chirping sound

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
All of a sudden I hear a chirping sound coming out of my new MBP 13 inch 2010 model.What can this problem be?How about Marvin I am sure you know the answer.You are a knowledgeble person.How about you Marvin you are an expert on computer problems I read your answers.thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

All of a sudden I hear a chirping sound coming out of my new MBP 13 inch 2010 model.What can this problem be?How about Marvin I am sure you know the answer.You are a knowledgeble person.How about you Marvin you are an expert on computer problems I read your answers.thanks

"Chirping" could be hard drive or anything else thats moving in your MBP, cd etc... if its less than a year take it to an Apple Store...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

As mentioned above, the hard drive is a likely cause of chirping. If it goes away when the hard drive spins down, you can be sure that's what it is. If it keeps going when the drive is spun down, it could be one of the fans. Since it's new, it may correct itself the more you use it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RepairZoom View Post

"Chirping" could be hard drive or anything else thats moving in your MBP, cd etc... if its less than a year take it to an Apple Store...

I took it there today and he said when I power it up the optical drive makes a sound and than the hard drive starts to kick in.He said this is normal.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

I took it there today and he said when I power it up the optical drive makes a sound and than the hard drive starts to kick in.He said this is normal.

Is the chirping sound persistent while the machine is on or does it just happen during boot up?

The optical drive makes a noise when you start the machine which is normal. If the hard drive is making a regular squeaking noise, then it's not common to all drives but it doesn't mean it's a malfunctioning drive. Just the bearings not lubricated enough.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Is the chirping sound persistent while the machine is on or does it just happen during boot up?

The optical drive makes a noise when you start the machine which is normal. If the hard drive is making a regular squeaking noise, then it's not common to all drives but it doesn't mean it's a malfunctioning drive. Just the bearings not lubricated enough.

It makes a sound when I boot up the MBP and than nothing after that.Thanks
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

It makes a sound when I boot up the MBP and than nothing after that.Thanks

If it sounds like the following it's normal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrEE6Wy1Fmw
  • Reply 7 of 10
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    EDIT: never mind, old news.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If it sounds like the following it's normal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrEE6Wy1Fmw

Thanks Marvin I watched and heard this video and it is exactly the same sound I have completely.I am reassured now it is normal.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

EDIT: never mind, old news.

Some people are novices at Mac have some consideration
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Cricket chirping

The sound emitted by crickets is commonly referred to as chirping; the scientific name is stridulation. Only the male crickets chirp. The sound is emitted by the stridulatory organ, a large vein running along the bottom of each wing, covered with "teeth" (serration) much like a comb. The chirping sound is created by running the top of one wing along the teeth at the bottom of the other wing. As he does this, the cricket also holds the wings up and open, so that the wing membranes can act as acoustical sails. It is a popular myth that the cricket chirps by rubbing its legs together.