Apple to hold Worldwide Developers Conference June 6 in San Francisco

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Don't bother.

He's a troll of long standing. His favourite position is "never" (on pretty much any topic).

Please stop being so obtuse about everything someone post simply because you refuse to respect opinions different than your own (unreasonably fanatical ones).

I pay at the cash register for products I endorse (many of them Apple) as opposed to just rabidly ranting about them ad nausesm on some internet forum

Anyway... One of the single most appealing aspects of iDevices is their tight integration with Apple's iTunes/Apps Store Ecosystem, and to separate the two would seriously diminish said appeal.

Therefore having "iOS 5 fully untethered" probably won't ever happen.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Given that Apple is now a global company, I wish they would introduce regional sub-WWDC events for developers around the world who can't justify the cost of attending (tickets, flights, hotels, etc). They had an OSX developers roadshow a few years ago which was well received.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Is there a detailed track calendar available? I can only be there for the first three days, and I want to make sure it's worth it. (Yes, I'm sure it will be, but I'd rather not spend $2500+ and miss a critical session)

If anyone has any links, I'd appreciate it.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    I'm looking forward to seeing what Apple has in store for Lion and iOS5 because I can see the two being very tightly integrated and MobileMe being the platform binding it altogether most notably Back To My Mac.

Incidentally I predicted last year with the release of the iPad that what would inevitably happen is Mac OS X Server would be rolled into Mac OS X and your desktop/laptop would serve as a home server that would allow better access to iTunes music and videos etc. From what I'm seeing I must think like Apple because that definitely seems to be the way they are heading. It will probably be one more OS release of Mac OS X before the full vision is completed but they've made a massive jump.

Now all that would remain would be for iOS to make use of the features and that's where I believe iOS5 will come in.

As for being tethered to iTunes... please explain to me how iTunes is any different to Palm's HotSync, Microsoft's ActiveSync, or Nokia's PC Sync? Oh that's right, iTunes offers a more reliable transfer mechanism. Seriously the iTunes detractors haven't thought their visions of iTunes free Utopia out properly.

3G is too limited and slow to be a viable replacement for WiFi. System updates are huge therefore expensive to pull down over 3G dataplans anyway. Desktop connections tend to be more reliable so if you're doing a software upgrade using desktop because it's the more reliable setup iTunes makes sense because it's a centralised system. Otherwise you end up with one application for system updates, one for purchasing apps one for purchasing music one for purchasing books, one for purchasing videos. It makes far more sense to have one for doing all of that.

Can the detractors of iTunes please step up with a workable idea as to how you'd do it without iTunes? Please? I need to know because I'm having difficulty working it all out.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"At this year?s conference we are going to unveil the future of iOS and Mac OS," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "If you are an iOS or Mac OS X software developer, this is the event that you do not want to miss."

That future is iOS only. OSX Lion is the end-of-the-line for OSX. That's pretty clear from all the moves Apple has made.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

That future is iOS only. OSX Lion is the end-of-the-line for OSX. That's pretty clear from all the moves Apple has made.

Right, because there's no future in professional photography, design, video production or audio production?

I have to agree that Apple does seem to have been ignoring that stuff lately, but they can't just have it disappear. There's still a huge market for it.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Right interpretation, wrong answer. OS X Lion is probably the end of the road for the OS X series, not for Mac OS. I fully expect a System 11 (I like the idea of a retro-futurist System [Number] name making a comeback).

I think, with Apple making strides to re-unify iOS and vanilla OS X, one of the things Apple is going to talk about at WWDC is Universal Delivery - we've already seen iOS Apps ported to Mac for the Mac App Store, so it seems like a non-brainer for Apple to unify the Mac App Store and iOS App Store development and delivery processes.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

As in 'free of iTunes' ?

Won't Ever Happen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thenewperson View Post

Uh, why?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

One of the single most appealing aspects of iDevices is their tight integration with Apple's iTunes/Apps Store Ecosystem, and to separate the two would seriously diminish said appeal.

Therefore having "iOS 5 fully untethered" probably won't ever happen.

Uhhh... ....iTunes is an "app" right? So as the processing power of iDevices and the sophistication of iOS increases, why can't that software functionality be in an iDevice version of iTunes? (Note: This might not happen in iOS 5, but I expect it to by iOS 6.)

Syncing - in this scenario - would remain viable and useful when needed for various purposes, but iOS + cloud services would (and I say will) become a complete solution for the growing number who don't really need full-on personal computers to meet their digital needs.

Quote:

No way. People want continuing evolution in their "trucks" as well their mini-bikes and sports cars.

And if you've followed Apple's sales figures, while iDevices are a growing (and leading) percentage of revenue, truck sales are still up quite nicely, thank you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm getting a bit sick of apps, actually. Is it just me?

Actually there's a lot of folk in this camp who are more gearheads than appgeeks. And some who are both. And that - plus religious wars over all kinds of things about every aspect of both - is what makes Techworld go round.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thenewperson View Post

I don't understand. How has it become increasingly tethered? Hasn't it always used iTunes to get updates, backup, sync and transfer files? If anything, it's becoming less tethered from iTunes.

The first iPod allowed you to sync music using iTunes. Then you used iTunes for photos, videos, and small games.

Now you use iTunes to sync all media, books, all kinds of applications, your calendar, files that are sandboxed for specific apps, etc...

Sure, many people use the iPad more independently from their computer, some don't even have a computer for it, but it's not the tethering to your computer that we were talking about. The route between your iOS device and your computer has increasing meant more use of iTunes in many new ways that weren't available before.

So not talking about a requirement to tether your iOS device to your computer, but once that need is established, the requirement to use iTunes has become far more pervasive in the list of features it's used with.

I don't think that's a bad thing at all. I was just pointing out that Apple would not only have to do a 180 (in not requiring iTunes), but a very major 180 that seems to become more significant all the time.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Sold out.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Uhm... have you forgotten this is a developer's conference? It's only about developing software. It's not about third party accessories like cases, unless they interact with the OS in some way. And even so, it's for the developers of said accessories to learn to write code, not to showcase them to the public...

When I mentioned bring on the cases I meant the leaks for iPhone 5 because the case designs have been the most-leaked info, so to speak, on new Apple products.

But since there's not going to be an iPhone 5, I guess it's just about the software, not about any new iPhone.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

No way. People want continuing evolution in their "trucks" as well their mini-bikes and sports cars.

And if you've followed Apple's sales figures, while iDevices are a growing (and leading) percentage of revenue, truck sales are still up quite nicely, thank you.

Is that an Xserve reference?
  • Reply 33 of 33
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Is that an Xserve reference?

Nupe. A personal computer ref.

Jobs referred to PC's (generically) as now being the "trucks" of computing as many people start to find that "post-PC" devices will meet their needs, while emphasizing that many computing needs would always require trucks and Apple was firmly in that business for the long haul.

The two terms were first publicly noted on two separate occasions, btw. The PC's as "trucks" remark came first, during an interview or panel discussion as I recall, while the first time I remember hearing the new classification of iThings as "post-PC devices" - which was instantly picked up by many, including me - was during the intro of the iPad2.

Extending this transport analogy, "Big Iron," a la IBM mainframes, would then be, say, ships and trains (carrying many cargo containers around the globe or across the country at once), and servers (including the discontinued Xserve) would be, I guess, the semi-trucks.

Desktops and notebooks - from Pro to Air and minis would range from Ford X-150's and SUV's to panel vans, mini-trucks, etc. Including Lion Server with all distros of OS X 10.7 only strengthens the metaphor.

Leaving iPads as say, sports cars and pods, phones and touches somewhere between scooters and Harleys. Or something.

But basically, while I'm over-stretching, I liked both analogies as soon as he used 'em.