Apple hires prominent Quartz Composer plugin author

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple has hired Christopher Wright of Kineme Interactive Media, the creator of a variety of Quartz Composer applications and plugins and a consultant for Quartz Composer development, AppleInsider has discovered.

The hiring is an apparent effort to expand the utility of Apple's Quartz Composer, which is a free graphical development tool for building interactive visuals called Quartz Compositions.

Quartz Composer in Mac OS X

Mac OS X uses Quartz Compositions for everything from screen saver modules to iTunes' music visualizations to video transition effects in iMovie and image and video filter effects that can be applied by a variety of applications such as Photo Booth and iChat.

Applications can also embed compositions created with Quartz Composer, and Automator actions can be used to render Quartz Compositions as still images or QuickTime movies. Apple's Quartz Composer WebKit plugin also enables developers to include compositions into their Dashboard widgets and web pages.

Apple acquired the foundation of its Quartz Composer from Pierre-Olivier Latour, who had developed his original PixelShox Studio as a tool for creating complex, interactive video effects. The package was then made available for free to Mac OS X Tiger users.

Working with Quartz Composer

The Quartz Composer package exposes a variety of powerful GPU technologies within Mac OS X's Quartz Graphics layer, including OpenGL, OpenCL, Core Image and Core Video.

The Quartz Composer app, which is bundled with Apple's Xcode tools, makes it easy to create or customize compositions by linking together "patches" visually.

Patches can be Consumers, which render a visualization to the screen; Processors, which compute data at set intervals or in response to changing input values; or Providers, which act as external inputs, allowing users to create visuals that respond to mouse movements or new information posted to an Internet RSS feed, for example.

Mac OS X Leopard introduced Quartz Composer 3.0, which allowed third parties to develop their own custom plugins to expand the tool's capabilities.

The future of Quartz Composer

Apple's interest in hiring one of the most prominent Quartz Composer developers outside of the company indicates that it has new plans for the tool, which may include creating new tools for building dynamic content to enhance iTunes LP and iTunes Extras and websites.

At Kineme, Write developed a 3D plugin for Quartz Composer to support the import of 3D models, which can then be animated and rendered using its particle, fog, and lighting effects. Kineme also developed Art-Net patches for enabling Quartz Composer to send and receive data from external consoles and lighting systems. Another tool, QuartzBuilder, enables developers to convert their compositions into standalone apps.

Apple already uses Quartz Composer to create signage and visuals in its retail stores and at its events, including large scale motion graphics that span multiple displays. It would make sense that the company would eventually productize the technology to enable other retailers to create their own dynamic visuals. Quartz Composer is also used by "video jockeys" to create interactive visuals linked to art and music performances.

Apple currently doesn't support Quartz Composition playback on the iPhone due to the device's limited processor and graphics capabilities (Quartz Compositions make heavy use of a system's GPU), but advances in chip technologies may find applications for the technology in Apple's mobile platforms in the future as well.

Daniel Eran Dilger is the author of "Snow Leopard Server (Developer Reference)," a new book from Wiley.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

At Kineme, Write developed a 3D plugin for Quartz Composer

That probably should be "Wright", eh?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    I wonder if Apple is considering developing a tool for authoring HTML5 canvas animations as a Flash competitor.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple currently doesn't support Quartz Composition playback on the iPhone due to the device's limited processor and graphics capabilities (Quartz Compositions make heavy use of a system's GPU), but advances in chip technologies may find applications for the technology in Apple's mobile platforms in the future as well.

Coming to the iPad in your hand.

This is great news. I'd like to see Apple demonstrate this technology in a game (I'm not a gamer myself) and in doing so, demonstrate some of the possibilities of their technologies. Apple now controls the processor technology in its next mobile platform and eventually will control this technology in its range of mobile devices. Apple controls the platform design and of course, the operating system. Dare I say that the iPad is truly revolutionary? \
  • Reply 4 of 13
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Daniel Eran Dilger is the author of "Snow Leopard Server (Developer Reference)," a new book from Wiley.

Nothing personal, but I find this advertisement at the end of all of Daniel's articles to be just tacky, tacky, tacky. Especially since this article (and most of those that carry the advertisement), has absolutely nothing to do with Snow Leopard Server.

PS - Being an expert at Snow Leopard server is not exactly something to crow about either. It's an achievement yes, but on the tree of technical achievements it's really quite low hanging fruit isn't it?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    You got your two cents worth in!

And I must say, I didn't even notice that line at the end of the story. But now you've mentioned it, and I've mentioned it, and we've all noticed how whiny and sour grapes you sound. Now everyone is thinking "hmm, if its "low handing fruit" why didn't Gooberzee write it? and if its "nothing to crow about" why is Gooberzee crowing about it?"

Hmm?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Nothing personal, but I find this advertisement at the end of all of Daniel's articles to be just tacky, tacky, tacky. Especially since this article (and most of those that carry the advertisement), has absolutely nothing to do with Snow Leopard Server.

PS - Being an expert at Snow Leopard server is not exactly something to crow about either. It's an achievement yes, but on the tree of technical achievements it's really quite low hanging fruit isn't it?

• Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

I wonder if Apple is considering developing a tool for authoring HTML5 canvas animations as a Flash competitor.

Probably
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

Probably

iWeb '11
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

iWeb '11

That would be so great if iWeb could make websites that look great on iPhones and iPads as well as Desktop browsers. There could be widgets for this Quartz stuff and HTML5 video. :-)
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quartz Composer on the iPad, makes a lot of sense to me!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Would really love it if they made it easier for the apple-tv to act as a digital signage driver. At our office, it just runs the screen saver with our clients logos... Not ideal.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    According to this posting of Mr. Christopher Wright he was bounced from Apple in Oct.2009

http://perpendiculo.us/?p=155

• Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markhouston View Post

According to this posting of Mr. Christopher Wright he was bounced from Apple in Oct.2009

http://perpendiculo.us/?p=155

http://perpendiculo.us/?p=165

Perhaps reading to the end would help. He works for Apple now.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quartz composer is awesome.

Now, a year later, Lion is coming soon, I wonder what the next iteration will look like. Is it already available in the developer's preview?

Anyways, it's really powerful, and I hope they let it stay modular an cool!