Apple not yet aligning iPhone 5 part suppliers, handset may miss fiscal 2011

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avonord View Post

Not necessary a bad thing. It'll save me some money. The iphone is great the way it is anyway. New software features will give it a new life.

Given that Apple has indicated that LTE isn't robust enough to support yet what is there to do with the iPhone hardware right now.

So they skip a summer hardware release and use those lines etc for more iPads. Makes some sense.

Then in January they release some crazy killer triple service iPhone 5 and everyone falls to their knees to worship it. Perhaps even keep the phone in the january/february track and slide the iPad to the summer so they can spread the hot sales around. Who knows they might get their heads out of their butts and let the college kiddies use that $200 iPod rebate against on iPad.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If you were right, it would be a problem. Fortunately, you're not, so it isn't.

according to Nielsen [on March 4th, 2011], Apple is ALREADY behind Android and losing marketshare FAST... not that The Nielsen Company is an authority on statistics or anything; we should wait until "Changewave" comes out with another 317-person survey for some REAL data. Neilson has more employees than Changewave has people in it's data puddle.

Apple needs to update the iPhone MUCH more often than once every 12 months, and i don't mean just the color. Look at HTC's refresh rate: THIRTEEN new Android smartphones in the last 12 months. blah blah blah blah quality over quantity. HTC makes a solid product. put iOS on there and i would buy one.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Only in blogosphere do rumors become synonymous with fact. And, sadly even people who consider themselves tech savvy succumb to this:

Rumor=Fact

and Apple Insider become party to this, without injecting any proof of veracity. Worse, it builds on that rumor as if it were already a fact.

To paraphrase you:
    • Rumors abound that the iPad2 would be delayed.

• Rumors abound that the launch of the iPad2 in other countries would be delayed.

• Rumors have been out so many years that the mini-iPhone would come

• Speculations abound that Apple MUST lower its iPad2 price to compete with all those iPad killers.

• etc.

• etc.

Oh, by the way, even the likes of Wall Street, New York Times, and other "reliable" sources of news have not been immune to reporting rumors.

Well, since we are into rumor-mongering, my bold prediction is that Apple will announce a new iPhone in June, as scheduled. Morever, because of the "Antennagate", it would redesign the new iPhone antenna to find a resolution, or at least improve the situation. They are likely to shed the front and back glass design because of the experience with the white iPhone.

No sources to back the predictions, just from observing Apple's previous actions.

June is not too far away to prove whether my predictions are correct or not.

CGC

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

This is sounding exactly like what happened with the iPad 2. There was a post on an obscure Taiwanese blog called Yunatsu, which said that it had sources that confirmed that the iPad 2 was pushed back to June.

As far as I'm concerned, this is nothing but rumors, and if someone is trying to get their hands on Apple stock, then this is market manipulation, plain and simple.

My verdict is: Talk to me after a more credible source (e.g. Wall Street Journal) can confirm this.

• Reply 44 of 83
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Didn't all these rumors abound for the iPad 2 as well? Didn't they all amount to nil?

Likewise the iPad 2 leads the field again and so will the iPhone 5. Even if it isn't the huge leap some imagine the A5, refreshed screeen and likely better camera sensor are more than enough for me and millions of others.
  • Reply 45 of 83
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I hate to hammer on this so often, but AI really needs to get with the dictionary. Right from the Mac dictionary, you will find that "allegedly" means "said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality." AI constantly uses this word when they really (I presume) mean "supposedly" or "reportedly." The word "allegedly" may sound more weighty and important, but it's not actually the concept you are trying to suggest -- unless you really do mean that the iPhone 5 prototypes are illegal or undesirable.

The dictionary is a "learning" dictionary. If you cancel out the suggestions a few times, it learns your new words and typing pattern. I've noticed it being annoying whenever I type on a new iphone but after awhile it seems to learn my typing pattern.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neosum View Post

The dictionary is a "learning" dictionary. If you cancel out the suggestions a few times, it learns your new words and typing pattern. I've noticed it being annoying whenever I type on a new iphone but after awhile it seems to learn my typing pattern.

You are talking about iOS, apparently. I am talking about the Mac.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

The lack of new parts in the supply chain means nothing. I expect the design to be very similar, in which case there wouldn't be many new parts, and what new parts there are may be sourced to new suppliers. Besides that, reports that come from supply chain sources are highly unreliable.

Yup, a white iPhone with the focus being on a huge leap with iOS5.

What exactly is wrong or lacking in the iPhone4 anyway.. I'm not left on any day missing some hardware feature. What are the competitors doing anyway, not much. Is the iPhone4 slow, nope.

iOS 5, focus on delivering the next 5years of mobile platform. It will do more to the phone than a new phone, as long as they are thinking right.
  • Reply 48 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

(1) Verizon customers would be upset if a new iPhone arrived within 6 months of the iPhone 4's first availability on that network (not to mention how haggard Apple engineers would be).

(2) The iPhone 5 will be virtually as fast as the iPad 2.

Therefore... the iPhone 5 will arrive in the fall alongside the iPad 2 HD.

yup? it there is a delay? this is the game plan!
  • Reply 49 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

More obviously to me: Apple have to move away from a predictable schedule as it is ruining a month of sales.

It won't matter, no one is going to buy an iPhone 4 in May anyway. They'll just be upset if a new one isn't introduced and go buy an android. Or not. Personally, my contract is up on 6/17 and I will be upset if I can't get a new iPhone then, and regally peeved if I have to wait another 3+ months.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    I think this is probably BS.....

However, it would be a very cheap ( and plausibly deny able ) way to try and convince Verizon customers, like me, that they should not wait for the iPhone 5.

For the Record, there is no way I would buy an iPhone 4 right now.... ( I would be more likely to get a HTC Thunderbolt with 4G if I had to get a phone right now )

My droid is still kicking ( cracked screen and after being dunked in a lake ) I have waited this long for an iPhone, I can wait a couple of months to see what happens...
  • Reply 51 of 83
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Firstly allegedly is used correctly. Secondly all this means, if true, is that Apple will release a 4gs.

More obviously to me: Apple have to move away from a predictable schedule as it is ruining a month of sales.

How does one "allegedly build three prototype models"? As opposed to "Apple is alleged to have built three prototype models"?

How does this rumor equate to Apple releasing a "4gs"? The product name is a marketing decision where everything seems to be aligning towards Apple going with a 5. There's the A5, and it looks like iOS 5 will be timed around the next iPhone release. Regardless of what it's called, the name is just the name.

As far as the predictable schedule...It may be that the opposite is true. If Apple can allow the speculation of when a product will be updated to affect sales short term, it may simple create a dip in sales right when they need to have the lines retooled to produce the new model. Without the speculation, people may put off sales for much longer periods of time. Apple appears to have this figured out, otherwise, they'd either be announcing things way in advance, or would've moved away from predictable scheduling a long time ago.
  • Reply 52 of 83

ramblings...

We have every version of iPhone.

I have the iP4.

For a while now, I've been anticipating an iP5. As a developer I will buy one.

I would like to see NFC and IR (for universal remote control) -- World Phone would be nice but I, likely, would never need access other than AT&T. A slightly larger screen would be OK -- but not a game changer.

So, what exciting new capabilities can we expect on the small screen form factor of an iPhone?

I don't really see iPhone or iPod Touch capabilities that require the dual dually CPU/GPU.

It maybe would speed up some things -- but the iP4 does things quite well, IMO -- I don't feel constrained by anything but the small screen.

I don't see anything compelling in the hardware of competitive smart phones -- except they may require more robust hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM) to approximate the finely-tuned hardware/software integration of the iP4.

If the A5 chip can make the iPhone 5 perform more efficiently (increased battery life), or make enhanced notifications practical... then fine.

As I see it now, the A4 is well suited for a smart phone, and Apple could choose to stick with that for the iPhones.

OTOH, if there are reasons of economies of scale and standardization that would benefit by using the A5 in all the iDevices.

/ramblings

• Reply 53 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

What exactly is wrong or lacking in the iPhone4 anyway.. I'm not left on any day missing some hardware feature. What are the competitors doing anyway, not much. Is the iPhone4 slow, nope.

You said in a few words what I tried to say in many,,.
  • Reply 54 of 83
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If you were right, it would be a problem. Fortunately, you're not, so it isn't.

Except when it comes to LTE. There is one Verizon LTE Android phone on the market, and another on the way in April. So, there is a likelihood that there won't be an LTE based iPhone until September. I see a lot of people not waiting and getting Droids because I'd rather have a Droid on LTE than an iPhone on CDMA. Just saying... I love Apple, but I, personally, wouldn't wait an eternity if I was getting a smartphone for the first time. Android is certainly good enough.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

How does one "allegedly build three prototype models"? As opposed to "Apple is alleged to have built three prototype models"?

How does this rumor equate to Apple releasing a "4gs"? The product name is a marketing decision where everything seems to be aligning towards Apple going with a 5. There's the A5, and it looks like iOS 5 will be timed around the next iPhone release. Regardless of what it's called, the name is just the name.

As far as the predictable schedule...It may be that the opposite is true. If Apple can allow the speculation of when a product will be updated to affect sales short term, it may simple create a dip in sales right when they need to have the lines retooled to produce the new model. Without the speculation, people may put off sales for much longer periods of time. Apple appears to have this figured out, otherwise, they'd either be announcing things way in advance, or would've moved away from predictable scheduling a long time ago.

By 4gs I mean same components except for the A5 - which they would be ordering anyway for the iPad. this story is based on absence of evidence anyway, but I always assumed no change to the form factor this year.

By iP5 I mean - new hardware design.

No idea why you think allegedly us wrong. Take supposed. Apple is supposed to have cornered the Market in capitative screens = Apple has supposedly cornered the Market etc
  • Reply 56 of 83
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I hate to hammer on this so often, but AI really needs to get with the dictionary. Right from the Mac dictionary, you will find that "allegedly" means "said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality." AI constantly uses this word when they really (I presume) mean "supposedly" or "reportedly." The word "allegedly" may sound more weighty and important, but it's not actually the concept you are trying to suggest -- unless you really do mean that the iPhone 5 prototypes are illegal or undesirable.

Gee, your own definition says "said, without proof, to have taken place". Is that not a pretty good synonym for "reportedly"

Just because it doesn't meet both possible definitions doesn't make it wrong.
  • Reply 57 of 83
    mikemikebmikemikeb Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

I dunno, I don't buy it(the story that it will delayed). I would think the least they would do is go to the A5 or dual mode. That said, Im not sure what more hardware can be added to complement the basic features of the phone. Ideas? I'd be happy with an iP4(S?) if it was just upgraded a bit as mentioned. I personnally dont want NFC etc, others may.

I suspect that NFC is the future for business payment. If Apple can work with other manufacturers to create a standardized format for NFC, then that'll smooth over a lot of interoperability issues. That might be why an iPhone 5 could take so long to release.

As for features, as many others in this thread have said, the current iPhone has plenty of features. I did a little brainstorming, and this is a conservative list at what will probably end up in the next iPhone:

1. A5 chip

2. Current shape (flat back; external side antenna), only with an aluminum back

2a. Modified antenna design which mimics Verizon iPhone 4

3. Higher-resolution camera with 1080/29.97p video recording

4. Dedicated camera shutter button (in wake of Camera+ controversy)

5. NFC device

6. Current screen size/resolution

I don't think there will be an LTE iPhone until 2012 at the earliest, so chips can become smaller and more power-efficient for Apple. So will Apple include an HSPA+ radio on the AT&T version? Remember, HSPA+ has been labelled "4G" by AT&T and T-Mobile. So this creates an interesting question for Apple: If Apple doesn't think LTE is ready for a Verizon 4G device, will they decide to not put an HSPA+ radio into a phone which is likely to compete against a bunch of 4G-capable Android devices in the coming years? Or will they put the 4G into the AT&T iPhone?

If they put the 4G into the AT&T version of a new iPhone, but not the VZ version, won't that create confusion among customers (and "confusion" was the reason for pulling the first Camera+ app release)? So really, there's a chance that the next "iPhone 4G" will be an AT&T exclusive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

iPods are still very much a big deal. The iPod touch is how millions of people without iPhone contracts or monthly bills utilize iOS/spend money on the App Store/iTunes Store/iBookstore.

The one thing that the iPod touch doesn't have is a GPS chip, because GPS is currently tied to the 3G cellular chip. iPod touch-capable location apps like Facebook+Deals are crippled because lack of the GPS. If GPS got integrated into the SoC or WiFi unit, then all iDevices could have integrated GPS, which can only be good for location-based services that seem to be the future of ad monetization, if what I hear is true.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

according to Nielsen [on March 4th, 2011], Apple is ALREADY behind Android and losing marketshare FAST... not that The Nielsen Company is an authority on statistics or anything; we should wait until "Changewave" comes out with another 317-person survey for some REAL data. Neilson has more employees than Changewave has people in it's data puddle.

Apple needs to update the iPhone MUCH more often than once every 12 months, and i don't mean just the color. Look at HTC's refresh rate: THIRTEEN new Android smartphones in the last 12 months. blah blah blah blah quality over quantity. HTC makes a solid product. put iOS on there and i would buy one.

Apple gained marketshare last quarter. It wasn't much, but it was a gain. This was also before Verizon gained the phone, and before other carriers around the world gained it.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Except when it comes to LTE. There is one Verizon LTE Android phone on the market, and another on the way in April. So, there is a likelihood that there won't be an LTE based iPhone until September. I see a lot of people not waiting and getting Droids because I'd rather have a Droid on LTE than an iPhone on CDMA. Just saying... I love Apple, but I, personally, wouldn't wait an eternity if I was getting a smartphone for the first time. Android is certainly good enough.

Not impressed with so called LTE yet, and obviously, neither is Apple. Considering that Apple is still selling out of the iPhone 4, neither are most customers. If Apple could make more, they would sell more.

When you're told to turn off the latest technology because it suck your battery life out, it's not ready for prime time. When it is, Apple will have it.
  • Reply 60 of 83
    muncywebmuncyweb Posts: 157member
    Question: If a the IRS is an unconstitutional entity (ncrepublic.org), and an unconstitutional act is not a law (Supreme Court case Norton v. Shelby County), then does a fiscal year really exist?