Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference sells out in record 10 hours

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post

Technically, but rounding 19.2 to "more than seven" is a bit strange.

I didn?t get that either. Even if they rounded the 10 hours to a simplified day it?s still 8x faster right?
  • Reply 22 of 59
    We've all known that the main reason Macs don't get viruses is because there were so few of them, relatively speaking. Now this extremely quick sell out of WWDC is just a clue that the popularity of Apple products is growing so fast that viruses are now inevitable. There are some out there now but they are rare.

At what percentage of market share will Apple's Macs be regularly assaulted by viruses? Is Apple creating their own anti-virus software in house? How much will such a program slow our computers?

IOS devices are probably safer since every program that goes on to an iPad, iPod, or iPhone must go through Apple first.

I'm thinking it's time for me to get serious about using Linux. How about you?
  • Reply 23 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

We've all known that the main reason Macs don't get viruses is because there were so few of them, relatively speaking.

That is inaccurate on so many levels.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    The problem with multiple WWDC's is Apple's own developers run the sessions at the conference. And it doesn't make sense to split them into two conferences as there is a lot of overlap (by desing) between MacOS and iOS, including the same tools and many of the same frameworks. An overlap that should only increase over time. A single conference helps highlight this overlap and encourage developers to develop for both simultaneously.

I do agree they should find a larger venue, even if it means paying the expense of having their own people travel to another town for the week. With a venue with 4x the capacity, they could reach 4x the number of developers. Clearly there is the demand for something like that.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It would be nice if they had a larger venue for this.

Or even have several development conferences around the world. Not with a 1st day special event, of course, but with seminars for developing for Mac OS and iOS so that those with less money, less time to travel can enjoy the seminars outside of the SF.

Apple's cost to run a developer conference are not trivial. Running multiple developer conferences around the globe gets very expensive, very fast.

It's one thing to send several trucks forty miles up I-280, tell your 1000 participating engineers to file expense reports for the commute (half of whom probably live in the City anyhow), and tell them to sleep at home.

It's another thing to fly hundreds of systems, people, marketing materials to convention centers around the world where you might contend with ornery, recalcitrant union electricians, and put up your employees in $200-300 hotel rooms.

The SF Bay Area has very few venues for this type of event, maybe the Santa Clara convention center is the only one that's close, but it's a shabbier venue. Steve probably hates it.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I knew I forgot one.

What about Potato Famine... Potato Famine never gets a fair shake...
  • Reply 27 of 59
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

We're getting there quick with the monocultures we're growing today. Due mostly to the fast food establishments.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

Demand outstrips supply once again. Hey, what about the Staples center in LA, or the Coliseum?

There are multiple venues in the area. San Jose, San Fran and not to mention various Universities can handle this conference without the need to go to L.A.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Apple's cost to run a developer conference are not trivial. Running multiple developer conferences around the globe gets very expensive, very fast.

It's one thing to send several trucks forty miles up I-280, tell your 1000 participating engineers to file expense reports for the commute (half of whom probably live in the City anyhow), and tell them to sleep at home.

It's another thing to fly hundreds of systems, people, marketing materials to convention centers around the world where you might contend with ornery, recalcitrant union electricians, and put up your employees in $200-300 hotel rooms.

The SF Bay Area has very few venues for this type of event, maybe the Santa Clara convention center is the only one that's close, but it's a shabbier venue. Steve probably hates it.

They have several facilities. You clearly haven't done your research well.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

In San Francisco? Pssh. This ain't Ireland. The Organic Gluten-Free? Soybean Famine.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Apple's cost to run a developer conference are not trivial.

Apple's resources are not trivial either. And it behooves them if they want even more non-trivial billions of $ in their coffers, to make WWDC accessible to the developers who want to attend, as those developers directly contribute 30% to Apple every time one of their Apps is sold. This is not rocket science.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

We've all known that the main reason Macs don't get viruses is because there were so few of them, relatively speaking. Now this extremely quick sell out of WWDC is just a clue that the popularity of Apple products is growing so fast that viruses are now inevitable. There are some out there now but they are rare.

At what percentage of market share will Apple's Macs be regularly assaulted by viruses? Is Apple creating their own anti-virus software in house? How much will such a program slow our computers?

IOS devices are probably safer since every program that goes on to an iPad, iPod, or iPhone must go through Apple first.

I'm thinking it's time for me to get serious about using Linux. How about you?

Ah, our first catch, er, I mean troll, of the day!
  • Reply 33 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

Yikes. While it's nice to say your conference was sold out quickly, the bean counter side of me says that a quick sellout means millions of dollars left on the table. Bet the price goes way up next year.

Sounds to me like they need a bigger facility to hold this thing. They could probably sell out 10K tickets.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

Demand outstrips supply once again. Hey, what about the Staples center in LA, or the Coliseum?

Matter of fact, it might be a good idea to hold these conferences in multiple locations simultaneously. They could livestream a 3D RED Epic version of the keynote to conference locations in New York, Los Angeles, SF, Dallas, and maybe even in Europe or Asia (barring time zone issues).
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Apple's resources are not trivial either. And it behooves them if they want even more non-trivial billions of $ in their coffers, to make WWDC accessible to the developers who want to attend, as those developers directly contribute 30% to Apple every time one of their Apps is sold. This is not rocket science.

I didn?t understand his response to me. It?s a strawman to argue that the cost?s aren?t trivial. Developing the iPhone isn?t trivial, but they do it. Machining aluminum cases for most their HW products isn?t trivial, but they do it.

The 30% take from the App Store aside ? not to mention increasing the Mac and iOS-based iDevice ecosystem ? I don?t think $1,500 per person for a 5k member seminar is a trivial take for 4 days. It?s trivial profit compared to their other endeavors, but I?m sure they still profit from it directly, even if excluding the longterm indirect profits.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

They have several facilities. You clearly haven't done your research well.

What other local facilities would suit this type of event?

Not Santa Clara Convention Center. Certainly not the large sports arenas (which couldn't be booked for the 8-10 days necessary for setup/event/teardown). Not Fort Mason. Not the San Mateo Event Center. Not the Alameda County Fairgrounds. Not the Cow Palace.

Apple is quite familiar with what Moscone Center offers and the fact that they are only renting out Moscone West may indicate that the North and South Halls do not provide the necessary elements.

There are probably logistical issues in trying to run this event out of multiple, unrelated facilities like hotels. There are probably security/control issues trying to do this at a university.

Which is why almost any larger technology tradeshow lands in one of two places: Moscone or Santa Clara.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    srathisrathi Posts: 29member
    Google I/O 2011 sold out in 59 minutes!
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Quote:

There are probably logistical issues in trying to run this event out of multiple, unrelated facilities like hotels. There are probably security/control issues trying to do this at a university.

Sure there are logistical issues with multiple hotels, but you can't expect to run a large conference as easily as a smaller one. I've been to conferences that did exactly that, including in San Francisco.

My take on this is that the only solution that would work for WWDC is to hold one conference at a larger venue (which could be a group of hotels near each other.) That's because WWDC affects the work schedule of Apple's engineers. Once a year, instead of doing their usual work, the engineers prepare their WWDC sessions, then spend a week at WWDC presenting and talking with attendees. I seriously doubt Apple would be willing to interrupt work to that extent more than once a year. Also, attendees would want all the engineers available at one conference.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by srathi View Post

It?s ½ the duration and cost ⅓ the price. You don?t think that affects the number of potential buyers? Being at the same venue doesn?t mean that everything else is on par.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by srathi View Post

List price is one third of apple's price plus discounts for the "Academia" and "Early Bird."

I think you cannot compare the two.

Early Bird Price (until 4/16/11)- $450

List Price (starting 4/17/11)\t - $550

Academia (student, faculty)\t - $150

http://www.google.com/events/io/2011/register.html