Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference sells out in record 10 hours

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's annual developers conference has sold out less than 12 hours after the company began accepting registrations, setting a new record for ticket sales and underscoring the popularity and developer interest surrounding company's mobile and traditional operating system.

Apple began accepting registrations at 8:30 a.m. eastern time on Monday, but by 6:30 p.m., the $1599 conference had completely sold out. That's more than seven times as fast as last year's sellout, which took just 8 days.

The Cupertino, Calif., company announced on Monday that the event will run from June 6 through June 10 in San Francisco at the Moscone West center, which can accommodate roughly 5,000 attendees.

"At this year?s conference we are going to unveil the future of iOS and Mac OS," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "If you are an iOS or Mac OS X software developer, this is the event that you do not want to miss."

However, a number of corporate developers have reported missing out on this year's event, as the conference sold out faster than they could secure approval for funds and other preparations necessary to attend.

Details of specific sessions have yet to be released, though Apple has reiterated its commitment to gaming by creating a Graphics, Media and Games technology track at the conference for the first time ever. Other tracks, which include Application Frameworks, Internet & Web, Developer Tools, and Core OS, are identical to last year's program.

Given the so-called 'gold rush' of developers drawn to the iOS platforms and record sales of Macs and the recently launched Mac App Store, this year's WWDC has drawn unprecedented attention. The fact that WWDC took four weeks to sell out in 2009 and just 8 days in 2010 serves as evidence of the significant increase of developer interest in Apple.

Although Apple has traditionally revealed an annual update to the iPhone at the conference, recent reports have suggested that the company will hold off on releasing a new device at the show, instead using the event to focus on software.

One rumor had suggested that Apple would preview the next version of iOS at WWDC, instead of at a press event in the spring as in years past. According to the report, iOS 5, which will reportedly include substantial integration with cloud-based services, would not be available until this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    mikemikebmikemikeb Posts: 113member
    Yikes. While it's nice to say your conference was sold out quickly, the bean counter side of me says that a quick sellout means millions of dollars left on the table. Bet the price goes way up next year.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    Demand outstrips supply once again. Hey, what about the Staples center in LA, or the Coliseum?
  • Reply 3 of 59
    Geez how quick can these go. Not even half a day, and they're all gone. Apple will need to find some bigger venue for WWDC.
  • Reply 4 of 59
    gumguygumguy Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's annual developers conference has sold out less than 12 hours after the company began accepting registrations, setting a new record for ticket sales and underscoring the popularity and developer interest surrounding company's mobile and traditional operating system.

Apple began accepting registrations at 8:30 eastern time on Monday, but by 6:30, the $1599 conference had completely sold out. That's more than seven times as fast as last year's sellout, which took just 8 days.

The Cupertino, Calif., company announced on Monday that the event will run from June 6 through June 10 in San Francisco at the Moscone West center, which can accommodate roughly 5,000 attendees.

A number of corporate developers have reported missing out in this year's event, as the conference sold out faster than they could secure approval for funds and other preparations necessary to attend.

Details of specific sessions have yet to be released, though Apple has reiterated its commitment to gaming by creating a Graphics, Media and Games technology track at the conference for the first time ever.

Although Apple has traditionally revealed an annual update to the iPhone at the conference, recent reports have suggested that the company will hold off on releasing a new device at the show, instead using the event to focus on software.

Developing...

Well obviously Apple has the interest and could very well likely sign more folks up. Why not get Moscone North and/or South also?
  • Reply 5 of 59
    I interviewed the president of Newsy today who mentioned the WWDC and that their additional funding would go to paying for things like the WWDC (he was sort of joking really). I almost told him "better sign up now, WWDC sells out fast" but didn't. I should have.

By the way, their apps for iPhone and iPad were updated pretty quickly to make them AirPlay-enabled -- good for them. I'm still waiting to see other media companies do the same. (The NPR, ESPN and SPIN Play apps, all developed by Bottle Rocket, did the same pretty fast, as well.)
  • Reply 6 of 59
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I didn't say this for a while so I am going to say it now.

Apple is Doomed!™

• Reply 7 of 59
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:

One rumor has suggested that Apple will preview the next version of iOS at WWDC...

Well, now, how did you come to that conclusion? Oh, right, earlier when you wrote:

Quote:

"At this year?s conference we are going to unveil the future of iOS and Mac OS," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Glass building in a earthquake zone, long lines for escalators, what could go wrong?
  • Reply 9 of 59
    zarenzaren Posts: 49member
    I asked the boss if I could go, and he was actually looking into it! I had no idea it would sell out *that* fast.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    Wow! Seems everything Apple does is successful! Good for Apple!
  • Reply 11 of 59
    With the conference selling out so quickly, I'm wondering how long before they start doing a second conference.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Wow! Seems everything Apple does is successful! Good for Apple!

It would be nice if they had a larger venue for this.

Or even have several development conferences around the world. Not with a 1st day special event, of course, but with seminars for developing for Mac OS and iOS so that those with less money, less time to travel can enjoy the seminars outside of the SF.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sue Denim View Post

Glass building in a earthquake zone, long lines for escalators, what could go wrong?

No one should ever build anything where an earthquake, tsunami, hurricane, tornado, or meteorite could hit.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

With the conference selling out so quickly, I'm wondering how long before they start doing a second conference.

I don?t see a dual conference happening now. Before it seemed like a possibility that they could do one for iOS and one for Mac OS, but that obviously isn?t the case.

I?d like to Apple-funded sister conferences for WWDC. Based on their growth rate, number of apps and profit I think they could do 25k attendees that week.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It would be nice if they had a larger venue for this.

How many places were on offer? Seems to me to be undercatered.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Yes.. Everyone who works in a glass building in SF or any seismic zone should never go to work
  • Reply 16 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No one should ever build anything where an earthquake, tsunami, hurricane, tornado, or meteorite could hit.

Floods, though? Pshh. Roll out the cranes and bulldozers!
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Floods, though? Pshh. Roll out the cranes and bulldozers!

I knew I forgot one.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Quote:

That's more than seven times as fast as last year's sellout, which took just 8 days.

Technically, but rounding 19.2 to "more than seven" is a bit strange.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I didn't say this for a while so I am going to say it now.

Apple is Doomed!?

Which means AAPL at fire-sale prices!!!
  • Reply 20 of 59
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Dunno... go stand in one and get back to us.