Apple not yet aligning iPhone 5 part suppliers, handset may miss fiscal 2011

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Rather than issue a new fifth-generation iPhone this summer as usual, Apple may instead release an iPhone 5 this October or even later, slipping into the company's 2012 fiscal year.

Citing sources in the Chinese supply chain, Macotakara.jp reported Monday (via Google Translate) that Apple is not yet ordering components for its fifth-generation iPhone. The anticipated device is also not expected to contribute to Apple's fiscal 2011.

Apple's fiscal year 2011 concludes on Sept. 24, 2011. If the iPhone 5 were to in fact not contribute to the company's fiscal 2011 bottom line, the new handset would arrive after Sept. 24, making it a late September or early October launch at the earliest.

Monday's report indicated that Apple plans to ship the new iPhone in the "first half" of fiscal 2012. However, it is unlikely that Apple would wait until calendar 2012 to release the iPhone 5 and miss out on the strong holiday buying season.

The report said that Apple, for now, is focused on acquiring new customers for its CDMA handset, which launched in February on the Verizon network in the U.S. The CDMA iPhone 4 uses a different wireless radio than the original GSM-based model, and opens opportunities for new carrier partners for Apple.

Finally, the report also made mention of the rumored aluminum back for the iPhone 5, replacing the existing glass back of the iPhone 4. It appears Apple has toyed with the idea, but has not yet committed to making a radical design change with the next-generation handset.

In February, a separate rumor from overseas revealed that Apple had allegedly built three prototype models for its anticipated iPhone 5, and one of them has a "sliding cover" that conceals a physical keyboard. Another prototype reportedly built by Apple looks largely like the iPhone 4, but has longer battery life and a superior camera.

Monday's overseas reports corroborates a new rumor that Apple will not introduce any new hardware at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, scheduled to kick off June 6. In years past, Apple has used WWDC to debut its next iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    Not necessary a bad thing. It'll save me some money. The iphone is great the way it is anyway. New software features will give it a new life.
  • Reply 2 of 83
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    I dunno, I don't buy it(the story that it will delayed). I would think the least they would do is go to the A5 or dual mode. That said, Im not sure what more hardware can be added to complement the basic features of the phone. Ideas? I'd be happy with an iP4(S?) if it was just upgraded a bit as mentioned. I personnally dont want NFC etc, others may.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    How many more quarters are we to read rumors, speculation, wishes and anticipation about the iPhone 5?
  • Reply 4 of 83
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

n February, a separate rumor from overseas revealed that Apple had allegedly built three prototype models for its anticipated iPhone 5,

I hate to hammer on this so often, but AI really needs to get with the dictionary. Right from the Mac dictionary, you will find that "allegedly" means "said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality." AI constantly uses this word when they really (I presume) mean "supposedly" or "reportedly." The word "allegedly" may sound more weighty and important, but it's not actually the concept you are trying to suggest -- unless you really do mean that the iPhone 5 prototypes are illegal or undesirable.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    If true I'm disappointed. I plan on upgrading to an iphone, and thought at this late date I might as well wait for the iphone5. I hope this is not true.....
  • Reply 6 of 83
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    iPhone 4s/5 will be same design as current model with a few modifications (bigger screen).

iPhone 5/6 which will have complete redesign and May 2012 release.

You don't change a winning formula.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    Actually now, the June (?) white iPhone 4 release makes lots of sense.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr millmoss View Post

i hate to hammer on this so often, but ai really needs to get with the dictionary. Right from the mac dictionary, you will find that "allegedly" means "said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality." ai constantly uses this word when they really (i presume) mean "supposedly" or "reportedly." the word "allegedly" may sound more weighty and important, but it's not actually the concept you are trying to suggest -- unless you really do mean that the iphone 5 prototypes are illegal or undesirable.

✓+

• Reply 9 of 83
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

✓+

How did my quote back become lower-cased?
  • Reply 10 of 83
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    I believe that the only way Apple does a phone with a Slide Cover

will be if they do the phone with that 'Liquid Metal' stuff. For that, they would

Probably have to make their new A6 superchip do a whole lot more, in order to

Keep the price of the thing close to where they could make some money on it.

That will really separate them from the haves and have nots.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avonord View Post

Actually now, the June (?) white iPhone 4 release makes lots of sense.

Here's hoping. Theres still a very good chance that there will skip the white iPhone 4 all together.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    Either Apple is responsible for these rumours so that other manufacturers become complacent, or sometime wants to buy lots of Apple stock at low prices.

As we all know, WWDC has always been about software, and any hardware intros have been incidental and/or convenient... a one-more-thing kind of thing.

I can see Apple doing a 4G(S) with same design but updated processor and increased memory, and maybe a white iP4. The iP4 is such a gorgeous design, I reckon even Jonny Ives is going to struggle to beat it, unless Apple goes all one-piece aluminium and I certainly wouldn't say no to a 4" AirPhone (something similar to the Nokia Communicator 9500 or HTC WinCE devices).
  • Reply 13 of 83
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    This worries me. In a competitive market, I think they'd benefit from revising the phone MORE often than yearly. Less often just doesn't seem like the right answer. We'll see.
  • Reply 14 of 83
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Typical baseless rumor that never pans out because the informant has no special knowledge. It's more likely they are out of the supply chain loop and imagining they know something being kept secret. Apple will keep the exact same schedule as previous. It works.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

This worries me. In a competitive market, I think they'd benefit from revising the phone MORE often than yearly. Less often just doesn't seem like the right answer. We'll see.

Not when most are stuck in a 2 year contract.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

That is weird isn't it!
  • Reply 17 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr millmoss View Post

He probably just lower-cased your name (for... absolutely no reason...). See?
  • Reply 18 of 83
    Quote:

AI constantly uses this word when they really (I presume) mean "supposedly" or "reportedly."

The first two thesaurus entries for "allegedly" are "reportedly" and "supposedly" and not to mention that the dictionary entry says "illegal or undesirable," not necessarily illegal, which the delay in the iPhone 5 could be interpreted as. No need to "hammer on this" so often.
  • Reply 19 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He probably just lower-cased your name (for... absolutely no reason...). See?

There were tons more case changes than the name ... yet not all ... very weird (cue The Twilight Zone music).. :
  • Reply 20 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    As I said in the previous article, this may not be true, Or if true, may mean little. Apple may be having problems with a new design, or they may have changed the design late in the design process, or there may be delays in getting materials or parts from Japanese suppliers, setting plans back for a month or two. Often, apple releases a product, but there is a delay in actual availability.

It doesn't mean that Apple is changing its timing deliberately.