting). Then you'll know for sure.

As an alternative you could create your Word files in... Word! Because Micro$oft's "Office for Mac" suite is of course 100% compatible with the Windows versions.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thank you nvidia2008 and Parttimer!! It looks like I'm just gonna have to buy one!!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msnijin View Post

Thank you nvidia2008 and Parttimer!! It looks like I'm just gonna have to buy one!!

Go for the MacBook Air as you specified, it is quite capable for your needs. As for documents you will have to use Office 2011 for Mac if you want all the formatting retained for 99.9% compatibility exchanging documents with other Office users.

But if you are making documents or presentations to export as PDF or present from your MacBook Air, iWork '09 is very nice.

Enjoy...