Obama tethers an American iPad to his Canadian BlackBerry

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The president of the United States continues to use a RIM BlackBerry, but he's now also carrying an Apple iPad.

The White House, like many other government and corporate organizations, continues to standardize upping RIM's BlackBerry devices for their vaunted security in messaging. But the president isn't waiting for RIM to offer its PlayBook.

At a town hall meeting hosted by Jorge Ramos of Univision, Barack Obama mentioned, "I took my BlackBerry off for this show, because I didn?t want it going off, and that would be really embarrassing. But usually I carry a BlackBerry around."

According to a report by the Wall Street Journal MarketWatch blog, Ramos asked whether the president had an iPad.

"I do have an iPad,? Obama answered, joking that he also has his own computer to the amusement of the audience.

?I mean, Jorge, I?m the president of the United States,? Obama said. ?You think I?ve got to go borrow somebody?s computer? Hey, man, can I borrow your computer? How about you? You?ve got one??

The report says Obama uses his iPad tethered to his BlackBerry, but that nothing was stated about how the president uses the tablet device. Last fall, it was revealed that Apple had contracted with Unisys to "provide maintenance and other services to companies and government agencies that purchase Apple devices."

Unisys had already started deploying iOS apps for government agencies, including a security app for US Department of Homeland Security border patrol agents, designed to allow them to remotely monitor border cameras using iPhones.

The US Army has been using iPhones with customized applications since at least 2008, and armed forces in the UK have also started deploying iOS devices for training purposes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    It would be very interesting to see what (arguably) the most powerful individual in the civilized world uses an iPad for.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    Probably short movies of the kids, playing games, and checking on the US nuclear arsenal like most of us.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It would be very interesting to see what (arguably) the most powerful individual in the civilized world uses an iPad for.

Well, he plays a lot of 'Angry Gaddafi'...
  • Reply 4 of 67
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Black Berry? Seriousely, that's a joke in the making right there. Get it.

I thought you can only tether to a laptop, unless he has it jailbroken. Or am I behind the curve on this one. I don't have a data plan for that so I can't really test.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Obama is loosing his cool. He's still using a blackberry. eeek! His age is showing. It's 2011 already..Android or iOS please.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I thought you can only tether to a laptop, unless he has it jailbroken. Or am I behind the curve on this one. I don't have a data plan for that so I can't really test.

The iPad supports Bluetooth tethering, which I think is what the BB supports as well.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpackman View Post

Probably short movies of the kids, playing games, and checking on the US nuclear arsenal like most of us.

Funny "d"
  • Reply 8 of 67
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    So Obama uses an iPad.....

....... aaaaaaaaand?
  • Reply 9 of 67
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Obama tethers an American iPad to his Canadian BlackBerry

both made in China
  • Reply 10 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

So Obama uses an iPad.....

....... aaaaaaaaand?

They can't say it but it's the newest version of the football...
  • Reply 11 of 67
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpackman View Post

Let's hope that the aforementioned app doesn't become a best-selling app!
  • Reply 12 of 67
    ac88ac88 Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Rovio's newest game, Angry Voters
  • Reply 13 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    That sounds like Obama alright. Saying one thing and then doing the exact opposite himself. I doubt that he bought the iPad for his own money. Maybe Steve Jobs gave him one for free when they had that little dinner get together recently.

The president says the "distraction" created by technologies like Apple's iPad is hurting America. Is he on point ? or just out of touch?

http://theweek.com/article/index/202...ma-vs-the-ipad
  • Reply 14 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Obama is loosing his cool. He's still using a blackberry. eeek! His age is showing. It's 2011 already..Android or iOS please.

I like the guy, but I don't think you could ever really describe him as "cool." He's way to conservative and way to dorky for that moniker IMO.

I mean have you seen him dance?
  • Reply 15 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I mean have you seen him dance?

Have you seen him ride a bicycle?
  • Reply 16 of 67
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I don?t think he has much of a choice in that matter - the government security requirements at his level are not compatible with anything else.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What about a Segway?
  • Reply 18 of 67
    imoanimoan Posts: 56member
    Quote:

. The president says the "distraction" created by technologies like Apple's iPad is hurting America. Is he on point ? or just out of touch?

http://theweek.com/article/index/202...ma-vs-the-ipad

I think he was on point with the woman in the mall who fell into a water fountain while texting.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    Quote:

Well he's got George Bush beat all to hell and he *can* dance.

I just meant he's more Urkel than James Brown.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Well he's got George Bush beat all to hell and he *can* dance.

I would have to disagree.